Not a rant but an update on my Remington Marlin purchases! - Page 7
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Like Tree339Likes

Thread: Not a rant but an update on my Remington Marlin purchases!

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I'll get some pics out tomorrow afternoon Jack, PM me your email address so I can attach 4 or 5 at a time.
    mazer
    JACKTW likes this.
    Lots of Marlins!

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Started purchasing for the next hunting season....I just received two more of the 16" stainless Trappers in 45-70...they look great, and cycle great, also got a new 336SS and it is also very nice! I still check all my Marlins for fit and finish, but they are looking very nice so far! I am saving up for a few each of the Marlin Dark series! I want one of each for myself...and a few more to sell!
    Also picked up a new Henry with the loading gate in 30-30 (to see how it sells, kind of pricey and a bit flashy with the brass receiver), a few Mossberg levers...I picked up a new Winchester limited in 45-90.....but decided to keep that(which is why I never make money)! It's a deluxe take down!
    I'll take pics of the dark series when they come in. You all have seen the stainless trappers!
    Lots of Marlins!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    mazer, I'd still appreciate viewing those GBL pictures when you get a chance.

Jack
    marlinluvr, mazer and Maineiac like this.
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKTW View Post
    mazer, I'd still appreciate viewing those GBL pictures when you get a chance.

Jack
    +1!
    mazer likes this.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mazer View Post
    Started purchasing for the next hunting season....I just received two more of the 16" stainless Trappers in 45-70...they look great, and cycle great, also got a new 336SS and it is also very nice! I still check all my Marlins for fit and finish, but they are looking very nice so far! I am saving up for a few each of the Marlin Dark series! I want one of each for myself...and a few more to sell!
    Also picked up a new Henry with the loading gate in 30-30 (to see how it sells, kind of pricey and a bit flashy with the brass receiver), a few Mossberg levers...I picked up a new Winchester limited in 45-90.....but decided to keep that(which is why I never make money)! It's a deluxe take down!
    I'll take pics of the dark series when they come in. You all have seen the stainless trappers!
    JACKTW & marlinluvr:
    Let me get a few more in stock....I sold them so fast last time and Marlin is just starting to put them out again! I'll order two more and take pics next to my JM stamped GBL!!

GBL's should be here Friday! 5/24.
    Last edited by mazer; 05-22-2019 at 10:06 AM.
    rob42049, JACKTW, Toby Joe and 2 others like this.
    Lots of Marlins!

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mazer View Post
    JACKTW & marlinluvr:
    Let me get a few more in stock....I sold them so fast last time and Marlin is just starting to put them out again! I'll order two more and take pics next to my JM stamped GBL!!

GBL's should be here Friday! 5/24.
    Mazer,
    I've been reading through this whole thread on your experiences as an FFL with the new Marlins. I WISH I had read this thread before buying the two that I have recently acquired. First, I would have likely tried buying through you if I knew what I know now.
    Anyway, live and learn. I bought an 1894 CSBL (my first new Marlin) on GB. When it arrived, I looked it over to the best of my ability. I also took some dummy rounds and cycled through the gun a few times and didn't feel any issues. Took it home and cleaned it, then test fired a few times. All was good, with one exception: The magazine is very difficult to load, and I'm fairly certain the issue is the sharp edges in the receiver "entry" for the magazine that has no radius/chamfer or anything else. I believe this is common on these guns, and I plan to have some work done on that soon enough, or may do it myself. I won't send it back to Marlin for that reason. Fit and finish is very nice, action is slick and smooth to operate (lots of sharp edges internally, but that is more stuff that is not that difficult to make right)
    Now for the 2nd rifle: I had an itch for the big brother to the one above in 44 mag, so I bought an 1894 SBL, also on GB. By the date codes these were made exactly one day apart from each other in March of this year! I did the same when it arrived at my FFL as I did with the first one, and knew that it wasn't as "good" as the first one but I accepted it and took it home. I should have looked it over better. The action is tight about mid-cycle (it actually makes a clicking noise at a slow steady movement of the lever) about the time that it engages the carrier assembly. The tang is not mating flush with the stock. The tang screw is about 1/8" below the tang surface instead of flush. The stock checkering is noticeably lesser detail and quality compared to the one above. The magazine tube holes are very tight and make disassembly and reassembly difficult. Overall, I think I've just got to give Marlin a call and see what kind of luck I can have with their warranty service.
    With all that being said and with what I've read on this forum about warranty work, I'm uncertain about what I can even expect from Marlin? BUT, these rifles are too expensive to accept the issues that I've discovered since taking ownership on this particular rifle. So if you don't mind, I'd like to hear what you think from what I've just divulged and any advice that you may have would be much appreciated.
    Also, please excuse me if I shouldn't have posted this here on your thread. I thought that my experiences do sort of tie into your thread though, as you have detailed the good and the bad with your experiences as an FFL and with a good number of these new Marlins. And I really do like the first one that I got -- it's a keeper. I just hope that I end up with the same on this last one. Pardon me now, I've got to go eat a large portion of "humble pie"....
    Last edited by Toby Joe; 05-25-2019 at 08:14 PM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    First up, welcome to Marlin Owners, Toby. Sorry to hear you got an unsatisfactory Marlin which happens all too often. When you call Marlin, by pass customer service and ask for the tech department. You should have a better experience.

If not, shoot me a PM as I have a contact in tech that will take very good care of you and make sure your rifle is fixed right.

Jack
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Sorry to hear about your problems Toby! Seems like the remlins are still being produced and is EXACTLY why I would even think about buying a Marlin unless it was JM stamped!
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Toby Joe View Post
    Mazer,
    I've been reading through this whole thread on your experiences as an FFL with the new Marlins. I WISH I had read this thread before buying the two that I have recently acquired. First, I would have likely tried buying through you if I knew what I know now.
    Anyway, live and learn. I bought an 1894 CSBL (my first new Marlin) on GB. When it arrived, I looked it over to the best of my ability. I also took some dummy rounds and cycled through the gun a few times and didn't feel any issues. Took it home and cleaned it, then test fired a few times. All was good, with one exception: The magazine is very difficult to load, and I'm fairly certain the issue is the sharp edges in the receiver "entry" for the magazine that has no radius/chamfer or anything else. I believe this is common on these guns, and I plan to have some work done on that soon enough, or may do it myself. I won't send it back to Marlin for that reason. Fit and finish is very nice, action is slick and smooth to operate (lots of sharp edges internally, but that is more stuff that is not that difficult to make right)
    Now for the 2nd rifle: I had an itch for the big brother to the one above in 44 mag, so I bought an 1894 SBL, also on GB. By the date codes these were made exactly one day apart from each other in March of this year! I did the same when it arrived at my FFL as I did with the first one, and knew that it wasn't as "good" as the first one but I accepted it and took it home. I should have looked it over better. The action is tight about mid-cycle (it actually makes a clicking noise at a slow steady movement of the lever) about the time that it engages the carrier assembly. The tang is not mating flush with the stock. The tang screw is about 1/8" below the tang surface instead of flush. The stock checkering is noticeably lesser detail and quality compared to the one above. The magazine tube holes are very tight and make disassembly and reassembly difficult. Overall, I think I've just got to give Marlin a call and see what kind of luck I can have with their warranty service.
    With all that being said and with what I've read on this forum about warranty work, I'm uncertain about what I can even expect from Marlin? BUT, these rifles are too expensive to accept the issues that I've discovered since taking ownership on this particular rifle. So if you don't mind, I'd like to hear what you think from what I've just divulged and any advice that you may have would be much appreciated.
    Also, please excuse me if I shouldn't have posted this here on your thread. I thought that my experiences do sort of tie into your thread though, as you have detailed the good and the bad with your experiences as an FFL and with a good number of these new Marlins. And I really do like the first one that I got -- it's a keeper. I just hope that I end up with the same on this last one. Pardon me now, I've got to go eat a large portion of "humble pie"....
    Hi Toby! Welcome to the forum!
    Well, I wish I could say that Marlin was "over" it's QC issues, but, I will say that overall I am satisfied with the quality of the firearms I've received from them. As you've read, they are not "perfect" and as you see even if a rifle looks good on the outside you can't know till you take it to the range if it will function as advertised. A few things, on your first rifle, if you aren't absolutely sure you can do the work then send it back to Marlin and DEFINITELY take JACKTW up on his offer to give you his contact in Marlin. I've used him and still communicate with him on a steady basis. Your rifle will be fixed correctly, both of them!
    What you are experiencing is why i still say "never buy a Marlin "sight unseen""....and why I use Davidson's. Yes, they are more expensive as a distributor, but that "replacement warranty" is gold "if" you need it!
    Let me know how things go, with what you decide, but I'd send "at a minimum" your second rifle back first, but my concern is that if you go into your rifles on your own and "fix it" you may void your warranty. So be careful what you do! Sometimes just cleaning the mag tube and changing your mag tube follower from plastic to stainless steel (they are available out there) will fix your issue.
    I'm going to be taking pics today of a Remlin GBL next to my JM stamped GBL for comparisons. So that may interest you!
    So hang in there! Don't give up on Marlin yet! Took me 10 years to finally decide to add them to the lever guns I sell (currently that is Rossi(Taurus), Mossberg, Winchester, Henry(so far just the loading gate henrys, but going to add some .22's, Uberti and now Marlin)
    Oh, and that is why this thread is in the RANT forum, honestly I thought I would have a LOT more to rant about, but so far it hasn't been bad....last batch of Marlins have been very nice actually! Waiting for the Dark Series to come out and I may actually purchase one of each for myself as well as for the table!
    Cheers!
    Mazer
    Toby Joe likes this.
    Lots of Marlins!

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by marlinluvr View Post
    Sorry to hear about your problems Toby! Seems like the remlins are still being produced and is EXACTLY why I would even think about buying a Marlin unless it was JM stamped!
    Honestly, the Marlins I've been getting have been very nice! I still have a safe full of JM stamped Marlins and always will, but they aren't making those anymore!
    Toby Joe likes this.
    Lots of Marlins!

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links