Lining in holsters....I've said this for years!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Lining in holsters....I've said this for years!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Lining in holsters....I've said this for years!

This is a statement form a friend of mine and a holster maker up in Alaska, Some of you might even own one of his holsters, Rob Leahy, Owner of Simply Rugged Holsters. www.simplyrugged.com

Lining for holsters:

I no longer offer lining as I have come to the conclusion that it is a waste of my time & your money. I have yet to find a lining (No mater the holster maker) that does prevent wear to the finish, and in fact some of the softer linings actually accelerate wear by retaining grit. Skeeter Skelton wrote about this 40 years ago and nothing that I see has changed.

The other part of this is that the silicone treated vegetable tanned flesh side of leather is pretty easy on the gun's finish as it is.

A properly fitted holster will go farther towards preventing excessive finish wear than any lining.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Re: Lining in holsters....I've said this for years!

I can't agree more! I have been pounding cowhide for a while now and built lots of holsters for CAS and hunters. I always recommend that you don't waste the time and money of lining. The only possible exception is to use two relatively light weight veg tan, 6-8oz back to back so that one smooth side will be next to the weapon. It looks a little better but won't help the "Wear" issue and dirt in the gun bucket.

The other thing is that the holser is NOT a storage bag for your gun. When you come out of the field, take the guns and clean them and clean the leather and hang it up....put the guns in the safe!

Rap Scallion Live Oak Texas
    chad03 likes this.
    Rap Scallion
    SASS#54735
    Live Oak Texas
    NRA,TSRA,SASS
    USMC 1959-1970

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Thanks for the input Rap,

So true....Many guys that are claming a lined holster are doing just that, two pieces of 5-6oz leather together. This also makes the holster thicker and larger than need be. Instead of having a 8-9 or 9-10 oz holster, now you have a 10-12oz holster. This just adds more weight, stifness and doesn't do anything for resticting wear on the blueing.

Are you still banging leather Rap? Do you have a website?
    Lever

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

PS,
    Welcome to Marlin owners Rap!!!! Make yourself at home!

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Thanks for the welcome. I am a regular on several other gun sites, mostly CAS and gunsmithing. I just got a 1895 CS rifle in 45-70, thanks to George W giving me some of my money back! My part to stimulate the economy! So I'll be asking some Marlin specific questions along the line. I am also a big NEF/H&R fan and have more than my share of the single shots!

I am still making CAS Cowboy and hunting leather. Mostly for friends and word of mouth customers, I do projects for other CAS shooters and donate items to my club shoots. Nothing professional, don't want to spoil a good hobby! Most of my leather crafting is self taught and learning from experience.......I have cut out several left handed holsters by accident, but then I have several lefty friends!

I'm a Marine Viet Nam Vet and am retired fully now.......way too much time on my hands to play! I am a SASS, NRA, TSRA member!

Rap Scallion
    Live Oak Texas
    Rap Scallion
    SASS#54735
    Live Oak Texas
    NRA,TSRA,SASS
    USMC 1959-1970

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Well in that case....Thank-you for serving Rap!

Hey...If you would like to show off some of your work on my forum, I have no problem with that! Post as many pictures as you like. I would like to see some of your work.

As far as a lefty, you are not alone. I do leather full time and I work on many orders all at the same time. One time I was making a couple of holsters and one was left and one was a cross draw. So they are both worn on the left side and I cut out the holsters and made them and then realized both holsters were on the left side. So I put the cross draw aside and cut it out opposite and re-made it when I realized that I did not make a mistake at all....Just a brain Fart! I sold the left hand cross draw on ebay for $50 bucks! Got good advertizing from it too and sold more items from that sale! It is all good!
    bounce likes this.

Tinhorn
    Member #

WELCOME HOME RAP SCALLION ! ! Also welcome to the Forum. It amazes me that people still order lined holsters in spite of what is known about them. Shouldn't be surprised I guess---people are still smokin' cigarettes too. one eye joe Ssg, US ARMY Viet Nam 1968, 1969 Life Member DAV, VFW, NRA Certified Instructor
    SSG. US ARMY Republic of Viet Nam 1968-1969 Life Member DAV, VFW, NRA Certified Instructor.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

i have had several of Rob's holsters, and if the man says it, i believe it! he knows his stuff! kinda like you Lever!
    TEAM 30/30 ~ Member #71
    TEAM 39 ~ Member #80
    TEAM 1894 ~ Member #90
    TEAM 444 ~ Member #251
    TEAM 35 ~ Member #262

Marlin Marksman
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Joe S.
    i have had several of Rob's holsters, and if the man says it, i believe it! he knows his stuff! kinda like you Lever!
    Rob and I work together on promoting each others work. I do different type things than him and vice versa. I have gotten alot of info from Rob and he knows alot about handguns. He does alot of holsters. I most do holsters for cowboy shooters and hunters and alot of those are big caliber revolvers. I do also CCW stuff and pistol stuff, just not nearly as much as Rob or my hunting and cowboy stuff.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

I've bought his pocket holster for a little auto I had, one for an s&w 357, s&w 44, my dan wesson 357 and my 1911. Trying to build up my collection. Its good stuff and can be as addictive as buying the guns themselves. Need to hold off tho cause I need some stuff from you now. My leverguns are getting jealous!
    TEAM 30/30 ~ Member #71
    TEAM 39 ~ Member #80
    TEAM 1894 ~ Member #90
    TEAM 444 ~ Member #251
    TEAM 35 ~ Member #262

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links