Identifying New York And Kentucky Marlins - Page 21
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Identifying New York And Kentucky Marlins

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisZ96 View Post
    My 336SC is JM stamped on the right side of the barrel right after the receiver, but was made before the Mayfield KY factory opened (from what I found online the Kentucky factory was only open for about 20 years).
    Was it only certain models made with the JM on the right or am I missing a few details in there?
    You missed more than a few details. All the rifles with a JM stamp on the right side were made in New Haven,Conn before the move to North Haven,Conn in 1968-69. At Marlin North Haven the JM proof mark was moved to the left side of the barrel just ahead of the receiver. What address is rollmarked on your barrel? What is the serial number?

Marlin in Mayfield,Kentucky is(was?) a plant opened by Freedom Group/Remington/Marlin within the last 10 years.
    Last edited by rob42049; 03-30-2018 at 11:42 AM.
    Team 1894 #288
    Team Winchester #134
    Marlin League #145
    Team Enfield #1
    Team Revolver #99

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Thanks for the info. I just looked at the marking on my 1894 .44 mag I bought in 2009. It has the JM mark on left side of barrel. YES! Shoots very well. Does have a jam from time to time, but I think it is the way the lip of the ammo shell. Only using Hornady Leverlution ammo 240grain, shooting lonely deer.

My problem is 2 fold.

1. The fit on the bolt when seated, where it flushes against the receiver, protrudes a little, maybe 1/32 inch. It is the same on all Marlins with that same 39a type action (which is different from the 336 action). I have pointed this out to the Remington rep at the Dallas Safari Club convention as well as the Marlin "Custom Shop" rep at the same following year convention. Still no change that I can see.

2. My first round each year or after cleaning is a flyer. At 50 yds, seems to want go high 3-6". Takes about 6 rounds then settles to about a 2" group, open sights. I always shoot a magazine full and don't clean until I am ready to put it away. Also, I shoot into a woods before going to my deer stand. Always a little wary of shooting a deer when I do not know for sure where the bullet is going, especially when I s do not know what effect the fluctuating temp or humidity is doing to it. Anyone else have an issue with this? Love the rifle and Marlins. Totally disappointed with their quality problems. Hope they return to the cult following we all love.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I own the following guns and would like to confirm a few things:

1894C .357 that is s/n 94xxxxx on tang and a JM stamp. no REP stamp. I assume this is a 100% real deal marlin from 2006..?

1894SS .44 that is s/n 91xxxx on left side of receiver (no MR in the s/n) ...(REP) S on the right side of barrel. (what does the S mean?) North Haven CT on left side of barrel. no JM mark. I assume this was a Marlin action and likely even a marlin barrel that was sadly shipped to and assembled in Ilion, NY? Hence a Remlin from 2010? It has the laser etching under the hammer. It is a beautiful gun from a few feet away. Close inspection shows poor tool use though; stripped screw heads on the tenon and wood to metal fit is a little sloppy. I put a 8x scope on it, bore sighted it and was on paper first shot. I can shoot 2" groups at 100 yards with it. Cycles fine, very smooth, in fact just as smooth as my real Marlin 1894c.

Model 60 .22LR that is s/n 93xxxx no JM mark, no REP mark. I assume this one is a true manufactured and assembled Marlin that Remington never touched?

Thanks for your help.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by matemike View Post
    I own the following guns and would like to confirm a few things:

1894C .357 that is s/n 94xxxxx on tang and a JM stamp. no REP stamp. I assume this is a 100% real deal marlin from 2006..?

1894SS .44 that is s/n 91xxxx on left side of receiver (no MR in the s/n) ...(REP) S on the right side of barrel. (what does the S mean?) North Haven CT on left side of barrel. no JM mark. I assume this was a Marlin action and likely even a marlin barrel that was sadly shipped to and assembled in Ilion, NY? Hence a Remlin from 2010? It has the laser etching under the hammer. It is a beautiful gun from a few feet away. Close inspection shows poor tool use though; stripped screw heads on the tenon and wood to metal fit is a little sloppy. I put a 8x scope on it, bore sighted it and was on paper first shot. I can shoot 2" groups at 100 yards with it. Cycles fine, very smooth, in fact just as smooth as my real Marlin 1894c.

Model 60 .22LR that is s/n 93xxxx no JM mark, no REP mark. I assume this one is a true manufactured and assembled Marlin that Remington never touched?

Thanks for your help.
    I've got a 91XXXX 1895 that may not be flawless, nothing is, but is just perfect for me. If I understand this correctly, these guns were built right around the Marlin to Remington transition period and a lot were assembled using parts already made and in storage, with some Marlin employees still doing the work. Seems that when they used up all the Marlin parts/people, and started using mostly Remington parts/people, is when things really went down hill. I haven't had one problem with my 1895 that I can't blame on me, and can easily shoot 1 inch groups at 100 yards using a 1-3x scope with factory 405s. I'm impressed and amazed by this each time I do it. I got me a keeper for sure.
    Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do,
    Sometimes won't know how to take him.
    He ain't wrong, he's just different but his pride won't let him,
    Do things to make you think he's right.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links