Marlin Barrels Supplied to Other Gunmakers

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

I need to tap the collective expertise here. Most of us are aware that Marlin supplied rimfire barrels to Ruger before Ruger was set up to cut their own.

I have a Ranger marked bolt action rimfire rifle that was assembled by The Cooey Tool and Arms Co. of Cobourg, Ontario, Canada. The rifle is identical to the pre- WWII Cooey model 60. The barrel on it is a dead ringer contour wise for the barrel on my '54 39-A- the rifling even appears to be cut the same way. It is 24 inches long. It has the same deep blue/black lustrous bluing as the 39-A. The action and bolt are in the white- I suppose that's how they made them back then in Cobourg.

Any opinions or knowledge would be greatly appreciated...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "If you are under 25, and not a Liberal, you have no heart. If you are over 25, and not a Conservative, you have no brain."

-Winston S. Churchill

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

It's entirely possible. Marlin made barrels for Savage as late as 1946, I believe. I asked around on the Sav Collector's forum for opinions what specific models might have had such barrels, but they were in denial. Unfortunately, I don't think the barrels were always marked. I have an early 1899 Sav that is and possibly one other. The only way to find out for sure would be to go through the old factory correspondence - if such still exists. SW
    Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

I find the Savage connection interesting. The rifle is quite similar to the Steven's 066 Buckhorn Model with minor differences in the stock, safety, and cocking plunger. The magazine tube rings are a little different as well. Unfortunately, the barrel is unmarked. The JM/Oval roll stamp would be nice to see here- it would clarify a lot.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "If you are under 25, and not a Liberal, you have no heart. If you are over 25, and not a Conservative, you have no brain."

-Winston S. Churchill

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

I've talked with some Savage guys who still insist that Marlin never made anything more than barrels for the model 1895! When I told them they also made them for the earlier 99's the pooh poohed me, saying Savage was fully capable of making their own barrels, and that there is no proof Marlin ever built the model 1895"s!
    As for the Ruger barrels, they made more than just rimfire barrles. They also supplied centerfire barrels from 1950's to about 1969, when they stopped due to their own demands for barrels.
    I don't know about the Cooey rifles, as I have very little info on these Canadian guns.
    Old Marlins, and Single Shot Rifles!
    http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

Wrangler
    Member #

The Savage collectors are in bigtime denial. My 1895 Savage has the JM trademark on the barrel and it is well known that Marlin made the rifle for Savage. I also have and early Savage 1899 and it has the JM trademark on the barrel. It took awhile for Aurther Savage to get his plant up and running. Parley
    'am that man. Matt Dillon United States Marshall. The first man they look for and the last they want to meet.

Wrangler
    Member #

My younger brother collects Savage rifles -
    They do seem to be a cantankerous bunch, with their funny looking lever action rifles and all.........
    WB
    MARLIN - The Gun For The Man Who Knows"

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

You're right Parley. Seems to gripe some folks that their gun was made by another company. On the other hand, us Marlin collectors love to get our hands on Marlin made Savage 1895's!
    I've seen some of the early 1899 Savages with Marlin barrels, and I've wondered if they had begun to make their own guns, and used up the leftover barrels, or if Marlin continued to supply barrels for awhile, after Savage was up and running?
    Hard to argue about whether Marlin had a hand in these early guns, when you see that trademark JM in the oval!
    Old Marlins, and Single Shot Rifles!
    http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

Wrangler
    Member #

Yep, I agree. Parley
    'am that man. Matt Dillon United States Marshall. The first man they look for and the last they want to meet.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

I always wondered why my original Ruger 10/22 from 1964/5 serial #66** shoots much better than any newer 10/22, and shoots with target barrelled 10/22s...
    Thanks guys,guess that answers my question..
    "The Constitution preserves "the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." (James Madison of Virginia, The Federalist, No. 46)

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links