• 1 Post By RESIII
  • 1 Post By RESIII
  • 1 Post By RESIII

Thread: Latest project

Wrangler
    Member #

Latest project

esee5and3-1.jpgsheaths-1.jpgesee3-2.jpgesee5-2.jpgesee5-1.jpg

These are an Esee 3 and an Esee 5, or they used to be. I figured that even though the Esee knives are great, whoever designed the scales must have a square hand, so I reshaped both knives to fit me. I left the blade alone on the 3 and just reshaped the grip area. On the 5 I reshaped the entire thing and it's much better balanced now. These are actually the first serious metal work I've ever done. Too skeered beforehand.

Added black walnut scales with 1/4" brass pins. Scorched the grain, sanded, and coated with Linseed oil and Birchwood Casey hand rubbed oil finish. Both friction fit sheaths. I put a brass D ring on the Esee 5 sheath and made the drop loop. Still have a little finish work to do on the sheath for the 5, and I still need to do some more bluing and polishing on the blades and put edges on them, plus a few more coats of oil finish on the scales.

Figured it was about time I start posting up some of the work I've been doing. I've done quite a few sheaths and a few holsters do far. I'm still in the learning process (you never stop learning with this), and I figure I might be ready to graduate from leather pre-school, but I really wish I could do this for a living when I grow up.
    Last edited by RESIII; 10-01-2019 at 06:36 PM.

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    All looks good to me. Better than some I have seen for sale!

NRA Life/Endowment
    1968 336
    1972 Texan
    God bless our troops! Thanks to all that serve or have served!

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Sheaths look great. There's a few of us leatherworkers here, I'm sure you'll see some of their work from time to time. Nice job on the knives too.

Stu
    vt4ster likes this.
    Marlin League #124
    Team 35 #417
    Team Glenfield #55
    Team Mosin Nagant #22
    Team Mauser #5

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wrangler
    Member #
    Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. I could sure use some advise along the way. Such as how to get the sheath patterns correct the first time so I don't have to struggle to make adjustments so the knife will fit in the grip area. I'm enjoying the learning process though.
    Stu925 likes this.

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    beautiful craftsmanship

Marlin Fanatic
    Member #
    Very nice!
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Distinguished Master
    Dixie, the confederate states of america in woods of S.C.
    Member #
    beautiful! do you sell them?
    I have never harvested an animal but I have KILLED QUITE A FEW !

I would rather have a gun in my hand than a cop on the phone,,,,,,,,,

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by OLSKOOL View Post
    beautiful! do you sell them?
    We're about to start doing that. My blacksmith friend is working on one right now in the shape of that Esee 3. I'm probably going to put white maple scales on it with 1/8" brass pins, build a sheath and see if it sells. I've been after him for a long time to do this since I've seen the talent he has at blacksmithing. He's always busy with something else and I obviously can't make a sheath without a knife.
    I have however had people bring me their knives and I'd make the sheath for it.
    All depends on what someone is interested in.
    OLSKOOL likes this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by RESIII View Post
    Thanks for the kind words gentlemen. I could sure use some advise along the way. Such as how to get the sheath patterns correct the first time so I don't have to struggle to make adjustments so the knife will fit in the grip area. I'm enjoying the learning process though.
    If you're doing a fold over or bushcraft style sheath take a piece of scrap leather the same thickness as the stuff you're using an wrap it around the piece you're working on. Mark that piece with a pen in several areas and then write down your measurements so you have an idea how big your piece needs to be, include your stitch line in the measurement. I usually give myself a little extra above and beyond my measurements since I grind my edges on a 1x30" belt sander to get everything nice and even. I'd rather cut the piece too big than too small. I think Chuck Dorset uses this method in a few of the Weaver Leather "Leather Element" videos on youtube if I didn't describe it well enough.

Stu
    Marlin League #124
    Team 35 #417
    Team Glenfield #55
    Team Mosin Nagant #22
    Team Mauser #5

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Stu925 View Post
    If you're doing a fold over or bushcraft style sheath take a piece of scrap leather the same thickness as the stuff you're using an wrap it around the piece you're working on. Mark that piece with a pen in several areas and then write down your measurements so you have an idea how big your piece needs to be, include your stitch line in the measurement. I usually give myself a little extra above and beyond my measurements since I grind my edges on a 1x30" belt sander to get everything nice and even. I'd rather cut the piece too big than too small. I think Chuck Dorset uses this method in a few of the Weaver Leather "Leather Element" videos on youtube if I didn't describe it well enough.

Stu
    I finally started doing that on this last holster I made for my Beretta 92X. Worked out MUCH better!
    Stu925 likes this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links