Not a rant but an update on my Remington Marlin purchases! - Page 2
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree366Likes

Thread: Not a rant but an update on my Remington Marlin purchases!

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mazer View Post
    Yea, hoping it isn't too bad....I am more particular than most dealers evidently since my distributor was already questioning as to the "why" I returned it. But, I did warn them that if something isn't right, it was going back BEFORE I let a customer handle it! Especially the canted barrel and/or bent buckhorn. I think that the reason so many of these get by is because you automatically compensate for the "twist" when holding and sighting the rifle, but if you put the rifle in a rest, it forces you to look straight down the barrel and that is where it REALLY jumps out at you! I noticed it right off the bat, but I am used to lever guns!
    We'll see! Worse case I guess I could start stocking Winnies and the Italian levers.....but at a cost of almost 2-1 vs a Marlin....well....I don't want to have to sit on the rifle too long to sell them!
    mazer---I have to admit that the Miroku made Winchesters are expensive but they are perfect in fit and finish in every respect. I own 2 ----one is a Mod 71 and the other is a takedown. Machine work is tight and smooth. I could not find a single flaw on either rifle. No tooling marks anywhere.
    mazer, Stickman, rob42049 and 3 others like this.

Banned
    Member #
    Yea, hoping it isn't too bad....I am more particular than most dealers evidently since my distributor was already questioning as to the "why" I returned it. But, I did warn them that if something isn't right, it was going back BEFORE I let a customer handle it! Especially the canted barrel and/or bent buckhorn. I think that the reason so many of these get by is because you automatically compensate for the "twist" when holding and sighting the rifle, but if you put the rifle in a rest, it forces you to look straight down the barrel and that is where it REALLY jumps out at you! I noticed it right off the bat, but I am used to lever guns!
    We'll see! Worse case I guess I could start stocking Winnies and the Italian levers.....but at a cost of almost 2-1 vs a Marlin....well....I don't want to have to sit on the rifle too long to sell them!
    My 1973 39 Century Limited has a canted barrel...it's a very, very slight cant, but I noticed it immediately when I first shouldered the gun. Can't really return this one and get it exchanged though! Everything else about it is great, and it's a ton of fun to shoot. Just wanted to point out that even older Marlins sometimes have their flaws too (though definitely not as often as the ones made 2009-2013ish).

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy23* View Post
    mazer---I have to admit that the Miroku made Winchesters are expensive but they are perfect in fit and finish in every respect. I own 2 ----one is a Mod 71 and the other is a takedown. Machine work is tight and smooth. I could not find a single flaw on either rifle. No tooling marks anywhere.
    Tell me about it! I have TWO of them! Plus one that is newer, but doesn't say Miroku, gorgeous rifles all of them, but the average hunter around here can't spend the $1000 plus for a nice Winnie. I will eventually put one of them and a Uberti lever out, but for now, I'll see how the Marlins go! I can always order them a Winchester, so it's always an option!
    miket156 and gunscrewguy like this.
    Lots of Marlins!

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripen View Post
    My 1973 39 Century Limited has a canted barrel...it's a very, very slight cant, but I noticed it immediately when I first shouldered the gun. Can't really return this one and get it exchanged though! Everything else about it is great, and it's a ton of fun to shoot. Just wanted to point out that even older Marlins sometimes have their flaws too (though definitely not as often as the ones made 2009-2013ish).
    Absolutely, but, it was a lot less common, and the old Marlin company was easier to deal with than Remington, which again, is why I go through Davidsons, saves me and the customer a lot of aggravation.
    Lots of Marlins!

Wrangler
    Member #
    Absolutely, but, it was a lot less common, and the old Marlin company was easier to deal with than Remington, which again, is why I go through Davidsons, saves me and the customer a lot of aggravation.
    Nice to hear that about Davidsons, I'll keep it in mind.
    mazer and gunscrewguy like this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Lightbulb

Tell me about it! I have TWO of them! Plus one that is newer, but doesn't say Miroku, gorgeous rifles all of them, but the average hunter around here can't spend the $1000 plus for a nice Winnie. I will eventually put one of them and a Uberti lever out, but for now, I'll see how the Marlins go! I can always order them a Winchester, so it's always an option!
    I mentioned it once previously, the Henry H010 is priced in between the Marlin and the Winnie and every one I ever handled was excellent. I would have bought one but I already have 2 JM Marlin Model 1895's and don't plan on buying any more at my ripe old age.

Thanks for the update Mazer, keep us Posted.

Mike T.
    Last edited by Dawei; 10-30-2018 at 01:18 PM.
    The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limitations. (Attributed to Albert Einstein)

Contributing Member
    Member #
    The replacement guide gun 1895G has arrived. At first I thought I had a rifle with the same condition! Bent Buckhorn or slightly canted barrel, but, turns out the buckhorn just wasn't centered, so I grabbed my brass punch and carefully drifted it center and VOILA! Good to go! I can tell you all that this is a very nice guide gun, fit and finish look great! The ONLY issue, is the inconsistent depth of the checkering. In places it is nice and deep, but you can see where it "lightens" up and then gets deep again...so, if you can overlook that...and you do have to look for it! This is a very nice shoulder cannon!
    Here are the pics, I tried to get a closeup of the checkering....so we'll hopefully it shows up well!
    NRNt87a.jpg
    UE4ct4x.jpg
    Hi85l6g.jpg
    NC8CF3q.jpg
    Lots of Marlins!

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Not a rant but an update on my Remington Marlin purchases!

Just bought a new700 adl in 270 while on vacation . Came with the cheap mounted scope no biggie it can go in the pile of extras . Upon looking at the scope was not mounted straight . Once I fixed it I realized the cross hairs were crooked to begin with ,just gave it back to my lgs and he send he would send it back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Goodwrench3; 11-10-2018 at 08:46 AM.
    mazer and Travlin like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have 6 and they are all very good quality.
    "That wasn't shootin, that was killin" -- Rafe Covington

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I wonder how many of those barrels that get returned get reused. I just don't have a whole lot of trust for rifles remington mass produces anymore. The new sporting 1100's seem fine and the custom shop produces some beautiful stuff, the 25-20 ammo that they produced a few years ago all has gone bang, but the mass produced rifles have had an awful lot of problems. I guess if you have not handled, hunted with a 60's or 70's marlin or 700 you have nothing to compare the new ones to. I remember a 7400 I picked up in the early 90's. Its one of about only 3 or 4 guns I had ever sold or traded in my life, It was a piece of -----, I could not get rid of it fast enough, ended up trading it for a henry 22 mag and I was a happy camper.
    i've been pining those browning 53's and 65's for quite some time now

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links