I'm a friend of Bill W. - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
Like Tree568Likes

Thread: I'm a friend of Bill W.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Well the mourning of the 5th was 6 months, kinda snuck up on me. They say it takes 65 days to break a bad habit and I feel like that may be true the last 3 months were much better than the first 3.
    Anyway I suppose its just an irrelevant number in the grand scheme but it felt good to get to that half a yr mark.

Hope you all are doing well Ross

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Wow just found this thread. Nice to know I'm not the only one here who has struggled. 30 years sober for me. Didn't want my son to grow up with a drunk, very confusing for a kid. He's 30 now & does drink but in moderation, something I could never do. Thank God for this every day.
    This is the strangest life I've ever known.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Not a vodka drinker but vodka does make a fantastic pie crust, light and flakey. I think I am addicted to my wife's apple pies.
    Gotta go bug her about making one or two.

Padraig
    gunscrewguy, rooterpig and lever30 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Not a vodka drinker but vodka does make a fantastic pie crust, light and flakey.&nbsp; I think I am addicted to my wife's apple pies.<br>Gotta go bug her about making one or two.

Padraig
    rooterpig and gunscrewguy like this.

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    Good for you Brother!!!! ...............you ain't alone.
    rooterpig and lever30 like this.

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #
    Nov 2019 marked 35 years sober. You read my old post here, back in 2015, so I'll try not to repeat myself. A couple years ago, I had a shot of moonshine in a couple different flavors. I was not afflicted to have more. I was able to turn down offers to take some with me as we were several weeks from home. I have never craved a cold beer, but do seriously love good scotch and bourbon, and have steered clear of them for all these years. In 2018, I survived a prostate cancer scare, did the surgery and still cancer free, but man alive, I was mad at the world after having 69 years of virtually clean health! Through all that, I never even gave a thought to picking up a bottle, though it may be why I indulged in the moonshine referred to above. Now, 16 months after surgery, still cancer free and I find the craving for a sip of fine bourbon creeping in and getting stronger. I don't think I'd give in and get soused, but I do prefer to keep it clean and stay sober. Three of our seven children drink at least socially, one way too much. They have never seen me take a drink and choose to not listen to me. What could I possibly know? I know that booze and babies don't mix. I know you can't run a marriage from a six-pack. My child that drinks too much has lost his wife and kids, knows it's the drinking, and still won't give it up.

To those of you who haven't read this whole thread, I heartily encourage you to back up the truck and read all three of these pages. Lots of encouragement and heartfelt testimonies of the gain of being sober. It doesn't take a program. It doesn't take an organized meeting. It does take a reason. It has to be important to the individual to become sober. To get off the addiction, whatever it is. There are times that I feel addicted to gunpowder! At such times, I reach out to my guitar playing pals, it changes my focus just enough to maintain the balance that my marriage needs. I know it works because my wife will go in the kitchen and put together a long overdue batch of molasses cookies, my personal favorite, and maybe an apple pie. There is no alcohol in our house for cooking purposes. These are the best years of our lives.
    Sweetwater
    WDRA, Billy Dixon Em
    Team 35 Mbr #75
    Team 32 Mbr #27
    Team Old Pharts #226

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Amen Sweetwater!
    JMAG54 and gunscrewguy like this.
    Yesterday I was younger

Contributing Member
    Member #