D2 knife blades? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: D2 knife blades?

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    My go to sharpener now is a Spyderco Sharpmaker. I have diamond stone for setting an edge and medium and fine stones for smoothing the edge out. I use these other stones for sharpening the S30V, but from what others say, that won't do D2 because they aren't diamond. I don't own a D2 knife so I probably should just wait until I do. Any recommendations for D2 EDC knives? Always looking for a good knife for hunting too.
    V
    edcknives and truckjohn like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I don't think you would go wrong with a Dozier... He is "The guy" for D2..

I have an Ontario RAT3 in D2 and and a Schrade PH1 in D2. I had the edge "fall off" the Ontario in a deer... That could just simply a factory edge problem - we will see... Realistically I will have to bring them into the kitchen to see if they still exhibit the problem because I just don't do *that* many deer a year...
    edcknives likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceA View Post
    My go to sharpener now is a Spyderco Sharpmaker. I have diamond stone for setting an edge and medium and fine stones for smoothing the edge out. I use these other stones for sharpening the S30V, but from what others say, that won't do D2 because they aren't diamond. I don't own a D2 knife so I probably should just wait until I do. Any recommendations for D2 EDC knives? Always looking for a good knife for hunting too.
    V
    I was an extensive collector of Dozier and Crotts knives for quite awhile and still own over a dozen and a half different ones of them. I helped designed 6 of the patterns he sells and some of them I have in CTS XHP which is considered to be like a stainless D2 steel on steroids. The Ontario knives are good for their price point but as I mentioned the critical part of D2 is getting the geometry and heat treat dialed in. My belief is that the Dozier/Crotts knives are the gold standard for D2. It's kind of an all or nothing with D2, you either get it specifically right or you end up with mediocrity. It's not a forgiving steel when not produced correctly. O2, A1 and 1095 are far more forgiving in that respect but there are definite trade offs. The practical reality is that Dan Crotts has been doing all the fixed blade Dozier knives for close to 20 years now and Bob does all speciality high end folders and hidden tang Lovelless style knives. Dozier knives is the corporate name on the standard line and RH Dozier are the ones Bob does individually.

I am quite sure there are other makers that doing D2 well but I have been out of that loop for awhile now. Fort henry Custom knives is a good source for some of their knives and that of others and Vince is great to work with. I met him at one of the knife shows Bob and Dan were at years ago. He's an avid dealer of many very well made knife makers products.
    Last edited by edcknives; 12-06-2019 at 12:07 PM. Reason: grammar
    Boris, Vooch and truckjohn like this.
    Matthew 25:40 / WWJD
    Favorite caliber- How is that even possible?
    The more I know the less I understand.
    Recovering Redneck / Recovering Catholic / Recovered racist
    Monotheistic Secular Humanist

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links