Passing a collection to your heirs:
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree168Likes

Thread: Passing a collection to your heirs:

Tinhorn
    Member #

Passing a collection to your heirs:

At what time in your life do you begin passing your collection on to your children? Do you give them what you think they would want? Do you consult with them about what they like? I would rather start giving them guns while I’m around than have my wife just open the safe and say take what you want. I have a son and a daughter (whose husband is my hunting buddy) as my heirs. I believe both would be grateful for whatever they got. My son loves lever action rifles and the son-in-law is more into ARs and bolt guns (although he hunts deer with a JM 30-30 I gave him. Think he feels obligated because I always tell him it’s perfect for where we hunt.) Right now I think I’ll put a tag on each gun with the name of who I want to have it. I’ll begin handing them out as the spirit hits me. Any thoughts you guys would like to share would be appreciated.

"Opinionated Texan" Super Moderator
    Member #
    my dad passed away back in October.
    He left me in charge of his collection, with specific instructions
    as to who gets what...and who gets nothing.

I think after dealing with this, when i get to a certain point,
    i'm going to start giving some of mine away.
    Hard thing is, like you said....when?
    I don't think there's a good answer to that.
    My dad knew he was on short time...and i think he would have
    dealt with it himself but he didn't want to and finally
    at the end he just couldn't.
    I guess the best answer is, do it before it's too late.
    Navajo
    Lever-Action Addict
    Savage 99 fan
    MXLR fan
    Full-Blood Texan

Wrangler
    Member #
    I have received one gun from a dear friend after he passed away. He told me to pick one out. I wished he would have given it to me before he passed and then I could have told him how good I was shooting skeet with it. He would have gotten a big kick out of that.

So I would keep a minimum for you to hunt with and give them out asap. Tell them they can't sell them until you pass, but hope they will use them and tell you stories about them. That is what I would want. I only have one stepson and he is a college professor, so his hunting times are limited. I think I will sell down to a few really nice guns and give him and the grand kids them before the final hunt!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Give away what you want while you are alive. But I would suggest you make a Will that specifies who gets what firearms you still have in your possession when you die. Putting tags on them isn’t the best way to pass them on.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    My 0.02

Find out if your heirs are interested. Not all young folks are interested. My three sons have little to no interest in my collected arms, nor do they live in areas where they would be able to shoot without a significant degree of expense or difficulty. Giving them my fire arms would only result in them getting sold. It is not unheard of for heirs with no interest and no knowledge to sell their relative's guns at a pawn shop.

I have a book that (hopefully) my wife knows about listing my firearms, receipts, prices paid, etc. Worse comes to worse she could look there and get some idea what they are worth. Eventually, I will suggest a trusted friend who could help her sell them. Don't make the mistake of letting her sell them for what you told her you paid for them--that's a joke...)

There is a good amount of enjoyment in being there yourself when you give away a gun to someone who will cherish and appreciate it. I hope to be able to do that more than a few times before I'm done.

At the point where my interest is waning and my abilities are seriously compromised, I will sell most of the remaining arms myself. It is not fair to my wife to have to do it. Hopefully I can get more for them than they would garner at auction--particularly considering commissions. And I'll only keep a few home protection firearms.

This is proportionately more important according to how large your collection is. And especially true if you have been a collector of particularly historical and valuable weapons. Look for interest in other collectors. Practically the only other option after your death would be to have the collection sold at a nation auction house. That may or not be the way you want it to happen.

Case in point. My father-in-law's widowed neighbor asked me to look at her late husband's Luger. Well, it wasn't a Luger, it was a Walther P38, from 1941 98% + condition, 3 digit serial number, two matching serial numbered mags, and a leather holster. She had previously been offered $500 for it. I spoke to one WWII dealer who told me he'd give her 3500.00 sight unseen. She and I had a long
    talk about where and how to sell it, when she's ready. It was her FILs WWII bring back. He was a tank commander.

Her late husband gave her no instructions or information about this Walther. She had no idea.

IMG_0546.jpgIMG_0547.jpgIMG_0548.jpgIMG_0549.jpgIMG_0550.jpgIMG_0551.jpg

Not a pleasant topic, but it really is best to work these things out yourself, while you still can.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Markopolo50 comments hit home. I’m sure I would get way more enjoyment seeing them in the hands of my kids than sitting in the safe. And a good friend that lets me hunt his 87 acres exclusively deserves the Browning Citori I’ve had for 25 years (shot twice, cleaned dozens of times).

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Don’t give away that Marlin 30AW just yet, enjoy it for at least a couple of hunts. I don’t think I could have a Citori and only shoot it twice.
    Team 39 #474, Team 60 #445, Team Bolt Action Rimfire #163, Team 22 Magnum #172
    Team Glenfield #85, Team 30-30 #1370, Team 32 Special #162, Team 35 #749,
    Team 444 ​#761, Team 45/70 #1831, ​Team Marlin Express

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Not planning on checking out just yet. Had to buy yours because I gave my JMs to my boys. Left myself with only a Remlin (which is actually quite accurate).
    shawlerbrook and marlinluvr like this.

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    My wife knows which ones go to who but if they are not interested then I have educated her as to what their worth is so she can sell to an FFL. Our current State is run by Commie anti-gun politicians so they make it very hard to pass to family. Lucky I have an FFL who is also a judge (conservative) who can help my wife disperse the firearms and get what they are worth. Don't wait and talk it over with those who will appreciate the firearm passing down to them.

Wrangler
    Western Tennessee, close to the Big Muddy - but not TOO close!
    Member #
    Several years before my dad died, he requested that "the Children" come home for a "Family Get-together" and conference.
    The family dinner was great and like old times.
    The Conference was in regards to "things" in the house that we and/or our spouses would like to have. The jist of that was he requested we go through the house with our respective spouse and make a list of the "things" we would like to have.
    There were no promises the "like to have's" would be honored, but at least he had an idea of who would like to have whatever. It worked well, at least for us. Something like that could work for your collection - then if you felt the time was right, you could "gift" those guns when and how you pleased - or not.
    Just a thought.

WYT-P
    Skyhunter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links