Not a rant but an update on my Remington Marlin purchases!
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree366Likes

Thread: Not a rant but an update on my Remington Marlin purchases!

Contributing Member
    Member #

Not a rant but an update on my Remington Marlin purchases!

So as some of you know, as an FFL dealer, I decided to try selling the new Remington Marlins. To date my first Marlin purchase was an 1895 GBL, it was very nice. I inspected it, put it out for sale, and it sold with zero issues. Have not heard anything from the customer so no news is good news! They just need to fill out the registration form I gave them so that the rifle is covered by Davidsons (my distributor).

So, based on that experience I ordered two more, a Marlin 336 stainless in 30-30, and received it today, it is very nice, the lever is a little sharper than I'd like but overall fit and finish are satisfactory. The factory checkering isn't wonderful, but it seemed pretty deep and if you did not have a JM stamped to put up against it as I do, I think you would be satisfied!

I also ordered a 1895G 45-70 blued. It also arrived today with the Marlin 336 SS. This one when I inspected it was VERY nice looking, wood was dark fit and finish looked great, except when I shouldered it. It LOOKED like it had a canted barrel, but I think it might be either a bent rear buckhorn sight OR the dovetail is not cut straight. I have seen where the dovetail on the buckhorn itself is welded on crooked, but bottom line, it is going back. Not going to chance to scratch it trying to fix it myself. So, the current score! mazer 2 to Remington Marlin 1

Things are still going in my favor! I am going to keep track here of the Marlins I send back, which, if I get a good one on the second go around is fine, but it would NOT be fine if I needed that rifle by to say, the weekend that I have a show!

That said, I will get a new rifle in a few days and we'll see if the next candidate passes muster. Worse case, if it appears that the 1895G's are having issues, I'll not purchase them again.

6/6/19 Fixed the issue myself! All good now, pulled the screws in the 1894, cleaned them again, and this time soaked them in Ballistol. . Cheers!

Mazer

Last edited by mazer; 06-06-2019 at 03:51 PM.
    Ret_Eng, Stickman, JACKTW and 26 others like this.
    Lots of Marlins!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Mazer, thank you for the report and yes, keep the updates coming as I'm sure I'm not alone being interested.

One thing that folks might want is pictures of the Marlins you get in. If it's not to much trouble please post photos.

Jack
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Here are a few pics of the Marlin 336SS
    78MqWrS.jpg
    GmjI7fF.jpg
    2eteUUc.jpg
    Last edited by mazer; 10-25-2018 at 12:40 PM.
    Lots of Marlins!

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #
    The checkering on the newer ones is horrible looking. Functional, but whatever machine they're using to do it does not leave aesthetically pleasing wood.

I was going to go over the checkering on mine to clean up and sharpen the diamonds, but dang checkering tools are pricey!
    mazer, bandit1250 and gunscrewguy like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I agree, it looks "okay", but I don't get a choice to have "checkered" or "smooth" furniture! Hopefully, that gets improved.
    Last edited by Dawei; 10-26-2018 at 06:17 AM.
    Travlin, Maineiac and gunscrewguy like this.
    Lots of Marlins!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mazer View Post
    I agree, it looks "okay", but i don't get a choice to have "checkered" or "smooth" furniture! Hopefully that gets improved.
    Well, I admit to being a picky fellow so when it comes to their checkering, I reject them. Yet, I've viewed two recent builds that had what appeared to be lazer checkering that looked acceptable.

I'd prefer smooth stocks over their poor checkering but appreciate the checkering CT put out.

That said, the fit and finish has improved.

Jack
    Last edited by JACKTW; 10-25-2018 at 05:05 PM. Reason: added clarity
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    If I get a chance later today, I'll take a pic of my 2008 JM Marlin 336SS checkering next to this one and the differences are a LOT more apparent!
    JACKTW, Travlin, miket156 and 2 others like this.
    Lots of Marlins!

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Thank you for providing an updated status on the new Marlins.
    mazer, gunscrewguy and Gabby1956 like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    It will be interesting to see what the current return rate is. Thank you for keeping us in the loop.
    mazer, miket156 and gunscrewguy like this.
    "That wasn't shootin, that was killin" -- Rafe Covington

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyeshooter View Post
    It will be interesting to see what the current return rate is. Thank you for keeping us in the loop.
    Yea, hoping it isn't too bad... I am more particular than most dealers evidently since my distributor was already questioning as to the "why" I returned it. But, I did warn them that if something isn't right, it was going back BEFORE I let a customer handle it! Especially the canted barrel and/or bent buckhorn.

I think that the reason so many of these get by is that you automatically compensate for the "twist" when holding and sighting the rifle, but if you put the rifle in a rest, it forces you to look straight down the barrel and that is where it REALLY jumps out at you! I noticed it right off the bat, but I am used to lever guns!

We'll see! Worse case I guess I could start stocking Winnies and the Italian levers... but at a cost of almost 2-1 vs a Marlin... well... I don't want to have to sit on the rifle too long to sell them!
    Last edited by Dawei; 10-26-2018 at 03:14 PM.
    Lots of Marlins!

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links