What might have been ...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: What might have been ...

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

What might have been ...

Just need to put this down for what it's worth and then maybe it'll be behind me. I posted Linda Ronstadt's Long Long Time in the Forgotten Blasts from the past recently. Since that post, I've been remembering one of the women I'd "left behind." We were both about 23. I had never been successful in love, joined the Navy and ending up concentrating on my studies (Nuclear Power School). Earned acceptance to Officer Candidate School, which was coed. Started dating some, with the usual success. I did notice one girl, whom I promptly though was "out of my league." There was a requirement that we request permission to come aboard when returning to the residence hall. Up to six people at a time, with the right front person speaking for the group. We had our graduation formal and upon returning, "she" had the watch. We often spoofed the requirement with a line from Star Trek. I addressed her with "six to beam up Scotty." She said, "my name is Susie." I replied "six to beam up Susie." She said "energizing." After graduation we were both back in Newport for school and started dating. Movies, dinner, lunches. I was working temporarily at the Chaplains school when she came by for lunch. One of the Chaplains asked if I'd been whispering sweet nothings in her ear. She looked puzzled and said "no." On the walk to lunch she asked if that was the wrong thing to say. I was too dense or scared to take a hint. Although I never heard it from her, story was she had been sexually assaulted in the past, so I was being real low key. I was afraid of scaring her off or getting hurt, she had earned a black belt. She even invited me to go out to dinner with her parents. Yeah I was that dense. One night she took me to dinner and we were heading up to her room. I don't know, but I think she was ready to push me and step it up. Like the idiot I was, I saw another women I knew from OCS drive in and spoke to her for a second. Susie never talked to me again. Maybe Long Long Time is really her song, if you listen to the lyrics; I did everything I can, to try and make you mine … Anyway, none of tis will turn back time and it might have not turned out anyway. I did learn to be more assertive and in tune after that. Well, it's off my chest, I need to go back to living in the present. This reminiscing has reminded me to be more attentive and loving with my wife; all too often we take things for granted. Thanks for listening.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    thanks for your story .
    MidBigWest, moofy07 and tranteruk like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I too was that dense TWICE in my late teens.
    “Said I never had much use for one. Never said I didn't know how to use it.” - Matthew Quigley

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    it was my misfortune to not be dense enough - ended up with the wrong woman again and again....often thought it was some sort of weird death wish....
    ......just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me.....

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by furlong222 View Post
    it was my misfortune to not be dense enough - ended up with the wrong woman again and again....often thought it was some sort of weird death wish....
    Had I not messed up with Susie I would not have been in a position to meet my first wife. Like I said, who knows what might have happened.
    Last edited by NewtoSkeet; 05-27-2018 at 07:08 AM.
    Travlin and MidBigWest like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Now I realize what triggered my strong memories. The Police Officer that was killed this week in Baltimore looks exactly like she did when we were both 23. Weird how one's subconscious works.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Very similar story,met a girl went with her in early years,we were both of our first loves.very emotionally connected.I quit seeing here when I went off to college,always was afraid to call her or stop and see here again.I use to drive by her house hoping to see her outside,never did.I had saved the ring I gave her all these years,many of them it hung off the rear view mirror in my truck.Fast forward 35 years,was having troubles at home,for what ever reason I some how found out here last name,looked her up on the internet.she was 900 miles away,divorced,living alone.I called her,we talked 2200 minutes over the next month.I went to see her 5 times over the next 2 years,it was wonderful.We missed it,we had the early years,and the finial years,they were great,we missed all the good years in between.She had very serious health problems when I found her and she died in 2011,I still miss her.Music brings her back for a moment,its great.That Linda Ronstad song and Last Date always bring a tear to my eyes.It sucks to get old lol.but oh the memories

Super Moderator
    Member #
    I suspect we all have those questions about what could have been. I missed some good opportunities when I was younger but as they say, c'est la vie.
    furlong222 and tranteruk like this.

Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    It would be dangerous for me to live in the past, had the same one for 34 years.
    tranteruk and JW/OK like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Married 30 years with no regrets or complaints. However, there was one girl.. What might have been? I regret breaking up with her to this day. Perhaps the thing I am most ashamed of doing, and there are a few on the list.
    gunscrewguy likes this.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links