Passing a collection to your heirs: - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Like Tree168Likes

Thread: Passing a collection to your heirs:

Sidewinder
    Member #
    P.S. Last week a gent who is a clays instructor told me he has seen a new phenomenon: some kids who never shot are REALLY good on clays and sporting clays. He and his buddies theorize when today's kids play video games, they don't even think about the controllers and buttons in their hands, they just see the target and eliminate it. When a shotgun is put in their hands, they're naturally trained to only see the target. If you have scatterguns no-one seems interested in, take kids to a club as an outing, see if they can bust a few. (No reason to tell them the above theory, it might make them "see" the barrel.) Maybe their interest will light up, and the guns can find a good home after all.
    All Guns Are Always Loaded, Finger Off The Trigger Until the Moment of Truth

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by HoploDad View Post
    P.S. Last week a gent who is a clays instructor told me he has seen a new phenomenon: some kids who never shot are REALLY good on clays and sporting clays. He and his buddies theorize when today's kids play video games, they don't even think about the controllers and buttons in their hands, they just see the target and eliminate it. When a shotgun is put in their hands, they're naturally trained to only see the target. If you have scatterguns no-one seems interested in, take kids to a club as an outing, see if they can bust a few. (No reason to tell them the above theory, it might make them "see" the barrel.) Maybe their interest will light up, and the guns can find a good home after all.
    Just took my brother to a trap range near me recently, his first time trying it (he's 17). The kid did better than me and my two friends who've been shooting trap for about 10 years. Granted we were a little rusty because it's been a while, but all the same he was killing it.

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #
    Growing up, I had a favorite uncle who always seemed to have more than enough guns and from a kid's perspective, the best of everything. After I'd been home from the service a few years, we were duck hunting on the beach of the Jordan River in front of his house in Trenton, Maine one fine day and enjoyed a fine lobster stew he had built for a warm up. The 3rd day of December and we were shooting in shirtsleeves after the sun came up. After brunch, I was perusing his gun cabinet, through the glass door, and noticed a few "missing". I inquired and he offered up that he decided he had too many. He had worked hard and bought them all so figured if anyone wanted them, they could go to the Western Auto in Ellsworth and buy them, like he had. I sucked hard and inquired, and your double twenty gauge? One of his pals had offered him $300 for it and if you think you want it, tell me you'll give me $300 for it and you can take it home with you. I did! 15 years later we had a falling out that I didn't get over until after he had passed away. Bunch of wasted years, however along the way I realized that I didn't shoot that double any more and one thing led to another and in a fit of downsizing, I unloaded every gun I had ceased to like and ceased to shoot. Upon reflection, I probably should have kept that old shotgun, just because, and a single shot Remington 22lr Model 33 that had been my grandmother's and I had grown up truly hating that cocking piece. My son was the last to learn to shoot with that 22 and I have a particularly special picture of him shooting it with me and my Dad. Oh well. The new traditions are beginning to unfold. He has learned to love guns nearly as much as I do and has a growing appreciation for the old lever guns. Last week he discovered the joy of my wildcat 35-30 (thanks Hyphenated!) and rung the dinger in a 25mph crosswind at a touch over 100 yards offhand until I was out of ammo..Yup, he had that "Dinger Smile". His 9 year old son is also climbing the ladder from his Marlin 22 a 25Y model to his great grandfather's 257 Roberts (the 1952) light loads a low power scope and a smile, but he'd just as soon be shooting the 1894 Marlin (S) 41mag. What's not to smile about. Another reason I am so glad I've stayed mostly in areas where if I want to give a gun to somebody, I can, just as I would a hammer or a deck of cards. Don't need some agency telling me what I can and cannot do. Those are good places to be from. JMHO
    Last edited by Sweetwater; 02-18-2020 at 12:05 PM.
    marlinluvr and HoploDad like this.
    Sweetwater
    WDRA, Billy Dixon Em
    Team 35 Mbr #75
    Team 32 Mbr #27
    Team Old Pharts #226

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    I have three children (two boys and a girl); only one of the boys is a hunter/shooter. I don't think the other two would be offended if their sibling received all the firearms. However, if that's what happens, when it comes to a final distribution of money and stocks, should the fact that son child received all the guns be taken into account? What about Mom's jewelry? Our daughter will probably get the lion's share of that. How will the value of the jewelry compare to that of the firearms? What about our other son? He gets no guns or jewelry but the same amount of money and stocks? Hmmm . . . an interesting situation that Mom and I will, I'm sure, address in some way.
    Sweetwater likes this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    lots of discussion on this topic, no easy answers. Good luck, hope you are well for a long time, and hope our younger generation appreciates walnut and steel tools that are also works of art and craftsmanship.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

"Opinionated Texan" Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post

One thing to seriously consider and remember is that when you pass, the vultures will come out of the woodwork, especially if there are firearms and/or tools involved.

I have told and identified to the Squeeze about certain people at the local gun club who will come along and promise to keep her best interests first and foremost, but they will actually take care of themselves and their friends first. Saw that happen to 3-4 now-deceased shooters and collectors whose widows lost money and some things just disappeared. Also knew a guy who was an antique tool collector. One of his "friends" gave his widow a little over US $1000.00 for about $3000 - 4000 worth of antique US and British woodworking hand tools. In so many words, he told her that "no one wants that old stuff and it never was worth much." But if you listen to him, she only wanted $1000 and he gave her a bit more out of generosity....

this is the very sad but honest truth in many cases.
    it happened in my family, before my dad even passed away.
    and what the particular family members didn't know,
    is that if they had kept their mouth shut, and shown my dad,
    and me, some respect instead of sticking their hand out, and showing
    they're ass...
    they would have inherited some of his things.
    Ret_Eng and Sweetwater like this.
    Navajo
    Lever-Action Addict
    Savage 99 fan
    MXLR fan
    Full-Blood Texan

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Unfortunately the best of families can have serious issues when a loved one dies. There's no way to predict how things will go until it happens. So if you don't want your heirs to end up fighting over the estate, and hating each other, be sure to lay it all out in your will, or take care of it before you die.
    My parents had no will, and a decade or so before they died they changed the executor of the estate from my older brother to me. Some hard feelings over the change, but even more trouble for me once my dad passed. I wouldn't want anyone to ever go through an estate without a will, unless they're an only child.
    Sweetwater likes this.
    Old Marlins, and Single Shot Rifles!
    http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    The best way to go is with a will. Also if you are older you have to face the facts. You should know how much your collection is valued by your heirs other than money. Family heirlooms should be given to family members that will cherish them and pass them on. Other guns are just guns and maybe you could do a better job of selling them off than leaving it to family.

I had a good buddy pass several years ago. His wife called me several times in tears. There were guys calling her up telling her my buddy had barrowed guns and tools off them and they would like to have them back. They were all liars and it surprised me that they would pull such a low trick. None ever made a second call after I had a word with them.

I'm very sensitive to this type thing. It's hard for me to see people go through a guys life time accumulation of stuff like its a flea market. I will not buy anything from estates of people I know and will only sell for strangers or very close friends.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Judson View Post
    I have three children (two boys and a girl); only one of the boys is a hunter/shooter. I don't think the other two would be offended if their sibling received all the firearms. However, if that's what happens, when it comes to a final distribution of money and stocks, should the fact that son child received all the guns be taken into account? What about Mom's jewelry? Our daughter will probably get the lion's share of that. How will the value of the jewelry compare to that of the firearms? What about our other son? He gets no guns or jewelry but the same amount of money and stocks? Hmmm . . . an interesting situation that Mom and I will, I'm sure, address in some way.
    I believe each family unit will have to work that one out. I got all the guns, period. My sister got all mom's jewelry, all the furnishings, and Dad's home. His car and truck had been preciously liquidated. His bank account, we split between the two of us. Dad's will was in several versions, most of which had never been filed or even signed. We did what we felt was fair "for us". I'm sure your kids will do much the same. Small estates are easy. If my younger brother had been alive, he would have had a choice of some of the guns. My sister didn't get a choice there, nor did I get a choice in mom's jewelry. However, my wife did. There was a couple pieces I had given her that she put a note with to go to my Annie. Again, if my brother had been alive, he would have received 1/3 of the bank accounts and "maybe" some stuff out of the house. We will never know....My children got some of my inheritance passed to them, and my sister did the same for hers. No easy answers but it all worked out....I guess....it's been 38 months and we are still speaking...
    Judson likes this.
    Sweetwater
    WDRA, Billy Dixon Em
    Team 35 Mbr #75
    Team 32 Mbr #27
    Team Old Pharts #226

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Mother died prior to Dad. Dad remarries. Dad owned a home in Florida and a nice car. Before his death, he created a family trust, and transferred ownership of the house and car to the trust. He named one of my brothers the trustee of the trust. Dad dies, and stepmother, who owned a house in KY, spent her winters in Florida in the house and driving the car, both of which were not hers but rather the property of the trust. Although the firearms had previously been distributed, all of the other "family stuff" stayed in the house in Florida. This was so the house wasn't in any way, "stripped out" or made unusable. Stepmother did this for 3 years prior to her death. (This was 3 years' of work for that brother because he had a lot of "back 'n forth" with stepmother regarding anything with the house or car, because they were owned by, and were assets of the trust so the trust funded any maintenance/repair issues, trust paid for utilities/insurances, etc.) In the meantime, all of our valuable (either financially or sentimentally) family items were at the whim of stepmother.

Dad wanted stepmother taken care of. Family items were safe because stepmother was a quality lady. When she died, brother cleaned out the Florida house, taking everything to his house. Dad's will (which was very detailed about the family trust, final percentages of money/stock distribution, etc.) was silent on "who gets what" of the family items. Trustee brother made a video with sister-in-law holding or pointing to each item. Brother assigned us imaginary "family dollars" - we all received 100. We bid on 10 items predetermined items. One of those items, for me, was a "must have" so I spent all of my 100 "dollars" on that item and didn't bid on anything else. I received that item. Then, brother designated another 10 items, assigned another imaginary 100 dollars, and we bid again. This went on until there was no interest on the remaining items and they went to Goodwill. There were (still are) five siblings (I'm the "baby" of the family). All this took place 20-25 years ago, and we're all still on speaking terms! (As a matter of fact, four of the five of us - with our spouses - are taking a trip to New Orleans next month - oldest cannot participate as she has Alzhimer's.

P.S. At money/stock distribution, trustee brother received 10K more than the rest of us as he had more work to do than the rest of us, and more work to do as trustee of a trust than he would have had to do as executor of just a will.
    Sweetwater likes this.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links