My wife gifted me a set of Arkansas oil stones
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: My wife gifted me a set of Arkansas oil stones

Super Moderator
    Member #

My wife gifted me a set of Arkansas oil stones

cajun56, 336 Fan, turbobug and 7 others like this.
    "The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
    George Orwell

Platinum Poster
    Member #
    I have the Smith's sharpening stones. They are Arkansas stones. My stone is 8" long in a box.

Let us know how you like your stones.

ca'jun56
    Sambane and BubbaJon like this.
    Lache Pas La Patate
    Old Phart # 138
    Team .32 Special
    Team Winchester # 118
    Team Marlin .35 # 780

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Looks nice to me. I have a diamond "pocket" sharperner. 'Bout time for me to get a couple more just in case a reckoning occurs one day.
    MoneyMontana, Sambane and cajun56 like this.
    My avatar is in Honor of my Great Grandfather , Corporal J.M. Johnston , who fought for the Confederate 36th Regiment , Company H , Heavy Artillery & who was captured by the Union at Fort Fisher, NC on Jan. 15 1865 at @ 10:00PM.

God, Guns, and Guts Made America Free.

At Any Cost Keep All Three !

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I hadn't heard of "Preyda" brand before, but the website seemed informative. I'd guess that your wife gave you a nice and useful gift.

Guy

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by M700 View Post
    I hadn't heard of "Preyda" brand before, but the website seemed informative. I'd guess that your wife gave you a nice and useful gift.

Guy
    Found out on a knife forum that they bought the largest mine/producer in Arkansas. So they really are Arkansas stones.
    A lot of fakes out there. I had two and made the mistake of bumping my hard stone off the bench - shattered like glass.
    My old oil stone from my dad has simply gotten clogged over the years. Not sure how to clean it but it won't sharpen anymore plus it was only special in that it belonged to him.
    So I've been using the Ken Onion Worksharp which does a credible job but y'know, sometimes it's just good to sit there and strop steel.
    Brings back memories of my granddad showing me how. I was never as good as he was tho - dang he could sharpen a knife!
    cajun56, M700, turbobug and 1 others like this.
    "The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
    George Orwell

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by MarlinManCB45/70 View Post
    Looks nice to me. I have a diamond "pocket" sharperner. 'Bout time for me to get a couple more just in case a reckoning occurs one day.
    I have a set - not really a fan as the ones I have (Smith's) tend to scratch the steel pretty deep. Hard to get a final polished sharp edge. I have some files made like the diamond hones and same story.
    Now what I have used that I did like was the ceramic sticks. Problem with those is they load up and then won't sharpen. They say to just wash them but it's never worked for me.
    I also like the Smith's system with the blade clamp and the stones on a rod that keeps the proper angle. My only issue with those is it's hard to follow the curve so you end up with a diagonal cut instead of straight on.
    George Orwell

Super Moderator
    Member #
    I know there's a couple of other folks on her that make knives - what do y'all use?
    turbobug likes this.
    George Orwell

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by cajun56 View Post
    I have the Smith's sharpening stones. They are Arkansas stones. My stone is 8" long in a box.
    Let us know how you like your stones.
    ca'jun56
    I will! Debating right now whether to first lap them or not.
    I think I'll just start using them and let them get "seasoned" by actual use.
    Gareth Holland likes this.
    George Orwell

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Yup, my dad could put a edge on a knife that would scare you, still have one that he passed down, that will shave your arm. Me, I can kill the edge on a good knife!! I finally gave up and bought the Smith system, where you clamp a attachment on the blade that keeps the angle correct on the blade, bought the fine diamond stone along with the regular set, so I can at least cut something. T Rex
    BubbaJon and Bobshouse like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have a couple Smith's stones but never heard of Preyda. Looks like a credible company and the product looks good. Agree on stropping steel on a stone. Can be quite cathartic. I think the Mrs. did a great thing there. Let us know how well they work. As for your father's stone I have scrubbed mine in soap and water using a good scrub brush or whatever is necessary to get the steel out of the pores.
    V
    bc069 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links