Help Identifying Old Model 94
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Help Identifying Old Model 94

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Help Identifying Old Model 94

Hi everyone. I am hoping that someone here can help me with info on an old Marlin 94 that has been in my family for a long time. The gun belonged to my late father, and he told me that it is chambered in 44-40. I have been told that the caliber markings on these guns were sometimes under the forearm, but it does not want to come off and I do not wish to damage the gun by forcing it. The only visible markings are Marlin Model 94 on the top of the stock tang, and what appears to be a 66 or 68 stamped under the lever. Overall the gun is in pretty good shape, functions smoothly, and has a nice clean bore. If anyone can help me figure out the history of this gun or point me to someone who can I would greatly appreciate it.

DSC01222.JPGDSC01223.JPGDSC01224.JPGDSC01225.JPGDSC01226.JPGDSC01227.JPGDSC01228.JPGDSC01229.JPG
    Mike 2010, Golphin, DRSLYR and 7 others like this.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    Something fishy here ? I think rifle has been refinished. The comb isn't usually as shallowly swept back as seen here. I wonder if this is sanded that way. The receiver was usually colour cased unless specifically ordered in blue. The front sight isn't original and I've seen Marbles rear sights look like the one on your rifle. The serial number under the lever is likely two digits or more depleted. I'd like to see a photo of the numbers under the lever. The calibre is usually stamped on top of the barrel just ahead of the receiver. I'd like a picture of that too. Interestingly the rounded lever was used in the early 1930's.
    OLSKOOL, edcknives, Drm50 and 1 others like this.
    If my wife asks....all guns cost five bucks and ammo is free !!!

Wrangler
    Member #
    it was refinished, some of the markings may have been buffed off. if refinished the value will drop by half, I would be more concerned about the condition of the bore.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by eastbank; 06-03-2019 at 06:18 AM.
    edcknives and OLSKOOL like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Welcome to Marlin Owners from NE Indiana.
    Looks refinished to me too. But it looks very well done. Stocks seem to have had less work, if any, done
    Caliber should be stamped on the top of the barrel just in front of the action. A good gunsmith should be able to do a Cerrosafe chamber casting to determine caliber.
    If you have mechanical abilities you should be able to also.
    Steve_In
    People say money can't buy happiness But it can buy me a Marlin and ammo to shoot in it, dies, powder bullets...

Team Southpaw #9 TEAM 1894 #400

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Thanks for all the feedback. That's why I posted here, so more experienced eyes could distinguish features and finish details. No idea of the history or the gun before Dad got it, or how it may have been modified or refinished over its lifetime. Just trying to determine if I should preserve it, or whether I have a nice shooter. Nothing on top of the barrel ahead of the action that I can see. Here is a shot of the number under the barrel. Apologies for the crappy picture, but I don't have a very good camera.

DSC01227.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images
    256WinMag, Golphin and Steve_In like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Definitely a shooter once you determine the cartridge. Has little to no collector value but would be fun the run ammo through. The only concern I would have is that it looks like some of the serial numbers must have been sanded/buffed out and would definitely research the implications of that. ATF doesn't look at serial number mods lightly or favorably in any manner.
    OLSKOOL likes this.
    Matthew 25:40 / WWJD
    Favorite caliber- How is that even possible?
    The more I know the less I understand.
    Recovering Redneck / Recovering Catholic / Recovered racist
    Monotheistic Secular Humanist

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by edcknives View Post
    Definitely a shooter once you determine the cartridge. Has little to no collector value but would be fun the run ammo through. The only concern I would have is that it looks like some of the serial numbers must have been sanded/buffed out and would definitely research the implications of that. ATF doesn't look at serial number mods lightly or favorably in any manner.
    You've got good eyes. With magnification I think you can see the remnants of a number along from the 6 and 8 under the lever. Machine marks are obvious.
    edcknives likes this.
    If my wife asks....all guns cost five bucks and ammo is free !!!

Member #
    The caliber was never marked under the forearm on older Marlins, so don't bother pulling it to search. They were always on top of the barrel, over the chamber area of the barrel. Round barrel rollstamps were pretty light, even without restoration work, and buffing would likely make it even lighter, or non existent now. Use a magnifier to look at the area just in front of the receiver and you might still make out the caliber when magnified.
    The serial number under the lever might actually be the complete number, depending on when the '94 was made. After WWI the new Marin Firearms Corp. started marking serial numbers under the lever, and started all over again with serial numbers. So that two digit number may be the whole number, and nothing removed. You can pull the stock retaining screw on the upper tang and remove the buttstock. The serial number will be on the left side of the upper tang also, and will confirm if it matches that two digit number.
    Old Marlins, and Single Shot Rifles!
    http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Hey marlinman93! I followed your instructions and found a clearly stamped 68 on the left side of the stock tang. I am posting a picture. Does this mean I have an old one?

DSC01230.JPG
    Boris, Golphin and 256WinMag like this.

Marlinstigator Marlin Fanatic
    Minnesota ------------The Great White North--Marliniologist----La'i-be'eeldoh
    Member #
    Yours was probably made in the early 30's. They stopped making the 94 around 1934, 35.

The on prefix serial numbers started in the 1881, and restarted in the 20's, and again in the 30's.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Golphin and 256WinMag like this.
    La'i-be'eeldoh=(many guns)-NRA Life - Marlin league #16, Minnesota MarlinOwners--Team's= Marlin Express, Levermatic, 35 Rem #68, 32 Special #4, 45-70 #28, 1894 #94,30-30 #131, 39 #39, 38-55 #39, X7 #47, 60 #120, Shotgun #3, 366-44 #2, 44-40 #37, 22 Mag #006, 356 #?, MR7 #3 pending-Finally an Updated Marlin Dates and Production sheets.-Marlin Model 32-38 Pump Project-LEVERMATIC Catalog pages 1955-69 -This is how I converted a Marlin pump 22, to new type mag tube.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links