Archery???? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Archery????

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Bowhunting was my passion for quite a number of years, and actually rarely hunted with a rifle. Now with my older age and disabilities, I've pretty much gone back to rifles... just not the 'mountain goat' I used to be, LOL! My son drew an archery Bull Elk tag here this year, his first, so looks like my compound(Mathews) is going to see some more action this year though.
    Speaking of quivers, I always preferred and used a hip-quiver myself, but hard to find one that didn't have to be modified in some manner or another to work well for my needs. So that is what I would do, modify them so I wouldn't have to undo my belt to put-on/remove, add angle adjustments, better thigh straps, etc. Have you given them any thought?
    Btw, my first Turkey ever was taken was with a bow... Good luck to you...
    M700 likes this.
    "Measure twice, cut once"... you can apply that to much in life.

Team 35 rem #483
    Team 30-30 #876
    Team Shotgun #2
    Team 60 (Model 75) #173
    Team 444 #592
    Team Old Pharts #193
    The Marlin League #160
    Team Winchester #36 ~ Team Captain
    Team Rossi #11
    Team BROWNING #1 ~ Team Captain
    Teams~ Glenfied #13, Wheelguns #36, Semi-Auto #21, Mitchell #8

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    As a teenager I owned a longbow, nothing complex, Yew I think. Used to enjoy shooting it, targets only. Never hunted with a bow but enjoyed shooting it a lot. The lure of the firearm and the motorbike took over and it was put aside...
    M700 likes this.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by AZsparrow View Post
    Bowhunting was my passion for quite a number of years, and actually rarely hunted with a rifle. Now with my older age and disabilities, I've pretty much gone back to rifles... just not the 'mountain goat' I used to be, LOL! My son drew an archery Bull Elk tag here this year, his first, so looks like my compound(Mathews) is going to see some more action this year though.
    Speaking of quivers, I always preferred and used a hip-quiver myself, but hard to find one that didn't have to be modified in some manner or another to work well for my needs. So that is what I would do, modify them so I wouldn't have to undo my belt to put-on/remove, add angle adjustments, better thigh straps, etc. Have you given them any thought?
    Btw, my first Turkey ever was taken was with a bow... Good luck to you...
    The challenge is to come up with what you speak of and be able to easily accommodate broad heads.

Any input is helpful. Good luck on the elk hunt, you will LOVE it!!!

I am going out for 2 weeks this year, ground blind, tree stand and a lot of hiking! 4.5 months left to be in shape for it. WOW!
    M700 and Buffalo Jake like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by tranteruk View Post
    As a teenager I owned a longbow, nothing complex, Yew I think. Used to enjoy shooting it, targets only. Never hunted with a bow but enjoyed shooting it a lot. The lure of the firearm and the motorbike took over and it was put aside...
    Every time I pull out my M/L's and traditional gear I remember how much fun I have when I use them. Don't let them slide, practice with them all and have fun!
    Buffalo Jake likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by kraynky View Post
    I used to hunt with a 60 lb Kentuckian Halfbreed (half recurve/half longbow), but a shoulder starting acting up on me from years of abuse working in my younger years. I can manage a 40-45 lb recurve now, and have an older Mathews compound I haven't pulled back in probably 6-7 years. However I love shooting a bow! Especially using a recurve shooting flu flu's while chasing milk jugs and such around the yard!

I shoot with a tab and haven't used an armguard in years, but I am interested in seeing your leather work!
    Flu flu's are neat but really slow. the way I understand them was that the noise they make flying through the air makes the deer stand still listen for it and then they hit. Traditional archery is more tuned towards up close and personal, 30 yards or less. Now that is a hunter that can do that on a whitetail.
    M700 and kraynky like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Gradually getting back into it. I never completely abandoned archery, but it sure did slide way down on my list of priorities. Got out with the recurve last year, for deer, but no luck. Hoping to do better with it this year.

Guy

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    The only experience I have with bows was watching a Hmong tribesman use one.
    He was deadly accurate with it out to about 75 yards.
    M700 and turbobug like this.
    My Avatar is in Honor of my Great-Great Grandfather, Brig/Gen Dudley M. DuBose.
    Flag is the Sole surviving Battle Flag of the 15th Ga Infantry Regt..
    Commandant (Col.) 1861-63

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by M700 View Post
    Gradually getting back into it. I never completely abandoned archery, but it sure did slide way down on my list of priorities. Got out with the recurve last year, for deer, but no luck. Hoping to do better with it this year.

Guy
    Well I am not bad with my recurves but I shot my first 3D tournament last week with one and I am not sure I will hunt with mine yet unless I limit myself to 20 yards. Boy was that humbling. The compound bow is much more accurate and faster and I would take an elk at 40 yards no problem, but not with traditional gear.
    M700 and Buffalo Jake like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Bottom line is for me, the last thing I want to do is wound an animal and then not be able to find it.
    M700, Buffalo Jake and alawrence like this.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    nice bare shaft grouping!! I've been an archer since I was 6yrs old! still shoot!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links