Good skinning/field knife?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree178Likes

Thread: Good skinning/field knife?

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Good skinning/field knife?

Hey guys,

My old USA made Schrade PH1 got stolen a couple years ago and I have been casting about for another good general purpose fixed blade hunting/skinning knife. I have bought several knives now that looked good but I don't particularly like in real life use.

I would like:
    A 4-5" hunting/skinning blade.
    NOT tacticool - I want a HUNTING knife.
    No serrations
    Not too bulky or heavy.
    I like thinner blades better than fat ones. I am not going to be batonning rocks or fence posts. I will not be pulling fence staples with my knife. I don't want a 1/4"+ thick blade - too fat. Too heavy.
    Good grippy handle that doesn't squirt out of deer-blood soaked or sweaty hands
    Reliable geometry/shape so it doesn't want to slide and cut my hands.
    Steel that reliably sharpens and doesn't form a nasty wire edge.
    Stainless is a plus so I don't have to deal with blood pitting (as much).

I have tried a couple which I don't like for various reasons.
    1. Chinese, Indian, and Pakistan knives invariably are not heat treated right or the steel is funky and they don't sharpen or hold an edge like I expect.
    2. D2 and A2 - forms a HORRIBLE wire edge that's nearly impossible to sharpen off.
    3. Ultra-super high alloy stainlesses are too hard to sharpen and realistically don't offer me anything in real life performance.
    4. Old Carbon steel is beautiful but it blood pits too bad for cutting game and washing in the sink.

Guys - I also realize that BRAND means as much as general knife specs.... I know that some brands sorted all this out and others have not.

What do you like?
    Last edited by truckjohn; 11-07-2019 at 08:38 AM.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    maybe visit the superstore of everything bladed where you can put in your hand what will work for you

https://www.smkw.com
    truckjohn likes this.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    This is probably the best hunting knife i have ever owned:

https://www.outdooredge.com/products...91166c35&_ss=r

Small, strong, well thought out. Handles moose, deer and hog just fine for me. Fair priced too.
    Wish i didn't know now what i didn't know then.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    https://www.kabar.com/products/1232 Best, is that these are US made quality at a good price, not a Chinese communist made knife selling under an old US trade name. Actually use the mini-kabar, but those seem to be out of production. These are well made knives, have several of these, don't have any problems with pitting, but do oil the blades from time to time. Very good carbon steel, takes an edge quickly and keeps it for awhile.
    Last edited by graymustang; 11-07-2019 at 09:19 AM.
    truckjohn, turbobug and no primers like this.
    "Should have put more dirt down, saw it right off." Bear Claw in Jeremiah Johnson

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I carry one exactly like this, believe they were made by Buck knives.
    It was from the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, works perfect for field dressing.

20191107_084611.jpg
    truckjohn, M700 and Sambane like this.

Saddest words you'll ever hear
    ... "I have these old guns that were my dads and I have no interest in them"

Teach a kid to shoot and to carry on the tradition of safe, ethical use of firearms...

Deadeye
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by graymustang View Post
    https://www.kabar.com/products/1232 Best, is that these are US made quality at a good price, not a Chinese communist made knife selling under an old US trade name. Actually use the mini-kabar, but those seem to be out of production. These are well made knives, have several of these, don't have any problems with pitting, but do oil the blades from time to time. Very good carbon steel, takes an edge quickly and keeps it for awhile.
    That link says country of origin: Taiwan
    Sheath: Mexico
    truckjohn and turbobug like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    There are a million choices for knives out there, I still like the Buck 119 fixed blade and the 110 folding hunter.

jml
    Wrangler
    Member #
    if you can find an old chicago cutlery it fits all your needs but has a wooden handle
    truckjohn likes this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I have tried quite a few. The Buck CrossLoc is pretty good. Holds an edge and has everything on one knife for field dressing. Currently I use an Outdoor Edge knife, liked it so much bought my son one too. Since you want fixed blade you might look into the swing blade. The thing I like best with these knives is their gut hook. Works great.
    V

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I use a old Case my Mother gave me 50 years ago. I don't know how good the new ones are but they have a good reputation. This appears to be pretty much the same knife.
    https://caseknives.com/collections/hunting/products/leather-5-combination-skinner-hunter-with-leather-sheath

Padraig
    Golphin, truckjohn and no primers like this.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links