Marlin Firearms Forum banner

A pair of 1895s

1K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  lwhecker 
#1 ·
Recently acquired these two 1895 rifles. 40-65 rifle and 45-90 button mag short rifle. Sending for Cody letter. Gun Shotgun Wood Air gun
Gun Shotgun Rifle Firearm Wood

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow. Gotta be a story there.

#3 ·
Lots of swapping involved!

#5 ·
More pics on my sixguns unlimited page on facebook.

#8 ·
1881 is on my short list, once I recover. Unless I find a willing trader.lol

Reactions: Big Al1
#9 ·
Those are very nice. It would be good to get closer up photos for us to see, please. Any old Model 1895 is a good find these days. Historically they didn't sell well and many sat in inventory for a long time. They are heavy. Difficult to balance well on a saddle horse. Only about 5000 were made of which about 1300 were in .40-65. I don't know the ratio for the .45-90 but it may have been less. I have two as well, both in .40-65, and one with a 28" barrel. Both are very good shooters and with the weight of the rifle the recoil is low. I cast bullets 1:20/ tin:lead in 300 grains, two thou. greater than groove diameter, and they certainly speak with authority. I like IMR 4198 for a propellant and I use a light polyester filler just to hold the powder to the back of the case. I initially had some difficulty chambering a case holding a bullet two thousandths of an inch over groove diameter but being of blackpowder vintage these Model 1895's were usually overbored the expectation being that blackpowder would obturate the soft cast bullets to fill the bore which it did. Smokeless won't do that. I solved my problem by having a throating reamer made and I just shaved the throat until the loaded round would chamber easily. Only took about 270 degrees of a 360 degree turn with the reamer to take sufficient metal off. Marvellous rifles. Well done. Enjoy.

#12 ·
Sorry to tell you, but I looked it up when it was on GB.
It was shipped 8/19/96 as a 45-90. But it left the factory with a 26" Oct barrel. More then likely with a full mag.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#14 ·
I know, got it to shoot, not to collect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.