OMG....My New Remlin Model 60
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: OMG....My New Remlin Model 60

Tenderfoot
    Member #

OMG....My New Remlin Model 60

About 2 weeks ago I bought my second Model 60 from Wal-Mart. The first one a 60SS was about 3 years old and it followed my youngest son home. So, I bought a second one about 2-3 weeks ago....this time blued and made by Remlin..........Okay here goes: After waiting my 5 working days, the manager walked me out of the store with it and finally let me hold it.....I didn't even go home, I went straight to the range to try it out.....I noticed when I got there that the iron sights were canted. I put a scope on it and started to sight it in.....It turned out to be a bolt-action rifle, and simply would not operate in a semi-auto manner. As I worked the bolt it ejected an unfired round....worked the bolt again and it fired...that is, it fired every other time.....mailed it back to remlin....called them last Friday and they said they had received it, but they didn't have any idea how long it might take to fix it.....Anyway, now we'll see what they do with it...can they fix the cant in the iron sights? can they fix the semi-auto function? will they tell me what they did and what was wrong....stay tuned, I'm anxious to report the results here.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I have one to many model 60 Marlins from the 70's that shoot to even think about buying a new Rem.

So sorry to hear your problems with these new Marlin's!

ca'jun56
    Boobarzo, rob42049 and gunscrewguy like this.
    Lache Pas La Patate
    Old Phart # 138
    Team .32 Special
    Team Winchester # 118
    Team Marlin .35 # 780

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Aligater View Post
    About 2 weeks ago I bought my second Model 60 from Wal-Mart. The first one a 60SS was about 3 years old and it followed my youngest son home. So, I bought a second one about 2-3 weeks ago....this time blued and made by Remlin..........Okay here goes: After waiting my 5 working days, the manager walked me out of the store with it and finally let me hold it.....I didn't even go home, I went straight to the range to try it out.....I noticed when I got there that the iron sights were canted. I put a scope on it and started to sight it in.....It turned out to be a bolt-action rifle, and simply would not operate in a semi-auto manner. As I worked the bolt it ejected an unfired round....worked the bolt again and it fired...that is, it fired every other time.....mailed it back to remlin....called them last Friday and they said they had received it, but they didn't have any idea how long it might take to fix it.....Anyway, now we'll see what they do with it...can they fix the cant in the iron sights? can they fix the semi-auto function? will they tell me what they did and what was wrong....stay tuned, I'm anxious to report the results here.
    Chalk this up as a lesson in WHY SOMEONE SHOULD NOT BUY A REMLIN OF ANY MODEL!
    I hope it comes back to you, working the way it was designed to.
    Andrew
    The Gene Pool is in need of a lot of Chlorine!

Better yet, drain the entire pool!

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I've got/ had 3 remlins. 2 795s and a XT22M. Other than being a little cheap in the build they all work flawlessly. First 795 I tuned up for my grown son who won his Appleseed hat first time out with peep sjghts. I put a walnut stock on the second 795 with a 1.75X4 scope and is my second fave .22, second only to my 989M2 bought as a kid. The XT is a laminate stocked model and shot great right out of the box.
    gunscrewguy likes this.
    You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership D.D.E.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Disappointed yet not supprised
    GasGuzzler likes this.

Deadeye
    Member #
    Sorry to hear you had the trouble. Also sorry you will have the wait on the rifle. I am also waiting to hear and see what they do to rectify the problem.

I have two New Marlins and one JM Marlin. All of mine has been flawless. My model 60 has had 0 problems and I also bought it from Wal-Mart. Just your luck of the draw that you got a bad one. Hate to hear that. I am sure they will get the problem fixed. Like said my New Marlins are flawless. It's not like S&W, Ruger, or any of the other major manufactures have any problems ever. Maybe we should hope that Remington sells the company to China or Japan. I am glad that Remington makes the Marlin brand still in the United States. As for the people that keep trashing the company you are also trashing several people on this forum. But some people are never happy with change. They won't buy S&W new, Ruger new or any firearm new. They want the old craftsmen of gone days. My new Marlins compared to my 1955 Marlin are built just as nice and shoot just as accurate. Does Remington have their problems, everyone knows that they do. They should have never made hand guns and should have never put the earlier Marlin rifles out until they had them dialed in. But all companies do this. They have employees to pay and investors to keep happy. That is just the way the World is now a days. This could be such a great forum, but the slamming gets old fast.
    Aim Small, Miss Small

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
    This could be such a great forum, but the slamming gets old fast.
    So does the garbage being put to market right now. My newest factory built gun is eight years old and I'll likely never buy anything newer than the 1990's ever again...and I am not yet 45 years of age. The trash put out by several companies has turned away two entire generations of customers. If Remlin doesn't want to hear that, start making better products with wood other than plywood, no plastic parts, no pot metal parts, sights that are straight, semi-autos that function, etc.
    jog, Boobarzo and redhawk0 like this.
    Marlins: 1951 336RC .30-30 - 1951 39A "Peanut" - 1988 Model 60 (22" blued)
    Bangin' Blackhawks Member #30 Team .22 Mag Member #69 Team 30-30 Member #1328 Team Rossi #77

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Not defending Marlin here however. Most guns need the gummy oil/ grease that comes from the factory cleaned off and out of the weapon before shooting them. That stuff is like cosmoline. It isn't oil or lube. You should have noticed the canted sites in the store before purchasing. How accurate was it? How about the fit and finish?
    Not responsible for what people think, just what I am.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by electricmo View Post
    You should have noticed the canted sites in the store before purchasing.
    Problem is, many stores won't let you touch the gun until they give it to you as you leave the store.
    Team 60 #492

Never, under any circumstances, take a laxative and sleeping pill on the same night.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    CT made Marlin 60 are avail and not too tough to find.I see them at pawn shops quite a bit.You can pick one up for the same or less than a Remlin.Internet gun auctions have plenty of older marlins too.
    cajun56 and GasGuzzler like this.
    "Welcome to my home, the locked door you just kicked in was for your protection, not mine!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links