Marlin "Texan" in .30-30?

Sidewinder
    Member #

I just purchased a 336 that I thought was a Texan but maybe not. It has a 20" barrel and full length magazine tube, straight, squared-off lever, "gold" trigger and a "gold" saddle ring on the left rear of the receiver. The serial number is 71 196XXX but the stamping on the barrel clearly states, "The Marlin Firearms Corp., New Haven, CONN, USA, Est 1870 Micro Groove Barrel, cal .30-30 WIN" I bought this rifle to have Marlin do a .30-30 Cowboy conversion on but, if anyone thinks this is too valuable to do this, let me know.
    Rifles are what you fight with. Handguns, however, are best employed to fight your way to a rifle." - Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Master rifleman,

It sounds very much like a Texan to me.

The squared lever was introduced in 1971, and the gold-appearing brass saddle ring was discontinued in that year, so both could be legitimately found on your 336. The 20" bbl is also correct.

There were probably not a lot of Texans made with both the squared lever AND a saddle ring since that would only have happened in 1971 only. Also, the portion of the 336 production given over to the Texan model was very likely not that large, either.

I believe over half of collectibility is in the perception of same, so it would be tough to say just how collectible it is. There might be a few dedicated Texan collectors out there, but I'm guessing their number to be fairly small. Well-used Texans aren't all that tough to find, so I'd leave the one you have as is if it were mine.

If I hadn't just bought two rifles and depleted my fun account, I'd send you a PM. SW
    Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most.

Sidewinder
    Member #

NebrHogger - Thanks for the reply, I did forget to put in my post that the Model number simply says 336 not 336T. Does this disqualify it as a Texan?
    Rifles are what you fight with. Handguns, however, are best employed to fight your way to a rifle." - Clint Smith, Thunder Ranch

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Master Rifleman,

Not necessarily. Small glitches like this crop up now & again and in this case, it adds a bit more flavor to your 336. It's quite interesting. SW
    Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most.

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Sounds like my old Texan that I unfortunatley let get away several years ago to a relative. It was the only one I'd ever seen with the squared lever and gold saddle ring. Although best as I remember the barrel was stamped 336T. Ol' cuz still has it and it's his #1 deer rifle.
    Marlins in 44-40. Whacking varmits since 1888

Team 44-40
    Team 1894

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links