Passing a collection to your heirs: - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree167Likes

Thread: Passing a collection to your heirs:

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #
    Great information above. Something else to consider is the changing gun laws and universal background checks. They are already the case in some state and I think it will be the law of land( unfortunately) sooner or later. This will mean a cost to give a gun to your heirs. Another good reason to pass them on while you are alive and before the government interferes. As far as getting rid of those that won’t go to a loved one, I recommend an auction house that specializes in firearms.
    Team 1894 member #67 1977 44 mag.
    Team 35 member #256 1964 Sears M45
    Team 444 member #355 1981 444S
    Team 30 30 member #830
    1980 Marlin 3080 Trail Rider & Win 94 Custom Trapper

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I'm 60, my son is 30. I began the process of passing my guns on to him several years ago, one at a time on birthdays, Christmas etc.
    He likes to shoot and is an avid hunter so he appreciates what is being given to him. I've got quite a few years left in me and enough guns to pass along to last me another 10-15 years. If I live long enough I'll always keep a few for around the house up to the day I die.
    "Son, don't be a liar or a thief, everything else will work out fine."- Dad

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I watched my grandparents get robbed in their golden years including what I believe was a very rare Ballard and a clock who's twin is on proud display at the Smithsonian, I know my child could never care for all that's in the big iron box and I'm toying with the idea of calling an auctioneer even as I pursue new acquisitions, marlinitis has crept deep in my bones. but I know none of us live forever.
    if you have children or relatives that would appreciate and care for your treasured items you might as well get the joy of watching them enjoy while your still able.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wrangler
    Member #
    A gun trust may be a good idea. It's not cheap, I got pricing of $650 to $850, but at least if you pass, the state you live
    in won't tie up your firearms in probate, or confiscate them all together. That may happen if you don't designate beneficiaries.
    Team Bolt Action Rifle #181, Team 22 Magnum #192, Team 60 #517, Team 30-30 #1381

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Sounds like Skyhunters father was a wise man. I think that is the approach I will take. As well as another poster who has been passing them out on special occasions. Can always count on you guys for good ideas. Thank you.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    My parents moved to a retirement facility a few years ago. This was a huge downsizing for them. Dad specifically asked me what I wanted of his firearms. I told him of the two that I really wanted. He then split up the rest between my brother and myself. My brother isn't much into the shooting sports...but he does enjoy getting out at times.

Anyway...my advice is to ask the kids what they want...and resolve any disputes now. I believe you will find it easier. Also...make it known to them...that if YOU want to use a firearm...that it is still available to YOU at any time. (if the collection is geographically close enough to you to make this practical)...as long as they know it will return to them...they shouldn't have a problem with it.

my $0.02

redhawk
    The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Be Alert....we need more lerts.
    Not all who wander....are lost.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Danee96 View Post
    ... Right now I think I’ll put a tag on each gun with the name of who I want to have it. I’ll begin handing them out as the spirit hits me. Any thoughts you guys would like to share would be appreciated.
    I have NFA so while tags on things is nice for heirs who play well together it doesn't have a lot of legal weight. Everything I own belongs to a trust, trustees and beneficiaries are listed in the trust.

I paid <$300 for my trust from this guy https://www.myguntrust.com/about-us but there are less expensive alternatives out there that are just at solid, ask around.
    F150Grrl, marlinluvr and HoploDad like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I am adoptable..............and really big and furry.................
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

Deadeye
    Member #
    Those of you with "outdoor" kids are fortunate. NONE of the kids/grand kids are that type, unless you count golf courses. When my hunting/shooting days are done I'll have to dispose of them myself one way or another. Hard decision to make although I've taken two to a gun shop for consignment sale. Depending on how well that works out I'll either keep taking some, or look at alternative choices.

From the time you are young you have a great illusion of immortality. Other people die not you ... Then when you have a life changing illness you lose that illusion and you know it can happen to you.
    Nothing is impossible......for the person that don't have to do it !!

Benefactor Member NRA

Tinhorn
    Member #
    An uncle of mine died several months ago. He left several hundred firearms and no will. Right now all the gun are in the oldest son's garage and they belong to "all the children equally". He had two sons and two daughters. I'm waiting till something happens to on his kids and the spouses and grandkids get interested in their "share" of the guns. I'm thinking it's only a matter of time till things get ugly. If you have more than one kid, I'd advise anyone to have a will spelling out exactaly how things will be divided up. I've seen a number of close familys torn apart over estates.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links