Not a rant but an update on my Remington Marlin purchases! - Page 11
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
Like Tree366Likes

Thread: Not a rant but an update on my Remington Marlin purchases!

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ditto1958 View Post
    With all due respect, I wanna know where this “topping off” argument ever came from. What kind of situation would a person realistically ever be in where it would be important to be able to top off a lever gun without “taking the gun out of action?” Surely not deer hunting. You get one shot, maybe two if you’re really lucky. If you’re in combat and you have a lever gun? Good luck to you.

I have Marlin, Henry and Winchester rifles and the loading gate, or lack thereof, is at the bottom of my list of factors in deciding amongst them.
    Fair question!
    Well, lets look at it from a hunting perspective, if you stalk hunt and/or you are hunting something like wild hogs you usually come across more than one and you are shooting to eradicate them, not just shoot one, you are going for as many as you can kill! You shoot one or two and move, while you are moving you are reloading while you are following and getting ready to shoot again. Basically if you are doing anything with your rifle where you are shooting, then moving and shooting (or being prepared to shoot again) you will want to top off your rifle! Now, add low light, snow, uneven terrain etc. and you will NOT be wanting to take your rifle apart to load it! I've done this hunting black bear as well, you don't want to get caught light on ammo if you come up on more than one!
    Conversely if you hunt in a stand, or shoot from a blind where you don't move around, then the need for a loading gate drops, just like at the range, at the range, doesn't matter.
    Hope this helps!
    Lots of Marlins!

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    mazer, that’s true in the case of some hog hunting, and yes, a loading gate would help. A semi-auto rifle, such as a .308 AR-10, would be even better for that type of hog hunting. Most hog hunting seems to be done from blinds, though, and the hunters get one shot.
    mazer likes this.
    NRA Life Member

GFK
    Deadeye
    Member #
    Well, for me, the top off concern is being always prepared. In a typical hunting situation, top off may not be a concern. In a home defense or similar situation, who knows. And no, a lever-action is not the first choice. But, it is a choice. And no, I don't foresee being in a shoot out situation. But, why negate the option? The way I look at things, why travel without a spare tire if you don't have to? Meaning, vehicles are sold without spare tires. Is it a first choice? Not for me. Is roadside assistance available? Yes. The question becomes, how do you want to spend your time? Personally, I would like to be back on the road as soon as possible. That is how I am looking at lever-actions for now. I would like to be at maximum ability as soon as possible. But, that is just me. Like anything, life is full of choices. So, to each their own.
    Ranger357v, mazer and -69.55 like this.
    "One man's rights end where another man's rights begin." Dad

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    mazer, that’s true in the case of some hog hunting, and yes, a loading gate would help. A semi-auto rifle, such as a .308 AR-10, would be even better for that type of hog hunting. Most hog hunting seems to be done from blinds, though, and the hunters get one shot.
    Here in SC and in NC and WV on public land you can not setup a blind in most places, it is all stalking type hunting. You can in some places put up a stand, but you won't want to leave it since it might not be there when you come back!
    miket156 likes this.
    Lots of Marlins!

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mazer View Post
    Here in SC and in NC and WV on public land you can not setup a blind in most places, it is all stalking type hunting. You can in some places put up a stand, but you won't want to leave it since it might not be there when you come back!
    You can't even use a popup blind? I can understand that you can't build a permanent one, but do they prohibit popup blinds?
    mazer likes this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Actually, I think you can do that in SC now, especially hog hunting, it's "open season" on those! Except for where I went in the low country(different counties have "additional rules") I never had to worry about it up where I live....it's WV and NC that I had issues! As I recall most of the "conditions" on blinds is that on public land folks are walking around EVERYWHERE so if you are too well concealed you might get shot accidentally! But I don't make the rules!
    miket156, Drm50 and bdbrown66 like this.
    Lots of Marlins!

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    My crew hunted public areas in Eastern WVa mountains long before I was old enough to hunt. We hunted mountains from Romney area south. There is a string of mountain public hunting areas down through there. Was nice place to hunt and not crowded back in 60s. Then in middle 70s things got bad. Had a buddy shot while calling turkey, he survived. And had some close calls with idiots shooting down through the woods without knowing what was down there. After couple times having to hit the dirt and getting showered with bark we called it quits. We started hunting private property which we were lucky to have made friends in the years before to get us on private lands. We had to shift north up to Paw Paw area but didn't have to worry about getting gunned down by idiots. My Dad and buddie's went through same thing bird hunting on public areas in OHIO. Not a place you want to be on a week end. We avoid public areas totally anymore.
    mazer, Ret_Eng, miket156 and 1 others like this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Banned
    Member #
    With all due respect, I wanna know where this “topping off” argument ever came from. What kind of situation would a person realistically ever be in where it would be important to be able to top off a lever gun without “taking the gun out of action?” Surely not deer hunting. You get one shot, maybe two if you’re really lucky. If you’re in combat and you have a lever gun? Good luck to you. I have Marlin, Henry and Winchester rifles and the loading gate, or lack thereof, is at the bottom of my list of factors in deciding amongst them.
    I'm late to the discussion, but I found ditto1958's words quoted by another member...and I felt obliged to join in. It is very important to me that my lever guns have loading gates that I can "top off" if I need to reload quickly in a defensive situation. Tis why I don't own any Henry's. Any gun I own needs to be suitable for defensive use if called into action by unforseen circumstances. I don't think many people are going to suggest marching off to battle with a lever gun in hand...though, TBH, I wouldn't feel at a disadvantage if I did...but you never know where and when you might need to use a firearm defensively...and more importantly you might not necessarily have your AR and half a dozen loaded mags on you when the boogey man comes a knockin. I can come up with an imaginary scenario - you are out in a remote area hunting deer with your lever gun and you accidentally stumble across a makeshift meth lab or perhaps a "guerrilla grower's" marijuana patch. They see you, they know you saw them...and they also know that there are no witnesses around for miles. In such a scenario...and one which isn't out of the realm of possibility...a loading gate and the ability to top off becomes a really big deal...and perhaps a life saver...yours. People who travel interstate on business and pass through hostile territory where hi-cap semi-autos are downright illegal...may choose to carry a wheelgun or lever gun during their travels. Again, in situations like these, things like speedloaders and loading gates become important if a self defense situation presents itself. It is the gun you have on you that counts...not what is ideal. I had this same argument with some ignorant kid on Youtube who couldn't possibly understand why anyone would carry anything less than an AR or AK wherever they went. I had to explain to him that some of us have jobs downtown and must dress in business attire and go to meetings. I don't think he ever got the point.
    Last edited by -69.55; 06-03-2019 at 05:35 AM.
    miket156 and mazer like this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    My crew hunted public areas in Eastern WVa mountains long before I was old enough to hunt. We hunted mountains from Romney area south. There is a string of mountain public hunting areas down through there. Was nice place to hunt and not crowded back in 60s. Then in middle 70s things got bad. Had a buddy shot while calling turkey, he survived. And had some close calls with idiots shooting down through the woods without knowing what was down there. After couple times having to hit the dirt and getting showered with bark we called it quits. We started hunting private property which we were lucky to have made friends in the years before to get us on private lands. We had to shift north up to Paw Paw area but didn't have to worry about getting gunned down by idiots. My Dad and buddie's went through same thing bird hunting on public areas in OHIO. Not a place you want to be on a week end. We avoid public areas totally anymore.
    Not everyone Hunting has a 'safety first" attitude. Being that I don't Hunt game animals, I don't go in the woods during Deer or Bear seasons. The Game Lands, rural areas around farms, and state forests are full of Hunters. Out of state Hunters would be my biggest concern, because they pay a lot more for a PA Hunting License than PA Residents. Typically, they are only here for 2 or 3 days, and they might be a bit more "trigger happy" than those of us that live here. I don't go in the woods during Bear season because there are almost as many licensed hunters in the woods during bear season as there is during deer season.

Being that I only hunt Coyotes, I can hunt anytime. So I pick and choose. I can even Hunt on Sunday if I wanted too, but I don't because non Hunters are in the woods on Sundays, so I don't hunt on weekends. I can Hunt during the week during non game animal seasons and I usually have the woods to myself. Its quiet, and safe.

I always have 3 rounds in my rifle magazine, and carry a side arm too. I could run a across a Black Bear at any time, because there over 20,000 of them in PA. Be prepared.

Mike T.
    mazer and 94win30wcf like this.
    The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limitations. (Attributed to Albert Einstein)

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I don't think you can blame unsafe hunters on non residents. I have hunted in many states & Canada and have found most hunters that go to the trouble of taking vacations and traveling many miles to hunt are not the problem. Serious hunters are not the problem either.
    It is the social hunters that come into public hunting areas and are usually from the city and have no connections to hunt private land.
    They are the weekend crowd. Locals know this and avoid hunting these areas on weekends too. My buddy that was shot Turkey hunting had just been discharged from USMC after returning from RVn without a scratch. That is a hell uv a note to go through that and get shot by a idiot atop a mountain in WVa.
    Da Duke, 94win30wcf and miket156 like this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links