Buyer beware, another put together
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sidewinder
    Member #

Gunbroker number 67594374. Told the seller this thing did NOT have a Marlin buttplate on it, but he just emailed me back a real nasty answer. I like the wood putty near the tang too, probably had to do that when they hammered the stock on. Oh well, another piece of junk that will probably bring someone's good money :roll:

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

The "Dummy With Money" is getting to be quite the market niche... with plenty of shady sellers willing to feed their buying frenzy. :roll: SW
    Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most.

Sidewinder
    Member #

I just wish sellers would be more honest when something is obviously wrong on a gun. I am so tired of hearing "special order" used to cover stuff stuck on a Marlin 50 years after it was made. I think there is a lot of people out there looking to invest in guns who are just starting out and really getting took. Seems more of that now than in the past, but maybe its just my opinion.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

It's a sure sign the eonomy ain't as bad as the doom & gloom folks would have you believe. When I take a train to the coal mines, we stay over in the 'barracks' in Bill, Wyo. I was watching an auto channel the other night & one of the auto auctions was on. KRIKEY!!! People were paying six figures for cars I thought were fairly common!

Same thing with guns... on the auctions, we've all been seeing people pay prices we never thought possible. Now that has extended to guns that are not even legit. So when the money comes out, some of the sellers are not going to be very honest about what they are selling.

Hey! Maybe I can cash in on this by writing ad copy for some of this stuff... like the badly D&T '97 I just saw & posted about...

"For Sale: Teddy Rooseveldt's PERSONAL Marlin Model '97. This historic arm has previously been fitted with the very FIRST J. Unertl scope. A 24 inch prototype in 24 power that has unfortunately been sold by the previous owner.

I have it on the best authority this small rifle was used in Africa and India to despatch game TR shot with his 22 Sav Hipower or 405 Win. He also wing-shot various birds for the table and for taxidermy, some of which yet are upon display in the TR memorial museum... with proper credit given to this wonderful little rifle.

The buyer of the scope also persuaded the previous owner to part with the Boone & Crockett Warthog ivories that formerly adorned the stock. Which were held in place at the location we now see a screw. With the addition of two aftermarket warthog tusks, it would then be nearly restored to its former glory.

The former owner assured me in writing the holes we see in the receiver for the Unertl scope were made with the very FIRST Black & Decker hand drill! So you can begin to imagine the deep history involved here!

Due to my Maiden Aunt's compelling medical circumstances, I am very reluctantly forced to liquidate this handful of history for the BIN of a MEASLEY $4008.26 The cost of my Aunt's nasal reconstruction surgery... seems the unfortunate lady had been prying into a neighbor's affairs a bit too vigorously... but that sad tale is best left untold as it invariably brings tears into every listeners' eyes!

So bid generously and bid often! An opportunity like this may not present itself again in your lifetime!

Remember Teddy's famous words: "Speak softly and carry a Marlin Model '97 with Unertl scope and warthog ivories!!" He said that! Really!!"

(I would also have the present owner have the epithet "BULLY!!" carved into the stock!)

Now to sell my 79 Dodge Ramcharger! :P SW
    Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Buttplate looks identical to the factory buttplate on my Win 52B! Stock was off a Winchester also, as it has a slightly wider tang area where they met the receiver, and by coincidence where this 1894 has some wood filler! :shock:
    I see the seller says it's in the rare ".38 colt" caliber too! WOW! That's got to be a super rare caliber for a 1894 Marlin! :shock: :shock:
    And don't forget there were hardly any 1891's made in half octagon, so that must make a half octagon 1894 even rarer!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Hogger,
    You've got no chance of outdoing this guy when it comes to writing ad print! Besides, everyone knows that 1897 was FACTORY d&t for that Unertl scope!
    Old Marlins, and Single Shot Rifles!
    http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

Banned
    Member #

You see all kinds of butt plates on Marlins. I seem to recall someone with a trapdoor butt plate on a Marlin. Probably off a Whitney-Kennedy.

Site Contributor & Team 444 Co-Captain Super Moderator
    Member #

See now, this is why I joined M.O., I wouldn't know a thing about that rifle except it looks alright to me ops: I'm glad to be able to tapped into some of the most knowledgable(sp?) people around. When I have a question about something I try to get pics for all of you to eyeball and pick at.... saves me money and diappointment Thanks for being around guys. Mr. fixit
    TO ARMS!!
    Team 444 Co-Captain
    Member #168 1994 444SS
    "The only chance you get to do it right....is the first time."

There are Rules...Read Them!! CYA.....Cover your ass!
    https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/s...ite-rules.html

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Bravo, NebrHogger!
    Have you ever considered a second career as a copywriter?

Wrangler
    Member #

What do you guys think of this one...
    You can tell the saddle ring has been replaced. Has the receiever been buffed a bit? More importantly do you think the engraving is a bit to sloppy to be factory? It very well could be factory, but I wondered what you thought about the inconsistancy of size and alignment of the triangles
    in the border. The pictures aren't that good. I didn't ask the seller for the s/n to check. Don't want to offend anyone

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=67897681
    Darin

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Between the tangs, and butt-plate screws, that poor old compass probly can't decide which way is N....

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    "If you are under 25, and not a Liberal, you have no heart. If you are over 25, and not a Conservative, you have no brain."

-Winston S. Churchill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links