Identifying New York And Kentucky Marlins - Page 12
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Identifying New York And Kentucky Marlins

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Re: Identifying New York And Kentucky Marlins

I just finished reading about the proof markings on Marlins so I went down to look at mine. I just purchased a 39A- 1956 production "P" prefix but noticed the JM (inside an oval) is on the RIGHT side of the barrel about 3/4" from the receiver. If the originals were marked on the LEFT side of the barrel- does that mean mine has been rebarreled? Its in really good condition, has the heavy forestock and forend cap. Thanks for all the good information I found on this site.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #

Re: Identifying New York And Kentucky Marlins

The older Marlins did have the JM proof mark on the RIGHT SIDE. No sure exactly when they changed that but in any case rest assured you have a true Marlin barrel.

GB45

GB45

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Bought a 336C Saturday in CT - 91XXX Serial & JM stamp in the right place!

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Jake, That is still a Connecticut made Marlin you have. The 91s were made in 2009 and they plant did not close and move to New York until around September 2010. I have 2 different models with 91 serials and they are fine guns and good examples of real Marlins.

GB45

GB45

Wrangler
    Member #
    I've been gone awhile so hope my question is not a stupid one. Are Marlin's now being made in Kentucky TOO? and if so by whom?

Thanks in advance!

"Faith is not about everything turning out OK; faith is about being OK no matter how things turn out."

KON
    Gunfighter
    Formerly THE MARLIN FIREARMS CO. 100 KENNA DRIVE, NORTH HAVEN,CT 06473 1870-2011 R.I.P.
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by HowdyC View Post
    I've been gone awhile so hope my question is not a stupid one. Are Marlin's now being made in Kentucky TOO? and if so by whom?

Thanks in advance!
    All Marlin Lever Action Rifles are now made at Remington's Ilion,New York Plant.
    All Marlin Bolt Action Rifles are now made at Remington's Mayfield,Kentucky Plant.
    All Marlin Woodwork is now made at Remington's Lexington,Missouri Plant.
    HowdyC and Oberhaz like this.
    "If more is better, then too much is just enough."
    - KON

THE MARLIN FIREARMS CO. 1870-3/31/2011 R.I.P.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Did Remlin use "JM" barrel mark?

New member with first post but long time Marlin owner (bought first Marlin in 1967). Looking to buy a guide gun and have spent the last couple of hours reading up on Remlin.

Just to clarify, if 91-x serial number and JM barrel mark, the gun is North Haven made and assembled by the "old" Marlin gunsmiths?

Remlin used some 91 numbered receivers and New Haven marked barrels at NY but those guns had barrel stamps other than "JM"? Remlin did NOT use "JM" stamps?

Gun in question is a NIB 1895 STBL (pistol grip, big loop, walnut stock), 91 serial number, JM barrel mark. The JM mark looks more engraved than stamped. Wood is nice but fit is somewhat high at stock to receiver. No buggered up screws, no punch marks at dovetails. No burrs at ejection port. Functionality appears good. Only gripes are the high edges at butt stock wood to receiver and that the mating edges of the trigger plate to receiver is slightly different in gap from right to left sides.

The SBL scope rail fiasco plastic “shims” were in the box with the owner’s manual even though the STBL does not include the scope rail. Would the presence of these shims indicate Remlin assembled even with 91 and JM?

On my earlier Marlins, wood fit flush and the trigger plate mating edges are uniform.
    Last edited by 415ZR1; 01-07-2012 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Corrected typing error.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Your Marlin was made in North Haven and is a real Marlin. However, Remington was already on site and started making some changes. They started using a LASER to etch the serial numbers instead of the stamps. Your rifle will have a dot matrix code under the hammer - this was read by the serial number machine and translated into the serial number etched on the side of the receiver.

It looks like this under the hammer: MarlinDotCode-1.jpg

and it translates to this on the receiver: MarlinLaserEtchedSerialNumber.jpg

GB45
    Last edited by Golfbuddy45; 01-07-2012 at 04:32 PM.

GB45

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 415ZR1 View Post
    New member with first post but long time Marlin owner (bought first Marlin in 1967). Looking to buy a guide gun and have spent the last couple of hours reading up on Remlin.

Just to clarify, if 91-x serial number and JM barrel mark, the gun is North Haven made and assembled by the "old" Marlin gunsmiths?

Remlin used some 91 numbered receivers and New Haven marked barrels at NY but those guns had barrel stamps other than "JM"? Remlin did NOT use "JM" stamps?

Gun in question is a NIB 1895 STBL (pistol grip, big loop, walnut stock), 91 serial number, JM barrel mark. The JM mark looks more engraved than stamped. Wood is nice but fit is somewhat high at stock to receiver. No buggered up screws, no punch marks at dovetails. No burrs at ejection port. Functionality appears good. Only gripes are the high edges at butt stock wood to receiver and that the mating edges of the trigger plate to receiver is slightly different in gap from right to left sides.

The SBL scope rail fiasco plastic “shims” were in the box with the owner’s manual even though the STBL does not include the scope rail. Would the presence of these shims indicate Remlin assembled even with 91 and JM?

On my earlier Marlins, wood fit flush and the trigger plate mating edges are uniform.
    Does anyone know about what date this dot matrix serial number under the hammer thing was initiated? Both my Marlins are 91xx JM's and neither have this..
    1895 45-70 GS, 1894 45 Colt
    Super Blackhawk 44 Mag. Henry 22LR Frontier
    Rossi M-92 454 Casull

"When I hold you in my arms
    and I feel my finger on your trigger
    I know nobody can do me no harm"..

JM, RIP..

KON
    Gunfighter
    Formerly THE MARLIN FIREARMS CO. 100 KENNA DRIVE, NORTH HAVEN,CT 06473 1870-2011 R.I.P.
    Member #
    I seem to remember the Laser Etching Machines showing up around late 2009 to early 2010. Tomray could probably have a better idea of the exact date.
    eaglesnest likes this.
    "If more is better, then too much is just enough."
    - KON

THE MARLIN FIREARMS CO. 1870-3/31/2011 R.I.P.

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links