Good skinning/field knife? - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Like Tree178Likes

Thread: Good skinning/field knife?

Wrangler
    Member #
    knife 5.JPG Plus one on the older Chicago Cutlery - On top, that is one of a set of 4 we got for a wedding present. The wood handle is starting to separate after 25 years but otherwise easy to sharpen and very light. Carried it many years as a hunting knife. Blade is thin so don't pry with it. One of my go to blades when processing along with my Chicago Cutlery chefs knife. That one is 30 years old and still cutting sharp. The Cold Steel Pendelton is next on the list. Inexpensive but robust. I've lost two already but at $15 it doesn't hurt. The Bark River Huntsman is last. Again very robust blade, easy to sharpen but $$$$. I'd cry if I lost it. The only drawback is the short handle only fits 3 of my fingers so my pinkie is hanging off. It'd be just right for me with a longer handle. The Pendelton is perfectly proportioned for my hand. I like a short blade for hunting, my index finger can reach the tip with 4 fingers on the handle so I feel what's happening when I'm deep in the chest cavity. Long blades are just too clumsy for gutting.

Wrangler
    Member #
    I wanted a smaller fixed blade for hunting. Don't need or want a big blade for gutting or skinning. Wanted USA made.
    I like the Buck 102, its a smaller fixed blade. Very sharp and affordable. Did 3 deer with it last year, very satisfied.
    https://www.amazon.com/Buck-Knives-W...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
    truckjohn, twodot and Highhawk1948 like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    there are so many options available, from custom knife makers to the name brands. I have many knives but my latest is a benchmade hunter. It is sharp and stays sharp. I also use many others and when I am cutting up the meat and removing the silver skin I use a multitude of knives.
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Ditto, I have had a puma bowie since I was 19 I am 66 now and just bought a puma Jagnicker (small hunting / skinner). Quality still as good blade takes some sharpening but when its there it's there just strop to keep it there. Gar.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I’m a huge fan of the old timer 250t with the blade stamped shrade Walden I also take along a havalan
    turbobug, truckjohn and will1972 like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    s-l200.jpg
    This thing splits a breast open faster than a reciprocating saw can cut. Nice D2 Steel. To keep this tread alive for a while and maybe get others in here I may post more next week. I love blades old and new. Love to see what others have.
    Must be in my Norman blood.
    Team 35 Remington #722
    Team 336-44 #62
    Team 1894 #512
    Team Wheel Gun #77
    Team 44-40 #57

Wrangler
    Member #
    I have a bark river gunny hunter that I like. Expensive and a premium steel.

The only downfall is they may be thicker than you like and the convex edge does require a differnt sharpening technique. I have yet to need it.

Check them out because they make many models and styles.

Also dig through the DH russel catalog too.
    truckjohn likes this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    I just got the Survive 4.1 and I'm in love. It takes a while to get it but well worth it. American made and meets all your criteria. Look them up. Survive Knife. Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Golphin, slanted and truckjohn like this.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links