Favorite Marlin in your Collection
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree440Likes

Thread: Favorite Marlin in your Collection

Member #

Hey guys,
    What's your favorite Marlin in your collection. Pic's would be nice. Also if there is any history behind them.
    Mine is a Mod. 92 .32 cal. that is a real beauty after I cleaned her up last week after buying it.
    Other is a Mod. 39A DOM 1939 99.5+ condition. I know I don't have any pics but am working on down loading my digital here real soon.
    Both of these rifles were in collections for many, many years.

Deadeye
    Member #

my favorite?

the 25-20 marlin, i have wanted one for years, shoots flat, reloadscheap, and doesn't kick!
    pic is in my avatar!
    ike a one eyed tom cat.....

Sidewinder
    Member #

Re: Favorite Marlin in your Collection

Askel

What do you think about this one?? Look familiar?

DG

Quote Originally Posted by Askel
    Hey guys,
    What's your favorite Marlin in your collection. Pic's would be nice. Also if there is any history behind them.
    Mine is a Mod. 92 .32 cal. that is a real beauty after I cleaned her up last week after buying it.
    Other is a Mod. 39A DOM 1939 99.5+ condition. I know I don't have any pics but am working on down loading my digital here real soon.
    Both of these rifles were in collections for many, many years.
    You know a guy's time is worth something unless your on welfare"

"Stupidity can be corrected"

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Member #

Hey smoke810, how the heck are you? You must have really liked her. She's sitting next to me right now. I must say I have gotten quite a few compliments on her when I put it on display at the local gunshows. I know you have some real beauties too. Appreciate you putting that pic out there for me as I have yet to load this digital camera on to the PC.
    Have you added anything to your collection lately?

Sidewinder
    Member #

Askel

I bought another Stevens 414 Armory that is a nice one, not sure whether you have seen it or not. It's in almost "Mint" condition. I got a Winchester model 52B at the gun show two weeks ago with a Leupold 36X scope for a really great price. Sold the scope for what I paid for both almost. How are things in Caterpillar country?

DG
    Quote Originally Posted by Askel
    Hey smoke810, how the heck are you? You must have really liked her. She's sitting next to me right now. I must say I have gotten quite a few compliments on her when I put it on display at the local gunshows. I know you have some real beauties too. Appreciate you putting that pic out there for me as I have yet to load this digital camera on to the PC.
    Have you added anything to your collection lately?
    gunscrewguy and KeystoneFlyer like this.
    You know a guy's time is worth something unless your on welfare"

"Stupidity can be corrected"

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Here's my favorite. I know some of you guys from the old MT site may remember the story behind it. It is an 1881 Marlin Schuetzen rifle. It was built by Ithaca legend Emil Flues, (Ithaca Flues model shotgun) It is a very early example of Flues' work, and was done shortly after he completed his apprenticeship, and joined with another gunsmith named Wrege, in Bay City, Michigan. Flues was about 18 years old when he built this rifle for another member of the Schuetzen club that they belonged to. Flues was secretary of the club, and much of his business was building single shot Schuetzen rifles for other club members. This rifle belonged to a Judge named Harriman, and how it found it's way out to Oregon is unknown. I spent over 18 months tracking down the history of this gun, and Emil Flues, after finding the 1881 in a barrel of "clunker" guns at a local shop that was going out of business. It had a price tag of a whopping $400 on it. Couldn't get my wallet out fast enough!

Last edited by marlinman93; 01-19-2019 at 08:00 PM.
    Old Marlins, and Single Shot Rifles!
    http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

Wrangler
    Member #

marlinman93,

Absolutely beautiful rifle! My goodness!
    Montana 45 likes this.
    Have you shouldered your Marlin today?

Member #

I'll second that absolutely beautiful rifle mm93. Great story behind it too. You hear about stuff like that happening every once in awhile. Perseverence and some luck will do it though.
    smoke810, everything is jake here in the land of the yellow god, caterpillar. Good chance they may be going on strike here in the next couple of weeks.
    Glad I don't work there.
    I know you had bought a 414 Armory but didn't know you had two. The pic. of the one about a month ago was an outstanding looking rifle. Like brand spanking new. Sounds like you have been busy doing some buying. The last I bought was from a guys collection about 2 weeks ago. Marlin Mod. 92 .32 cal. and a Model 1893 TD 30/30. Both nice pieces especially the mod. 92. I had neither one in the collection and can always upgrade.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Thank you Leverpuller, and Askel. Emil Flues built a lot of very nice guns. A number of them were single shots, based on Ballards, a few were 1885 Winchesters, and Stevens, and a great number were hand built shotguns! Flues did all the work on his guns, from the building of receivers, to bluing, casehardening, woodwork, and elaborate engraving.
    Early in his career he simply modifed other makers guns, as this 1881 is. The frame was casehardened, and the checkering is 28 lpi, with all the screw heads engraved, but no other engraving.
    I've seen several examples of his engraving done in the 20's, through 40's, and it is up there with the finest masters! Flues lived to about 90, and died in 1949.
    Old Marlins, and Single Shot Rifles!
    http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/

Member #

mm93,
    Any idea as to when he may have done the work on your 1881? Gosh, I just can't believe to find such a piece of art and to me it is art in a garbage can. Go figure.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links