Archery???? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Archery????

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    That is something I need to do, now that I have found the spine I need is to get some bare shafts for tuning. I need to get some more shafts anyway, so it will be soon.

I put in for a moose tag this year so I am not planning on hunting with my recurve, I will be hunting elk and deer with my compound in Sept, then moose with the same bow in Oct and if still not gotten one, Nov will be rifle, pending the weather, if not too cold will still go after it with my bow. Should be for a good season if I get drawn and black bear runs from Sept through Oct. I can hunt all the above including either sex whitetails all at the same time.
    Buffalo Jake likes this.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Levergun View Post
    The challenge is to come up with what you speak of and be able to easily accommodate broad heads.

Any input is helpful. Good luck on the elk hunt, you will LOVE it!!!

I am going out for 2 weeks this year, ground blind, tree stand and a lot of hiking! 4.5 months left to be in shape for it. WOW!
    You would probably have to buy/get a hip quiver that already has the broadhead plastic bucket/cup(?) piece with the hard foam in it, and then take that off together with the rubber strip of arrow holders too and make the rest out of leather. Although I did own a hip quiver once that the broadhead foam was just surrounded with a thicker cloth-like type material(nylon?) instead of the plastic. Only problem with it was the back edge of broadheads sometimes caught on the cloth when removing an arrow; didn't hold it's shape the greatest either over time. A stiff and thick piece of leather might work better than that cloth stuff though? Anyway, just a thought... and the rest of it might help you make a pattern for the leather etc...?

You bet we will, and have hunted Elk here for some 30 years now; it's just one my son's first try at it with a bow! He has always used rifles before... the bow is new to him, he has a lot to learn, ha!

Good luck to you...
    "Measure twice, cut once"... you can apply that to much in life.

Team 35 rem #483
    Team 30-30 #876
    Team Shotgun #2
    Team 60 (Model 75) #173
    Team 444 #592
    Team Old Pharts #193
    The Marlin League #160
    Team Winchester #36 ~ Team Captain
    Team Rossi #11
    Team BROWNING #1 ~ Team Captain
    Teams~ Glenfied #13, Wheelguns #36, Semi-Auto #21, Mitchell #8

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I think I would prefer a hip riding quiver that uses a shoulder strap so that it could be removed when on stand or slide behind the back when hunting through the woods.

Something like this from 3 Rivers:
    http://www.3riversarchery.com/latigo...ng-quiver.html
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 25/20Marlin; 04-21-2017 at 02:19 PM.
    AZsparrow likes this.
    Old men with Garands do not panic.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 25/20Marlin View Post
    I think I would prefer a hip riding quiver that uses a shoulder strap so that it could be removed when on stand or slide behind the back when hunting through the woods.

Something like this from 3 Rivers:
    Latigo Side Stalking Quiver
    I know what you mean and for info, that's a big part of the reason I would modify my hip quivers to be able to remove it fast/easily without having to undo my belt, and the angle of the quiver/arrows when wearing for better hunting use, etc. I'd replace/modify the belt loop so it would slip under and around my belt securing with velcro patches I added, as well as replace/modified the thigh strap with quick-disconnect type buckles. If in a tree stand I'd use a bungee cord to secure the quiver to the tree trunk for easy access etc.; or remove and keep it handy if on the ground/blind and static. Moving through stuff isn't that hard after awhile, the quiver is very secure to your leg and not flopping around so to say, and you kind of develop a second nature to keep from hanging up on bushes or making any noise and all that stuff. Perhaps the hardest thing about using a hip quiver is when stalking and then squatting/kneeling down on one foot so to say... if pivoting around at all the arrows/fletchings move with you too and can hit stuff behind you (noise) if not aware/careful what you're doing in that position; but again you get used to how to move, avoid that situation, etc., all pretty quick.
    I just like a 'clean bow' without all the quiver attachments etc., and think it also helps minimize the visual movement for game to see if raising your bow, or many other types of activity. Not to mention windy days when the quiver full of arrows on a bow kinda' acts like 'a sail' catching that air and sometimes making it harder to keep the sight pin on that sweet spot... to me anyway, ha! Years before, I had also tried using a back type quiver w/shoulder strap for a season, but had to modify that too to keep arrows from clanking together and securing broadheads better, but it soon became apparent to me it was somewhat impractical to use for hunting, in my case anyway; especially while any type stalking activity, and/or needing another quick arrow 'stealthily' if you know what I mean.
    Well, babbled on enough here I guess lol, and good luck to you...
    "Measure twice, cut once"... you can apply that to much in life.

Team 35 rem #483
    Team 30-30 #876
    Team Shotgun #2
    Team 60 (Model 75) #173
    Team 444 #592
    Team Old Pharts #193
    The Marlin League #160
    Team Winchester #36 ~ Team Captain
    Team Rossi #11
    Team BROWNING #1 ~ Team Captain
    Teams~ Glenfied #13, Wheelguns #36, Semi-Auto #21, Mitchell #8

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Archery .............Hunting at it`s best.
    The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I currently prefer having my arrows on a bow quiver. It is fast and quiet. I just had some requests for a hip quiver, so thanks for all the input, all good foods for thought.

Thanks!
    AZsparrow likes this.

El Capitan of Teams 32 Special, 1894 and 450 Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Older post, but I am a traditional bowhunter as you can tell by my nickname. I still have my Matthews Switchback XT, but I enjoy my reflex / deflex longbow more. So light to carry & no sights! Shooting a compound with sights is like hunting in thick brush with a rifle sporting a high power scope. Traditional is just look, draw & release the stick. Like throwing a ball.

I have a 4 arrow quiver on it that's leather & rattler skin.
    vt4ster, kraynky and smoke-eater like this.
    Team 1894 -Mash Here - Team 32 Special - Mash Here
    Team 450 Marlin - - Mash Here

Teams 1894, 45-70, 35, 444, 30-30, 32Spl, Win, Wheelguns & Bangin' Blackhawks

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I have been shooting a bow since 1976. Have taken quite a few Whitetails over the years. Still do a little with compounds and have enjoyed it. I still have my 1st Browning and PSE bows.
    Life Member-NRA
    Founders Club Member-Whittington Center
    Second Amendment Foundation~ Life Member
    Marlin 444 Team Member# 635

Deadeye
    Member #
    I've been in love with archery since passing my bowhunters safety course in 1981. Started with a compound, but soon was bitten by the traditional bug, both recurves and longbows, including a Fred Asbell Bighorn. I find that now, at age 61, with surgery scars on both shoulders, I'm best served with a compound pulling a measly 47 lbs. I did try one season with a crossbow, but it just didn't feel like archery to me.
    kraynky and olmarlin like this.
    Team 45-70 #1860
    NRA
    United Bowhunters of N.J.
    Salem County Sportsmens Club
    Life Member, Past Chief Harrisonville Fire Co.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    As long as you get out and have fun, that is what matters! Keep up the good work.
    kraynky likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links