What's the thought aobut guns that have been "modified"?
Like Tree13Likes
  • 3 Post By Raging Bull
  • 2 Post By Calibre38-40
  • 4 Post By marlinman93
  • 2 Post By nachogrande
  • 1 Post By lever addict
  • 1 Post By jberke

Thread: What's the thought aobut guns that have been "modified"?

Sidewinder
    Member #

What's the thought aobut guns that have been "modified"?

I'm relatively new to the forum and definitely new to buying used guns.
    Almost everything I have was purchased new.

I've seen a lot of guns that have had trigger work done, parts "upgraded", wood refinished.
    So what is the thought about the value of guns that have been modified?

When do mods make you nervous? Is it buyer beware?
    How about "collectable" value? Is it affected by modifications?

I hope you can see what I'm wondering about.
    Thanks for anything you can add.

And if anyone knows of a thread where this topic has been beat up already, please let me know.
    Last edited by jberke; 07-04-2012 at 10:13 PM.

Wrangler
    Member #
    This is just my two cents, and I am sure you will get lots of information over the next few days over this one. Modified guns, for the most part are an attempt to upgrade your average Joe gun, just like upgrading a car with fancy wheels and a booming radio system. Some things that you modify will increase its value while others will decrease. My feelings are if I were to modify a gun, say spending a hundred bucks just to change the trigger pull, its because I am getting it to keep it and maybe pass it along to my son later in life. I am not planning on spending that kind of money to tweak something that I plan on dropping off in the market unless something emergency like happens, for instance I lose my job or get injured and thats the only way I can pay my bills. I am going to be bold and say that the value of your newer gun will drop in value to some degree, if for no other reason, than the fact that once you buy it, and shoot it just once, its now used and why would another person give you, all your money back for a used gun when they can get an exact copy in actual new condition, for the same price. I would expect 10 to 35% drop, depending on the gun, if or until it reaches collectible status, or is a hard to find model. Even the hard to find models sometimes are not a favored of the public, so some people wind up stuck with it. Just my thoughts.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    If we are talking about antique Marlins, I myself, will not purchase unaltered guns. If one has a re-lined barrel, re-finished stock, extra holes drilled etc. It's not for me..As far a value, in my opinion it's worth about half it's original value...Jim
    cobirdhunter and Raging Bull like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Calibre38-40 View Post
    If we are talking about antique Marlins, I myself, will not purchase unaltered guns. ..Jim
    Didn't you mean you wont purchase "altered" guns?

I personally have no problem with some alterations, but it depends on what they are, when they were done, and how old the gun is.
    I've purchased old Marlins or Ballards with old period scopes on them, and they are very cool! I've also purchased old Ballards that were built into period schuetzen rifles with all the bells and whistles, and they too are pretty neat guns. I doubt many people would pass up an old Ballard modified by Pope or Schoyen.
    I've got an early 1893 TD in .25-36 that has a unique period sight dovetailed into the receiver. Not factory, but one of the neatest old 1893's I've ever owned.
    I pick and choose what alterations I accept, but sure don't rule them out across the board. Some even add value to the gun if done correctly, during the period, and by the right person.
    Old Marlins, and Single Shot Rifles!
    http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

Banned
    Member #
    a very personal prefference type subject. if like me and you can't leave anything alone, I do a lot of mods if I think they will improve the way it shoots for me and I intend on keeping it FOR ME. just about any internal mod will void a warranty. it's your gun, do as you wish if it makes you enjoy it or shoot it better. but I'd hate to see some nice wood bedazzled. "MOST" mods IMO would lower resale value, cuz you usually don't know who did the work or how well.
    cobirdhunter and Raging Bull like this.

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    Certain mods on old Marlins aren't bad. In time the value of some modified rifles will still rise anyway! You can't get much of an 1893 for under a grand anymore unless you get lucky. Old Marlins are a hot commodity now and even junkers sold as parts can bring a decent buck! There aren't a lot of NICE unmodified old Marlins out there, but when you find them they are very expensive!
    jberke likes this.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    If you're gonna modify one, make sure it's a new one! That way it could only INCREASE the value!

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Thanks for all the comments. Most seem to express what I was feeling. If you really want to collect one, look for something that's not modified.
    But if it's a shooter you're looking for, then it "depends"! One comment stands out.

Lever Addict said:
    There aren't a lot of NICE unmodified old Marlins out there, but when you find them they are very expensive!

That seems to say it all.

I find myshelf shying away from modifed ones. Not sure why. I guess like it was pointed out, I'm never sure where or who did the mods.

Thanks for the feedback!
    Last edited by jberke; 07-06-2012 at 09:40 PM.
    SwampDude likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links