I need some Glenfield 30A pricing help please
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Member #

I need some Glenfield 30A pricing help please

Hi there, just joined tonight. I need a little help with some pricing. I just dug out a Marlin "Glenfield 30A" that I was given some time ago by a family member. I was told it was of value way back then. I wanted to get it out and clean it and to see what current values were. I could not find one being sold anywhere but then I found this website with all the detail on the 30-30 Marlin models (see web link below). I scrolled down the page and found the "Glenfield 30A" model (listed with a "G" & "GT" model), the specs, and the price of.......are you ready?.........$2,603. This one I have is described to a "T" and is in like new condition with not one sign of wear.

http://www.pmulcahy.com/lever-action...les_marlin.htm

1) Is this pricing accurate?
    2) If not, where did the pricing come from?
    3) If not, what is the gun really worth?

Thanks!
    texas_campers

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: I need some Glenfield 30A pricing help please

Not sure about the WEB site. However the Blue Book Of Gun Values places a price of between $175 and $275. I know that Fair Market Values nowadays are Blue Book times TWO. I recently purchased one in MINT condition and only had to give $300 for it. Mine has the pressed checkering with plain hardwood stocks that look to be Beech wood. As for that Web Link anyone can say something is worth a certain amount if it was up two me I would say all my rifles are worth $1000 dollars a piece. As we all know something is worth whatever someone else is willing to pay for it so in that respect you may very well have a $2000 dollar gun to the right person.

Team 35 Remington Co-Capt'n Contributing Member
    Member #

What year is your Glenfield 30A? I have a 1976 30A that I paid $125 for and a 1983 30A that I paid $170 for. My brother just bought the much more desirable Glenfield 30GT, a 1980 model in mint condition with sling, scope, case and 1 box of 30-30 ammo for $250.

The Glenfields consistently go for $50 - $150 less than the comparable 336 because they have a birch stock and cheaper sights.
    The Older I Get...The Better I was...
    Team 444 Member #175
    Team 35 Member #2
    Team 39 Member #10
    Marlin League #26

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Member #

What would the year matter? I'm not being a smart @ss but the Glenfield 30A was only made from '73 through '83 and the onle that had the decorative presed stock (like mine) was only offered through '82. Is there something else that would make one more valuable over the other in that 9 year span when they were exactly the same??

I guess that when I couldn't find one for sale with a google search. You'd think for a $200 gun that there would be a mess load of them out there. Anyhow, I didn't buy it for resale. I bought it because I was in the market for a 30-30 for pig hunting. Until I saw it in person, as the seller didn't know what it was, I realized this is not a very common gun, in brand new condition with not one sign of wear. It also has the scope mount, Weaver rings, and a Japan Tasco #663S scope (Original one? Not sure).

I guess the value is in the eye of the beholder. I haven't ran into too many 25+ year old rifles (that look new) by a reputable manufacturer, that is only worth $125. Just seems a little odd to me. I figure the value is what it is, and with the Dallas Market Hall Gun & Knife Show going on this weekend I can get a better value of it there. I like to know what every weapon I have is worth, from this 30-30 to my M4A3. Thanks for the responses.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Sounds like your request for a value was a loaded question. No offense, but if you just paid $200 for the Glenfield, then that is what it was worth to you. They are a great gun, and every bit as well made as a regular Marlin marked 336, but with the lesser birch wood stocks. They generally get less than a similar 336, but not a lot less.
    Old Marlins, and Single Shot Rifles!
    http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

Member #

I agree with Marlinman. The Glenfields were made in mass quantities and sold in numerous places. They are LESS valuable than the 336's because of the hardwood stocks. If you can get $300 out of it you are doing rather well.

And you seem to know a lot about them if you know they were only made for 10 years.
    Team 444 Member #175
    Team 35 Member #2
    Team 39 Member #10
    Marlin League #26

Member #

Not so much of a "loaded" question as it was a "general" question in the "Marlin Collectors" forum. I don't collect nor buy / sell guns. I have a very nice personal collection and was in the market for a 30-30 for some pig hunting. Happened across this one and saw that is said "Glenfield 30A". The guy I bought it from just bought it from some employee that was taking to to the pawn shop. He knew less about it than I did. Looked it, saw this breakdown on-line (see web address above) of all the Marlin models and saw this has a value of $2,603. Not sure why someone would have gone to all the trouble to build this site yet to list crazy prices; but hey. I saw prices all over the place on this particular model. With posted prices (further up the thread, again, from people in the "Marlin Collector" forum) from $1,000 to $200 I see that the "Marlin Collectors" seem to be about as confused as I am about the value. LOL, thanks for the assistance. I guess I'll get out there and use the piss out of it seeing how it's worth somewhere between $200-$1000. On the upper end, a $1000 gun is the least of my worries. However, I wasn't going to crawling through jungle terrain with some $2600 rifle that I just picked up for a few hundred bucks. I'm sure you see my point. Thanks again for the input.

texas_campers

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Hello texas_campers – Several months ago another poster used a link to that web page regarding his attempt to identify a .22 caliber Marlin. After helping him, I went back to find out about the crazy pricing and casual mistakes in Marlin history. That whole portion of the web site is built around some earlier “roll playing” type game that I know nothing about. In other words – it’s fictional rather than factual. GoodLuck - RounderRick

Site Contributor Marlin Marksman
    Member #

I would say that your glenfield is alot closer to the $200 range than $1000. Like they said $200 is a far price for one in excellent condition. $2600, must have been looking a something else. 100% blue book of gun values is $220. That means unfired in the original box.
    Team 444 member 151

Member #

Like I said, the 2 I bought were in less than pristine condition, but I paid under $200. I'd go a max of $250 for one that is as new in box. Remember, these were the "inexpensive" versions of the 336 at the time. Like the 336W or A is today.
    Team 444 Member #175
    Team 35 Member #2
    Team 39 Member #10
    Marlin League #26

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links