Passing a collection to your heirs: - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree168Likes

Thread: Passing a collection to your heirs:

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    One kid...that likes the shootin' sports, so not much of a problem! I've been "giving" him one on special occasions also, although they have stayed in my possession...for now. I've written down on 3x5 index cards all the pertinent information as far as make/model/date purchased/cost/accessories/where and what used for/animals taken with it/why it was purchased (special occasion?)/original owner/ possible selling price and anything else I feel someone would want to know. He knows they'll be his and the wife also has been told they go to him! Unfortunately, that day will come (hopefully later than sooner), but it's somewhat comforting knowin' that decision (along with what's to happen if something medically/physically happened and i couldn't take care of myself) has been made ahead of time!

P.S. folks, don't forget, you can sell firearms to your MO loved ones and not have to pay auction house commissions, with the transfer/shippin' costs (minimal compared to commissions) passed to the buyer! MUCH better alternative IMO!
    shawlerbrook, Danee96 and HoploDad like this.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    When to begin divesting your guns is not the same for everyone. But if you're still interested, and still looking to add guns, it's not the time to get rid of them. I'm hitting 70 this year, and no plans to give away most of my guns yet. I have given a couple to my oldest son and a couple to my youngest daughter, and her husband. Just guns that didn't need, and I knew they'd enjoy them more.
    But the vast majority of my guns are still making me smile when I hold them, shoot them, or just look at them. So I'm not letting them go.
    I have a master list inside one safe of every gun I own that lists serial numbers, and descriptions, plus any pertinent accessories that need to stay with the gun. It also lists what I paid for each gun so my heirs can have some reference. I don't update the values as it's not important they get more for them than what I paid. But in the case of some great bargains I got I have noted what their true values might be, so they have some reference beyond what I paid. I have a few historical guns that I've noted might go to museums if my heirs don't want them. I'd rather they were donated to a museum than simply sold to the highest bidder.
    I think it's good to have some guidelines for your heirs, but shouldn't be so stringent that there's no options. Not all of my kids appreciate or even know zip about my old gun collection. So I'm not sure I want them to be burdened with me directing guns to them that they'd likely just sell anyway.
    Old Marlins, and Single Shot Rifles!
    http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

Deadeye
    Member #
    When I get to the point my guns are of no use to me I am selling them and spending the money on something frivolous. I also hope to stick my offspring and remaining relatives with the bill for my funeral but I know they will donate my body to the local State police forensics for human body decomposition studies.
    shawlerbrook, Danee96 and HoploDad like this.
    I like it. I love it. Can't get enough of it.

Lever Action Silhouette Rifle - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I live in the crappy state of NY, & my nephew lives in Pa. I had to list al my guns by Make, Model, & serial number in my will. When I go my nephew along with my attorney will have to take my guns to an ffl in NY & have them shipped to my nephew`s ffl in Pa. He cannot take them with him, will have to pay the ffl fee in NY & in PA. plus the shipping charges. I feel that when that time is near I am going to go hunting in Pa along with all my guns & store them with my nephew`s ffl with instructions. That way when I do die his ffl can transfer them to him. (I`m going to talk to my attorney about this).The hell with NY, what can they do when I`m dead & all that is left are my ashes.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Most of my guns have been given to me by my father and uncles. I have 4 sons to pass them to when the time is right. I hope that they will understand the importance of keeping them
    vs the short term monetary gain of selling.
    Team 30-30 #1455

Gun Wizard
    Member #

One thing to seriously consider and remember is that when you pass, the vultures will come out of the woodwork, especially if there are firearms and/or tools involved.

I have told and identified to the Squeeze about certain people at the local gun club who will come along and promise to keep her best interests first and foremost, but they will actually take care of themselves and their friends first. Saw that happen to 3-4 now-deceased shooters and collectors whose widows lost money and some things just disappeared. Also knew a guy who was an antique tool collector. One of his "friends" gave his widow a little over US $1000.00 for about $3000 - 4000 worth of antique US and British woodworking hand tools. In so many words, he told her that "no one wants that old stuff and it never was worth much." But if you listen to him, she only wanted $1000 and he gave her a bit more out of generosity....
    In real life may you be the bad ass you claim to be on social media....

Wrangler
    Member #
    Your guns, your call!

If you want to see them enjoy them, give them to whomever you choose soon. Experience shooting those guns with them. I'd go to the range (or wherever it is you shoot), let them shoot it, and then tell them it's theirs and why you think they deserve it. It'll leave a nice memory together attached to the gun when your time comes.

If you want to make it a parting gift leave them in your will; list them out specifically so they know who gets what. If you don't care who gets what, or if you're undecided on what gun should go to who, just will the whole collection to them and they can decide for themselves who gets what. Less personal, but at least you know everyone is happy with what they get.

At the ripe old age of 23 I have plenty of time to figure that out, but as for myself, I'd hand them out after a hunt or a good range day. Make it really personal, like it's a part of you you're leaving them to keep. It'll add to the value, at least in sentiment.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by navajo View Post
    my dad passed away back in October.
    He left me in charge of his collection, with specific instructions
    as to who gets what...and who gets nothing.

I think after dealing with this, when i get to a certain point,
    i'm going to start giving some of mine away.
    Hard thing is, like you said....when?
    I don't think there's a good answer to that.
    My dad knew he was on short time...and i think he would have
    dealt with it himself but he didn't want to and finally
    at the end he just couldn't.
    I guess the best answer is, do it before it's too late.
    Very sorry to hear of your dad's passing... mine's been gone 2 years. A car guy, he had tons of very rare and original Model T parts (many 1911) and Model A parts. It was really amazing how when the guys from the local club came in to buy it all, how some tried to absolutely steal at low prices. Not all, but enough to put a sour taste in your mouth, as my mom could've used the money. Anyway, I second the vote to start while you're alive and can direct everything to the best home.
    shawlerbrook and marlinluvr like this.
    All Guns Are Always Loaded, Finger Off The Trigger Until the Moment of Truth

Site Contributor Super Moderator
    Member #
    My grandfather called my Dad about 4 months before he passed away. Told him to come get the cabinet. It was a glass door gun cabinet that he had built when I was born. I went with him to help with the heft of it. It was a two piece structure so was able to fit in the trunk and in the back seat of Dad's Ford LTD. All the guns were in cases and we put them where they fit. I knew Gramp had sold his Winchester Model 70 30-06, but I never knew why. It was his "have to have" rifle after he turned 70, and though he carried it, he never shot anything with it. All the rest were there, but a couple of revolvers had disappeared from the bottom cabinet. They had a "shady past", filed off serial numbers and such, and Dad figured Gramp had made a trip back to the farm he used to own and dropped them in the bottomless swamp up in the back corner. There was no "transfer" per se and I reckon that Winchester might have been the only gun in the cabinet that had any paper trail. They just became Dad's and some 5 years later, most of them became mine when Dad retired. He took 2 rifles and a revolver and gave me the rest of the guns, he put the cabinet in storage with his household goods. He wasn't ready to pass that along. In 1990, he settled into another home (from his 5th wheel camper) and I gave him back his guns. In 2009 at 82, he called for me to come get the cabinet and the guns, for the last time. He passed away at 89 and we had several days at the range in that last couple years, but it was sort of a last hurrah and we knew it. I told my kids if they wanted any of the guns that I needed to know. I had already given my youngest and only son a few on his 21st birthday. My oldest asked for my Ruger Mk II 22 pistol, so after a shooting session, I left it on her kitchen table when I left. She asked if I was dying. I said not that I know of, just wanted to enjoy watching her enjoy it - and she does. She also has my mom's shotgun, from my mom. My 2nd daughter asked for that shotgun and I just explained that her grandmother had already given it to her sister. She wasn't happy, and then she asked for my '73 Win and I swallowed hard as that is my favorite dinger ringer. I knew whatever she had would just go on the wall of her husband's man cave, so I told her I'd come up with something. I found a Savage Model 120P that had been my first attempt at getting something that was totally non-functional and getting it functional. Gunsmith certified OK. So I gave that to her. The 3rd daughter hasn't sent any vibrations and she lives in the San Diego suburbs, so that remains to be seen. Some of my guns are my investments and some of them will be sold to help fund our retirement, but "the family guns" will all stay "somewhere in the family" long before I pass on. Most are already in their "new homes" and the rest will be as soon as my house sells and I no longer have room for "more than I can shoot in an afternoon"....between me and my kids and that's how I keep things. I carried all these guns from Maine to California with a stop in Wyoming and another in North Idaho. Time to loosen my grip on them....
    Sweetwater
    WDRA, Billy Dixon Em
    Team 35 Mbr #75
    Team 32 Mbr #27
    Team Old Pharts #226

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Guys, if you do only one thing, MAKE OUT A WILL, stating who gets what. If you don`t there is going to be a lot of infighting in your family. Believe me I have seen it happen when it comes to anything worth money, it will bring out the worst in a close knitted family. Spell out how you want your estate split up & you won`t have any infighting because your will becomes your wishes. You might have one or two that are not satisfied but at least they know these are your wishes.
    HoploDad and marlinluvr like this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links