Looking through my library
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

I was searching for a particular book this afternoon, when I came across a 20 year old copy of the Blue Book of Gun Values stuffed behind some other gun books.
    I got completely distracted from the book I was looking for, and sat down to page through it. I know those of us "elder" gun collectors always talk about how prices have gone up, but this book sure is the proof! The Marlins listed in this old copy were 1/3 or less, than the current Blue Book prices! How about an original model 1895, in 100% for $700! Or a like model 1893 for $600? Maybe a 100% model 1897 for $450?
    Makes me wish I had bought many more collectable Marlins back when they were that cheap! It would have been better than money in the bank!
    Old Marlins, and Single Shot Rifles!
    http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Some of the old gun value books are good for the identification reference, too. I have a mid-70's vintage Bryon's Gun Prices, and it lists several makes & models that no one else does. I never toss any of that stuff. - no doubt why the gun room is such a mess! :? More reference books are better, though!

It's always fun to buy old gun mags at gun shows, too. The prices from the 50s & 60s!!! Live Chauchat machine guns for under 30 bucks! Same for Marlin 1893s! :shock: I carefully look at the want ads, too. The big-time collectors were after stuff like Colt Walkers, Confederate firearms & knives, Revolutionary War-era flint grinders, Colt Patersons & Revolving rifles, Gatling guns... Heck, Wins & SAA Colts weren't all that big of a deal. Well, Wrenchesters STILL ain't that big a deal from where I'm sitting! SW
    Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most.

Member #

I picked up a number of catalogs this morning from a dealer who wanted to dump them cheap. Many 60-present Marlin, some Savage, Win, and Browning. I've been looking through those also for prices. Looks like I'll be culling some of mine from my collection, as these are all new condition! Also got some old American Rifleman from the 1930's, and various other paper. Pretty neat stuff to look at and reference!

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Member #

Glad to see you are still in the thick of things MARLIN. Been down that road -looking at the old prices,kinda heartbreaking.If only we would have known.But the chance is still here,just the amount changes.I used to buy Martini Cadets for $12 each.A buddy rebarreled them,I slapped on new wood,and we sold them for a couple hundred bucks each.Did probably thirty that way.PLEASE don't ask me how many I kept to do now.OH WOE IS ME.I those days I was into Wrenchchesters.Heck everybody learns, some early, some late. Saw your piece on RENO.Great job.Tried to make it but too busy. ONLY three Marlins left,1881 in 45-70,Original 1894 converted to 45 Colt,and a 39A Mountie. More than enough for what I use them for.In case you are wondering who I am.I used to be gutshot on the old site.They tell me I have to change my name so now I am MODOC. Take care and keep up the fine job.

Member #

Hi Gutshot! Where have you been hiding so long? Seems like forever since we've seen you around here, or anywhere for that matter!
    How's life down south? Still running the shop, and buying those militaries?
    Three Marlins! Man you have really reduced your collection!

Member #

Well the truth is,I tried to join thie site way back and was told someone else had used the name GUTSHOT.Thinking I had screwed up again,spent a couple of hours trying to sort out the mess that I assumed I had caused.Failing to do that I threw up my hands and LEFT.never to return until I got so darn lonely I had to try it again.Well now you know the REST OF THE STORY.
    Hey yeah,still have the shop in the striving city of WONDER.Almost called it quits this year but so many folks urged me to stay that it was decided.So here we go again.
    My collections all are feeling lonely down to about sixty in all.I got thinking about when it is time to meet my maker and with all my junk , it will probably end up in the trash due to my family's lack of knowledge. So I figured I had better get what I can for it now. Thinking about one of the late 90s diesel Dodge pickups.The new ones leave me cold as they resemble space ships but the earlier ones still looked like pickups.
    Well old timer,I'll be awatching and reading your post and if I know anything about your subject,doubtful,I'll put in my 2 cents worth.seeya

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

modoc,

I take well to heart your concern that your family will know little of your collection when you are no longer able to enjoy it. I have a list (triple redundant) of everything with serial numbers and a brief description of the article, including its approximate worth. In the safe deposit box is detailed instructions of going about the auction process.

Before my closest friend passed away, he requested I assist his brother & mother in disposing of his Colt, Ruger and assorted other firearms collection. I did so, and the first thing I noticed was that they had listed a Colt-Burgess lever action as a '73 win. :shock: I straightened that out and did other things like have them auction the hi-cap mags separately from the firearms they were for. There were some other things they did not know at all about & I helped them with those, too.

THEN they wanted me to attend the auction & shill for them. He** NO! said I!! My committment had been fulfilled to my friend, and I did not attend the auction, as it would have been too much for me to bear to see my friend's stuff scatter to the four corners of the world.

I guess that's a long-winded way of saying it doesn't take much to put together some information for your heirs. Don't hesitate to ask for a friend's help, as a genuine friend will gladly assist you. SW

Deadeye
    Member #

yeah! i'll help.......

:shock: i have it stright from mm93's war dept that 'hogger and I will sort thru SOMEBODY'S stuff someday! she said we could just take care of everything! sooo....never to worry there will be always somebody ready to help out!
    as for me....i bought a safe the same size as me AND my rifles!.......ahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa :roll:
    ike a one eyed tom cat.....

Member #

Be careful what you joke about Kaintuck! I might just take you up on it! I thought it would be no big deal to take care of my good friend's firearms estate, but when you see things going away, and you remember how excited that person was to find them, it's not much fun.
    Next time I believe I'll stay a bit more distant to the actual sales.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

I actually have a list of a few things that will go to certain people when I throttle out for that great roundhouse in the sky. In the end, the stuff doesn't mean anything, but the friends do. After my close friend passed away, I thought long & hard for many days about the necessity of having 'stuff'.

Well, having stuff is cool. Unless you're a religious fanatic, you will always have stuff, so you should just as well have GOOD stuff that will benefit someone else when you're not around to enjoy it anymore. Taking the do-gooder angle really isn't the way to go, either, since the money most likely won't be spent the way you would have wanted & it seems like charitable contributions are getting embezzled all the time anyway. I'm insured to the hilt, so I figure I'd just as well poop away some of my money on stuff that will appreciate - and that is fun to play with!!

I firmly believe each of us should have a plan in place - written down & left where it can be found. ( not buried in a grave marked unk... un... "That's unknown, Tuco. Now dig!!") SW

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links