Real life hunting knives - fixed or folders?
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree245Likes

Thread: Real life hunting knives - fixed or folders?

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Real life hunting knives - fixed or folders?

So.. Fixed blade or folders for real life hunting duty? I am not talking about "Rambo" bushcraft stuff like clearing a lot or hacking down a tree with a belt knife.... I am talking about real life hunting - which includes gutting/skinning/breaking down game as well as general purpose camp duty...

For me - I carry a fixed blade in my pack for GAME duty.... My simple rationale is Cleaning. I did my first two deer with my old Schrade lock back and I had to clean forever and still probably never got all the blood and guts out... Then - if I am out in the field - the last thing I want to do is close up a bloody knife and stick it in my pocket or worse - the sheath.. I did that on my 1st and it was a real mess.... If that's all you have - it will work... But it's not my first choice.... I also like this one (mostly) dedicated to game so I can keep the edge hair popping sharp. There's nothing like the joy of trying to get a deer opened up, gutted, skinned, and broken down with a dull knife... Groan...

But I like a general purpose folder for general camp duty. I just carry a Swiss Army knife for this... It has a can opener, a couple screwdrivers, toothpick, and tweezers... These accessories are worth their weight in gold - because somebody ALWAYS forgot/lost the can opener or some screws need tightening or I have to dig brambles out or somebody bought beer that takes a bottle opener.... It seems like nobody drinks wine when hunting anymore - so a cork screw doesn't seem quite so important.... But I like that beer bottle opener...
    M700, marlinluvr, mikom and 7 others like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Years ago, I somehow forgot to bring my fixed blad Buck hunting knife. Shot a nice muley buck.

Thankfully I had my ever-present folder clipped in my pocket. I carried that Benchmade folder daily for a lot of years, 15+ I think. Then it was lost one day. I think the seatbelt snagged it when I was getting out of the Jeep, and I didn't notice. Sigh. Nice knife. It did a fine job of field dressing and skinning that buck!

Normally for hunting I take two knives, my fixed blade Buck Vanguard, and my little scalpel bade Havalon folder. Between the two I do pretty well. I might look for a fixed blade knife with less depth to the blade. I've tried a few and like them. Thought the Vanguard was my ultimate hunting knife, it's served well, but I may go to something else.

Guy
    Last edited by M700; 11-19-2019 at 06:07 AM.
    truckjohn, mikom, 10acres and 5 others like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Oh, I keep a little Gerber multi-tool in my Jeep, along with another folder, pliers, hatchet, etc, for camp chores.

Some very nice wines have screw tops these days. That's what goes to camp with me! But, I do have a corkscrew in the Jeep too. My Jeep and I spend a lot of time camping some years, five or six weeks often. So, it's got pretty much anything I might need.

Guy
    truckjohn, mikom, Sambane and 3 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Lol. Great point about the small toolbox I keep in the jeep... How many times have I been the guy who fixes the carb on somebody's 4-wheeler or replaces the element in the hot water heater because I am the only one there with tools... I usually bring a machete and a small pair of tree loppers out to camp with me too... It takes about 5-minutes to split the pelvis, chop off the ends of the legs, and break down the remaining deer carcass with a pair of loppers... clip clip clip done....
    mikom, Sambane, M700 and 4 others like this.

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    I've field dressed several deer with an old Case 3blade Stockman. Because I forgot knive, not because I wanted to. I've had the folding hunters and decided carrying something that heavy you might as well carry a fixed blade.
    truckjohn, mikom, Sambane and 2 others like this.
    Never trust a man who rents pigs : Gus, Lonesome Dove

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    I use a Case or Schrade folding hunter and Case or Eye Brand Sodbusters. I carry these styles year round. Knives on a belt get caught on things.

Papalote
    truckjohn, mikom, Sambane and 1 others like this.
    11 Team 444

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Fixed... Sheath on my belt and stuck in my back pocket so it won't flop or get caught on anything... I don't want a folder that might fold up on my fingers out in the middle of nowhere...
    Bart

Team Old Pharts, Team Marlin Express, Team 30-30, Team 45-70, Team 60, Team Henry, Team Semi-Auto, Marlin League, Team Glenfield, Team 1894

Symptoms of Marlinitis

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I understand the choice of the Swiss Army Knife, and I, too, have absolutely no use for the corkscrew. After all, all the wine I drink comes in a box, or has a screw cap.
    truckjohn, mikom, Judson and 1 others like this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I carry an Old Timer (old timer), Case or Gerber pocket knife on me at all times. In the woods I have a Knife of Alaska Wolf or I can't remember the name both D2 steel, one or the other is on me the other is in the backpack. I also keep a large knife in my back pack. Truly I have more knives than I need. My brother makes and collects them and gives them to me when he gets tired of them. I just throw them in a huge Walmart plastic tub. Probably have some real good ones in there. For gutting deer I find the Wolf is the best field dresser I have, its shape and length suit me, so it is usually the most used.
    truckjohn, mikom, dhansen and 1 others like this.
    Team 35 Remington #722
    Team 336-44 #62
    Team 1894 #512
    Team Wheel Gun #77
    Team 44-40 #57

Wrangler
    Member #
    John
    I carry a Case Finn CV (my Dad's hunting knife and no, they don't make them like that anymore) as my fixed blade for dressing and skinning and a Spyderco Dragonfly for regular cutting...this is now my basic carry for hunting.
    RT4
    truckjohn and dhansen like this.
    Team 35 #751
    Team 1894 #556
    Team 444 #750
    Team Shotgun #117
    Team 22 Mag #168

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links