Anyone ever contracted any disease from a tick (or suspected to have maybe?) (LONG)
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Anyone ever contracted any disease from a tick (or suspected to have maybe?) (LONG)

Contributing Member
    Member #

Anyone ever contracted any disease from a tick (or suspected to have maybe?) (LONG)

I can't say for sure that I have, but I'm highly suspicious about it. Back around 2005, give or take a year or two either direction, I went to see my General Care Physician with some weird symptoms of something. And finding the smalles tick I've ever seen this weekend reminded me of it. Actually I'm reminded of it everyday by chronic pains. Where to begin......?

I guess it first came to my attention when I went to see my doctor with shakes, shivers and bone chattering chills that hit me out of the blue. I never knew when it was going to start, or how long it would last, but at times it would flat drain me of any strength or energy from the tense shivering. It later faded away (maybe 6 month later), but I then had pains like you get with a high fever, in my joints of my legs, hips, arms, ribs and just about everywhere, but there was no fever. Just the pain in "my frame".

That pain is still with me today, but with medication I'm able to keep working and do most household chores, when I am have "good days". Fatigue is with me always, and age is multiply the aches & pains. But I'm not here just to complain about my crap. I was told by a nurse after a blood test, "We can see where you at some time had Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever." Huh? Don't remember that one (and I think I would), but it tells me that ticks can leave some nasty stuff behind in our bodies. As a lifelong outdoorsman, I've pulled my share of the icky little creatures from my skin over the last 50-60 years. Including the smallest one I've ever seen in my life, this past weekend.

Just normal yard work, picking up limbs, trimming back limbs, weed whacking and trimming shrubs both Saturday and to a lesser degree on Sunday (I was sore). While undressing for the shower, pulling off socks specifically, I spotted what I thought at first was a very small flea. I would have been the first one I'd seen in years, but having a 10 month old puppy that does visit boarding and grooming facilities, I thought that's what I was seeing. But they tend to jump away unless you're fast. I had to get out my 10X loupe to see what it was, once I doused the critter in peroxide.

I've seen small ticks before, what we often call turkey ticks, but I've never seen one this darn small. Perhaps it's just a baby tick, but at 10X zoom, it's definitely a tick. Although his little legs curled up under him after the peroxide bath. Seeing how small he (she? seems I heard the females are the biters?), I started feeling "buggy all over"! I didn't dare show it to the wife, she thinks she has bugs on her anytime she's been outside. But I thought I'd show it to my other family members here and see if any of you had seen them this small. Or has anyone ever suffered from a disease from a tick bite? I just about stopped hunting turkeys in the Spring after my "spell" and seldom go out deer hunting until after a frost. I also like it to be cold enough to hang my venison a few days if possible.

I won't drag this out any longer, I've already used up my lunch break. Besides, I'm going to go check myself, I'm feeling "buggy" again! I hope the picture is clear enough for viewing.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Team 444 Marlin - 1970 Centennial
    Team 22 Magnum - # 42 Marlin 57M
    Team Browning - # 5 1992 Browning BLR .308
    Team 30-30 - # 897 1989 Marlin 30TK
    Team 35 - #501 1978 336
    Team 1894 - # 318 1979 Marlin .357 Carbine

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Yes when I was 18 years old I came home from School in a cast as I had torn the ligaments in my ankle. Being springtime in Va. I headed to my closest pond in my walking cast. fished the day away. That darn old plaster cast got to itching crazy, when they pulled it off after a month there was a tick embedded in my leg. Once the pulled it out two weeks later I developed rocky mtn spotted fever and was treated for that. Had to stay out of the sun as I was on some heavy antibiotics, so laid low for weeks it seemed.

I am on a list at the CDC and cannot give blood since my body contains the antivirus, or so I have been told. I know that I have unexplained joint pains that my docs have been chasing the past 10 yrs. many blood tests, many fluid off the joint tests and they still cannot figure out why for no reason my Knee or ankle or elbow will swell up and hurt like it is broken. Yup they tested me for lymes disease and also negative.

I truly believe that the RMSF has caused me these unexplained arthritis symptoms over the years.

My brother also suffered and could not eat holved animal meat from a tick bite. use permethrin and be safe.
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I had a run in with Lyme. Found a well fed tick, pulled it off and went on with the usual routine. About four days later I was severely sick, flu like symptoms, major joint aches. Went to the doctors, mentioned the tick bite, they drew blood and it came back positive for Lyme. 21 days of antibotics later I was told I was clear. No rash or any other symptom showed, sometimes it doesn't apparently.

My wife found one biting her, went straight to the on call after pulling it off and saving it, they gave her one dose of antibiotic. That seems to be protocol if you catch the tick quickly.

As mrguvna says, permethrin is your friend, use it!
    It's what you learn after you know it all that makes a difference.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Member #
    I work with a guy that says he was bit by a lone star tick and can't eat red meat now.

Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    My sister in Clarkville, Tennessee was bit years ago and is so weak today she has to force herself out of bed. She is actually on disability because of this. Scary.
    6'x8' two man rooms with toilets. 23 Years in a Federal Penitentiary

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Not trying to scare anyone just inform. Seems I’ve heard in northern NY another illness associated with ticks. It is called “Powassan Virus.” I’m thinking a few have died from it. Causes swelling of the brain or something along those lines.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Back in the mid 80's I lost a a friend to a tick that gave him lime disease and an infection. He was in the hospital for quite a few months before his heart gave up.

Jack
    All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth. – Robert E. Lee

My avatar is dedicated in honor of my
    Great Great Grandfather who fought at Bunker Hill and survived to continue his fight in The American Revolutionary War for Liberty and Freedom.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I had a bullseye rash appear around a tick bite inside my thigh after an early fall deer hunt in Virginia. I got my doctor's immediate attention when I called and she listed several tick diseases I probably now had. She directed me to the pharmacy immediately for an antibiotic. I noted that the drug store would close in three minutes and I could get there by closing. She said, "He will stay open for you. I'll calling now. Get going!" A later lecture during a check-up emphasized how dangerous tick diseases now are. I did have a hunting friend come down with Lyme Disease. Now I always use repellent and take other safety measures. It is all very scary having a close call like this.

Thanks for the report Kranky, and good luck with a recovery. Thanks to you and others for the warning.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    My younger brother caught Lime disease from a tick several years ago and never did fully recover. Scary stuff.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VFW Life Member
    AMVETS Life Member
    101st Airborne Division Assoc. Life Member

Contributing Member
    Member #
    So has anyone ever seen a tick that small? I could seriously have something that small in my balding head and not know it. I swear it was no bigger that then end of a large paperclip. Just a tiny black dot. They are more dangerous to me than a snake ( & I HATE snakes!), but you can usually see them. I hated reading the stories of your families and friends, but "Liked" them anyway because they might make folks pay more attention to these nasty little creatures.

I was on a possum "assassination" detail here about a year or two back because they were getting on my porch at night eating our "porch kitty's" food. Then I read about them gobbling up ticks and I decided I could live with the possums. Maybe I need to get some guinea hens for the yard. I hear they eat ticks too.

I seldom spray for anything but mosquitos when working in the yard (there's another disease carrying vermin), but from now on if I'm handling brush and trimming limbs, I'm spraying down. I keep a 22 WMR on my hip for snakes, might as well have another holster for bug spray.
    Team 444 Marlin - 1970 Centennial
    Team 22 Magnum - # 42 Marlin 57M
    Team Browning - # 5 1992 Browning BLR .308
    Team 30-30 - # 897 1989 Marlin 30TK
    Team 35 - #501 1978 336
    Team 1894 - # 318 1979 Marlin .357 Carbine

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links