Identifying New York And Kentucky Marlins - Page 11
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Identifying New York And Kentucky Marlins

Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: Identifying New York And Kentucky Marlins

Quote Originally Posted by mike m
    Saw my first NY Marlin today, an XLR. CT barrel with NY assembly. The serial number is pounded into the left side of the reciever and leaves a burr that is quite sharp. The lever was strapped with those plastic ties so I couldn't check the action. The gray lam was nice, wood to metal fit is good.
    Good new. What caliber was it in. Did you see any 338ME rifles there?
    I believe thing are coming together and the raggers will stop ragging and all will be good.
    My Avatar is my brother John who left me to soon. He was 10 Y/O 1 month older than me. He took me off the Streets of Brooklyn taught me how to handle a rifle and to hunt. For his attention I would always be grateful. Rest in Peace Brother John.

Con
    Tinhorn
    Member #

Guys,
    In a nutshell ... how do you tell which is a New York and which is a Kentucky gun??

Case in point ... Marlin 45/70 1895GBL. Its been in the gunshop maybe 12-24 months. Left side at rear of barrel is the JM mark. But the serial number is stamped on the left lower side of the receiver like a Rem870 pump action shotgun. Memories a bit hazy, but I thought Marlin's were serial numbered on the tang?
    Cheers...
    Con

Certified Gunnut
    Member #

The JM mark is the Marlin proof mark - the new Remingtons have a REP on the right side of the barrel that is their proof mark. Secondly the Connecticut plant did not close down till end of August or September 2010 as I remember. So if it has been out over a year it would not be a Remlin.

My 1895GS 45-70 has the serial number right behind the hammer on top of the tang.

GB45

GB45

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #

I think that in 2009 Marlin started to put the serial numbers on the left side of the receiver. Because when putting on tang sight the serial numbers would be covered by the tang sights base or the serial number would be defaced if the installer drills and taps screw holes. I had to pass on a 1894C 357 mag. that was being sold for $200. from a widow. Her husband sent it to a gunsmith to install a tang sight by drilling and tapping the tang strap. This is a old practice but it's how against the federal law it's call defacing.

TO NY
    My Avatar is my brother John who left me to soon. He was 10 Y/O 1 month older than me. He took me off the Streets of Brooklyn taught me how to handle a rifle and to hunt. For his attention I would always be grateful. Rest in Peace Brother John.

Deadeye
    Member #

Don't recall the calibre, I was focusing on the serial number.

Team 1894 Co-Captain Distinguished Master
    Member #

After reading hundreds of posts stating concerns and personal opinons on the plight of the Marlin product, I saw my first REP 336 rifle today in 30-30. I was in a C-A-L Ranch store just to get out of the house on such a beautiful day. I know a few of the guys that work in the gun area and on occasion I buy primers, bullets, and powders from them but never a gun.

To state my opinion of the only Marlin lever action in the store, I will begin by saying I would not care to own that rifle for any amount of money. I have read posts on marlinowners about bad wood, rough cycling, and much more but I still was not prepared to see such a poorly made rifle. The first two words that came out of my mouth to my BIL, who was with me, were "peanut butter." He said what did you say? I said this wood looks like someone smeared peanut butter all over the birch stock/forearm and then kind of smoothed it out. The rifle cycled so hard, it took me two attempts to fully cycle it. The fit and finish was poor at best and the checkering look like it was done using a broken Craftsman screwdriver.

The employee behind the counter, who admittedly was a Henry fan, said, "Isn't that sad?" I thought I was saddened before by all the feedback on the latest rifles to roll out into the marketplace. Today's experience has not made my way of thinking change ... I will continue to buy older Marlins as I always have. For those of you who are critical of those reporting the problems they are having or seeing with the latest Marlin products, you obviously have yet to see what I did today.

bjm

Certified Gunnut
    Member #

I have reported in previous posts similar Remlins and some MO members were very critical of my comments. As more of you see just how bad these guns are you will understand as bigjeepman now understands. I hope as some others have stated that "this is just a learning curve for Remington" but in the meantime the garbage rifles they are putting out will do nothing but hurt the great reputation of MARLIN. Someone posted feeling really good about having discussions with some Remington representatives at SHOT SHOW recently and he felt they were being sincere in their concerns about the quality of the products.

Allowing these garbage guns to be released into the buying public rubs me to the core because along with my Environmental Engineering responsibilities over the last 15 years I was also the ISO9000 and ISO14001 Management Rep for one of the largest electronics manufacturing companies in the world. In my plant of 1000 employees I was directly responsible to ensure that the Quality Department met the highest standards of excellence and for 10 years during biannual compliance audits we did not receive one single ISO NonConformance. This all changed in January 2010 when on the same day the company retired the QUALITY MANAGER, the LEAD QUALITY AUDITOR, and (me) the ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH AND SAFETY MANAGER/ISO MANAGEMENT REP. The person who took over my responsibilities was a warehouse supervisor who never worked in manufacturing, was never trained in Quality, and had ZERO knowledge of the environment. Remington fired their Quality Manager earlier this year - was that because he was doing a bad job or was it because he would not allow the poor quality work that he was seeing sent to the distributors? I think the later is probably true but who will know for sure. I will keep looking over the new Marlins and watching for improvements and hope that Remington resolves their quality problems - - - - because the alternative would mean the only time you will find a good Marlin is when an MO decides to part with an original Marlin.

GB45

GB45

Tenderfoot
    Member #

I am new here because of a Remlin or Merlington problems. I wanted to purchase a new 22 rifle to go to an Appleseed shoot with. I went to a Dick's Sporting Goods store to purchase the rifle at a sale price they has running on them. I wanted a Marlin because of the "out of the box" accuracy. When I filled out the 44493 I asked the sales person to let me look over the gun before he recorded the serial number. When i looked down the sights the rear sight was so skewed to the right it was mounted at about a 2 o'clock position. I asked him to bring me out another after I pointed this out to him. The next 4 he brought me were almost as bad. I finally found one that was acceptable and after looking at the pile of open boxes I noticed that they all had been shipped from KY. All of them had 91xxxxx serial numbers too. The barrels were all stamped New Haven CT. So much for me being able to find a "True Marlin". Even the one I finally decided to take has an off kilter rear sight. It really isn't all that Important to me because I have installed a Simmons 3-9-32AO scope on it. Tomorrow will be the judge as I get to go to the range and see what she will do. I hope she does better then she looks.
    My father had a 336c in 35 Rem that he bought new in 1955 to go dear hunting in PA. I learned how to shoot with that rifle and I got my first deer with it to. It handles like a dream and shoots very accurately. It does pretty well for a 56 year old rifle. Somehow I don't think that this little 22 is going to last that long. Such a shame... such a shame.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

At first I was undecided on buying new or used. Ended up buying a used Real Marlin.
    336CS,30-30,1984
    336CS,30-30,1995

Contributing Member
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by IPyrek
    At first I was undecided on buying new or used. Ended up buying a used Real Marlin.

GOOD FOR YOU!..........................That's what I would do, too!

Tom
    NRA LIFE
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    CCDL

Treat others the way you want to be treated.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links