My wife gifted me a set of Arkansas oil stones - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: My wife gifted me a set of Arkansas oil stones

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaJon View Post
    Actually Arkansas stones are meant to be used with oil.
    You *can* use them with water but whichever one you start with you have to stick with it.
    I've always preferred oil - my granddad spit on his.
    Actually I used oil most of my life. My favorite was a Browning label in a cedar case. It is about 2 1/2 x 8 with Arkansas hard on one side and Ouachita medium on the other. It came with a bottle of oil. I never owned but always wanted the one in a lot of butcher shops. It was about 6 in wide and 18 long laying in a tank of oil that you filled to just cover the surface of the stone. All finish work was done with a steel.
    Team 35 member #31 - Team 45/70 member #70
    Team 30/30 Member #117 - Team 375 member #39
    Team 22 Mag. Member #014 - Team 32 spl #167
    Team Wheelgun #21

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mrguvna View Post
    I hate to be contrary about using oil on stones, but like I said a few years back I read this book and have employed his sharpening techniques and it is incredible how fast you can sharpen a blade once you understand the basics of the edge. I tried to put excerpts from the book for your reading pleasure.

so i am not looking for an argument, and will leave this right here, not saying this is the only way but one that works and all my blades are scalpel sharp, axes machetes, pocket knives etc........
    Different strokes
    I figure the folks that make the things know what they're talking about.
    Unless of course you want to make the argument that oil is an extra product and spit/water is free
    Knife sharpening is like a religion in many ways - different groups of true believers.
    I know a guy won't use anything but water stones - the kind you soak for a day and use with plenty of water.
    I have to admit those work good with Japanese swords and kitchen knives with a full bevel.
    But, not my cup of tea for everything.
    "The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
    George Orwell

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkie View Post
    Actually I used oil most of my life. My favorite was a Browning label in a cedar case. It is about 2 1/2 x 8 with Arkansas hard on one side and Ouachita medium on the other. It came with a bottle of oil. I never owned but always wanted the one in a lot of butcher shops. It was about 6 in wide and 18 long laying in a tank of oil that you filled to just cover the surface of the stone. All finish work was done with a steel.
    I have my MIL's antique sharpening steel from Germany. It's pretty cool - the steel is kind of an oval shape which works much better than the just round ones.
    I used it just this morning to dress the edge on my Opinel since I was going to be using it this morning and I needed it to be *really* sharp (cutting plastic wrap off form bundles).
    Forget paper or shaving hair as a sharpness test - try cutting Saran Wrap.
    "The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
    George Orwell

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I got one of those big triangle three sided Arkansas Stones on a trip to smokey mt knife works a couple years ago, I still need to learn how to use it. but I've had great success with diamond sharpeners.
    its all in holding the angle while sharpening I guess, watching a how to video and getting it right I found are two different things. all in good time

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I used stones and was taught how as a kid. I got a Smith set a few years ago and I really like it for the small folders I carry. The small knives with 1.5" blades sharpen easily with the sets with clamps to hold angle. They are PIA on regular stones because they aren't big enough to handle properly.
    BubbaJon and Goldtrigger like this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    I used stones and was taught how as a kid. I got a Smith set a few years ago and I really like it for the small folders I carry. The small knives with 1.5" blades sharpen easily with the sets with clamps to hold angle. They are PIA on regular stones because they aren't big enough to handle properly.
    I hear ya! That little sheepsfoot blade on a pocket folder is a royal PITA.
    George Orwell

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links