A Quandry

Thread: A Quandry

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

A Quandry

A guy's got a WW II vintage 330 Weaver for sale on CGN. It's priced at 150 Cdn and does not include rings or mount. It's described as being in "average" condition. Seller claims it was taken from a WW II rifle by the previous owner.

I'm tempted, but that quiet inner voice sez this price is pretty much out of line- and I usually listen.....

Thoughts on this anyone? Would be a shame to buy it and end up having to put it in modern 3/4" rings and mount....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "If you are under 25, and not a Liberal, you have no heart. If you are over 25, and not a Conservative, you have no brain."

-Winston S. Churchill

Deadeye
    Member #

A Quandry

DOC, if it truly came from a WW2 rifle it will have a drawing no. on it beginning with JXXXXXXX. If so, not very out of line. If not, out of line. IMHO,moodyholler
    Hopkins and Allen Falling blocks,single shots and Lever guns.
    Life Member NRA
    Member NMLRA
    Life Member WVMLRA

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

A Quandry

Some of the first 330's used by the military were just commercial models purchased from Weaver, and the serial numbers were hand scratched into the scopes. Later, Weaver stamped them before thay left the factory.
    I see correct Weaver 330's going up at $200+ with all the correct markings. I also see run of the mill 330's, without mounts going $100. Not sure of the exchange rate.
    Old Marlins, and Single Shot Rifles!
    http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

A Quandry

My take on the whole thing is: 'when in doubt - don't.' Telescopes shouldn't have any trouble getting across the border so you could take your time looking for another.

Unless, of course, the bug has bitten you badly! Been there - ain't cured of it!! SW
    Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

A Quandry

The Dept. of Finance is frowning over this matter. Think I'll let this one slip by, much as I hate to. Something still nags about it- enough to let her go despite my wanting one.

On the brighter side, I dug up an early Bushnell Banner in the scope drawer- A 6 X 32mm with a fine plex reticle. One of my rural show finds no doubt. After focussing the eye-piece, I found it to be a truly nice scope. Musta been one of them 30 buck specials- very light normal use marks on it, and excellent glass. Does "B-L" in an oval mean what I think it does? It's serialized, and says made in Japan under the serial #...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "If you are under 25, and not a Liberal, you have no heart. If you are over 25, and not a Conservative, you have no brain."

-Winston S. Churchill

Sidewinder
    Member #

A Quandry

Doc

"B-L in an oval", is a Bausch & Lomb trade mark to my knowledge. Bausch & Lomb usually uses a Triangle with Bausch & Lomb Optical Compay, Roschester, NY, USA, but I have seen what you discribe also. As usual, I stand to be corrected.

DG
    You know a guy's time is worth something unless your on welfare"

"Stupidity can be corrected"

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

A Quandry

Thanks Smoke. I had heard rumours of B&L grinding lenses for Bushnell, but have been unable to find concrete evidence that it actually occurred. We do know that Bushnell bought out B&L a while back, but I didn't think it was that early- the scope dates to the late sixties from what I've been able to uncover....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

-Winston S. Churchill

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links