1894 MARLIN COMPARED WITH 1892 WINCHESTER
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Okay guys, say its around 1895 and you are a rancher or homesteader somewhere and need to choose between the Win 1892 and the Marlin 1894, which factors would you consider as you make your choice??

Personally I only have experience with the Winchester and I really like it. I still want to get an original 1894 Marlin someday but I want an 1893 and a 1895 first. Foremost in Marlins favor would be the ease of cleaning and simpler assembly.

I'd sure like to hear you guys weigh in with your thoughts on this. Does any one know how the prices for each rifle compared back then?

Geoff

Wrangler
    Member #

I tend to follow the "fewer parts" line of reasoning. Winchester made some awesome rifles designed by John Browning. Mr. Browning must have liked parts, though. Marlin accomplished the same desired effect with fewer components. I have owned a few 1894 Winchesters and a few 1893 Marlins. I think the Marlin wins any comparison. The 1892 Winchester standard rifle cost $19.50 in the 1893 catalog. The standard 1894 Marlin cost about the same.
    GMC(SW) - USN Retired
    USS Boxer
    USS Missouri
    USS San Diego
    NAS Whidbey Island

ALJ

Member #

Winchester X Marlin

This is a very tough choice as to quality back then, Now the choice is very clear, Marlin is far ahead in material to withstand a rugged life in the wild.
    It does not take long for Win. action to get loose from what i see in the second hand department at my local dealer.

I recently purchased a 1894C Made in 1980 and it is a jewel compared to several Win. 94's in the same racks.

ALJ

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Member #

Lewis Hepburn is often overlooked for the simplicity of his design. He was a genius in figuring out how things worked, and how to make them do the same thing with less parts.
    The 1894 Marlin is a superbly simple design, and based just on that, it would have gotten my vote. But I have to tell you a secret. The 1892 and 1886 Winchesters have always been a secret love for me. I don't own either, and never have. Someday I want one of each, just because I admire the strength, and beauty of these two Browning designed guns.
    Old Marlins, and Single Shot Rifles!
    http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

Member #

Thanks for the replies gentlemen and also a welcome aboard to ALJ,

A question about the wood used in the stocks. Did both the Winchester and the Marlin use the same kind of wood and finish?

Also, I believe the Marlin 1894 receivers were case hardened. Is that any better or worse in this category than the Win 1892?

Remember I am more or less a rookie at all of this. It seems to me from the Win 1892 carbines that I've seen the front sight is part of the barrel band. I don't like this as well as a nice solid dovetail into the barrel like my 1892 Winchester rifle has. Did Marlin have a better front sight arrangement on their 1894 carbines?

I enjoy Mike Venturino's articles and he has stated that he doesn't really include the Win 1892 and the Marlin 1894 as "old west" guns because the west was pretty tame by the time they came along. While this is valid it is also good to remember that alot of areas such as where I live that were plenty wild even into the 1920's and 1930's. So I have a ton of respect for guns even like my 1892 Winchester that was made in 1908 and is a veteran of who knows what, hunting, butchering, and probably a few other tense moments.

Got to get Parley and Hogger and Kaintuck and anybody else of course to weigh in on my question!

Geoff

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Browning was a bit of a genius, and when he wanted a minimal parts gun, he came up with a single shot bolt action rimfire with only 4 moving parts. I am fortunate enough to have one of these in my small collection. The extractor/ejector/loading platform is all one part and works without a hiccup some 106 years after the gun was made. I gotta get pix taken of this action and get them up here....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "If you are under 25, and not a Liberal, you have no heart. If you are over 25, and not a Conservative, you have no brain."

-Winston S. Churchill

Deadeye
    Member #

Having owned a couple of 92's and a couple of 94 marlins at the same time, I can honestly say that the Marlin has a shorter and much smoother lever throw than the 92. At one time I aspired to collect Winchesters until I picked up a Marlin 94 at show about 10 years ago, and I haven't looked back since. Just sold my last 92 at the gunshow in Oct. and bought another 94 Marlin in 25-20. Later, moodyholler
    Hopkins and Allen Falling blocks,single shots and Lever guns.
    Life Member NRA
    Member NMLRA
    Life Member WVMLRA

Banned
    Member #

1894 Marlin compared with 1892 Winchester

Driven Ford and Chevy, dated blondes and brunettes, shot my first deer with a 25-20 Win 1892....I perfer the 1894 Marlin.

93_Marlin

I've had em both, and, at least for me, the '92 gets my vote. Smooooooth ,carries well and I've made some highly interesting shots using 92's. :lol:

93_Marlin

I've had em both, and, at least for me, the '92 gets my vote. Smooooooth ,carries well and I've made some highly interesting shots using 92's. :lol:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links