Gentlemen's pocket knife - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Like Tree233Likes

Thread: Gentlemen's pocket knife

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Shooter View Post
    When I was in fifth grade (I think), being the bright, studious type that I am, I cut part of the tip of my left middle finger off during class with my Swiss Army folder. I bled all over the place. I was trying to cut a golf ball in half to reveal the core. Doh!!!!

That was not well received at school or home.

T.S.

" a tired warrior aims a little higher"

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Like i have a Marlin fetish i also have a knife fetish. I have always been partial to Case knives. They hold and edge and the bolsters do not seem to loosen with time. Cattleman and Trapper are my favorites. I have about 1 of the the original old Puma knives bought bak in the 80's those were great knives--maybe not the ones made today. If finally went to a single blade Kershaw and love it. Holds a edge great and not hard to sharpen. About a month ago i bought 2 Benchmade. Got to say they were not cheap but well worth the price, at about $130.00 each. They fit it my pocket fine even with dress pants. Just my 2 cents.

Wrangler
    Member #
    buck make a great 3 blade folder, for eberydau I carry a Keshaw sigle blade folder. It is my gi to unless I carry my buck and kershaw together

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Redbearcat7 has suggested the Great Eastern. He is correct that the blades are 1095 carbon. They are as close to a USA made custom folder that you will find under $500. Outstanding materials and fit/ finish will surprise you. Handle a Case Stockman then pick up the Great Eastern U*N*X*L*D. You can feel the difference. Their heat treat is outstanding. I used my Stockman last year to gut and skin 2 deer before I thought about sharpening. You owe yourself to take a look. You'll be glad you did.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    rx7dryver and Redbearcat7 like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I've had many nice kives over the years, but I only buy from Rapid River Knifeworks from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan made right there. I stopped by there outlet store five years ago driving through, and glad I did. Since then I've bought some as gifts for true cutlery enthusiasts. From hunters to taxidermists, all said best knives ever made. Just google Rapid River Knifeworks. Below is a couple pics of lock blades from their website. First pic is $85-$100 and second is $100. I'm sure you can go above $500 if you wanted. They will do just about any custom work you can dream up and turn around time is pretty quick.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sambane and lever30 like this.

Tenderfoot
    Member #

knives

Quote Originally Posted by NewtoSkeet View Post
    Lost/misplaced my old pocket knife. (It'll slither out from unde one of my piles of stuff as soon as I buy a new knife!) Not really into all the "tacti-cool" knifes; I like my Buck 110 but it's too big for daily carry. Single blade that will take and hold an edge, classic lines, wood or other natural materials for the case sides all good. Uses include opening packages, cutting up/coring fruit at my desk for lunch, etc. As I have a 110, the Buck Prince caught my eye. Anybody have any favorites in the under $100 range.
    TRY Hoffman Richter knives....
    Full tang or kick ass folders...
    Well made and solid as a tank and take's a mean edge in a snap !!!

Tenderfoot
    Member #

knives

Quote Originally Posted by NewtoSkeet View Post
    Lost/misplaced my old pocket knife. (It'll slither out from unde one of my piles of stuff as soon as I buy a new knife!) Not really into all the "tacti-cool" knifes; I like my Buck 110 but it's too big for daily carry. Single blade that will take and hold an edge, classic lines, wood or other natural materials for the case sides all good. Uses include opening packages, cutting up/coring fruit at my desk for lunch, etc. As I have a 110, the Buck Prince caught my eye. Anybody have any favorites in the under $100 range.
    TRY Hoffman Richter knives....
    Full tang or kick ass folders...
    Well made and solid as a tank and take's a mean edge in a snap !!!

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I can't believe some of you carried pockets knives to school. When I was in school, too many years ago, if you were caught with a pocket knife, it got confiscated, and you were expelled from school for three days. That was from grade one to graduation from high school. It would be tough to explain to mom and dad why one was expelled for carrying a knife. One would be grilled thoroughly and punished accordingly. I had knives when I was young, but I knew better than to carry one to school.

My edc knife is a Case medium stockman carried in a small leather case in my pocket to keep the knife from becoming "linty". That size knife has been my constant companion for nearly sixty years. It comes in real handy for opening snuff cans. It just the right size, as a large stockman seems to wear out the corners of jean pockets. I have other knives I carry and use for deer hunting, but all I need for squirrels is the Case.

Tinhorn
    Member #
    Kinda been here before, but it used to be if a boy couldn't be trusted with a pocket knife by the time he was eight or nine years old he was considered a wastrel by adults and a failure among his peers. I have been carrying a some variation of the classic Scout knife for better than 60 years. Since 1968 that every day carry knife has been a GI Camillus Mil-K-818. When I have to dress "nice," I like something a little smaller in the pocket like the Buck Cadet. As sort of a petite version of the stockman's knife it doesn't cause much alarm in a social setting.

p40605_74329_1486666844.jpg000_3051.jpg

For days afield, I must be the odd man out, as I like my old and discontinued Buck 321. It's a folding knife with a slim 3 inch muskrat blade and a guthook. It fits nicely in my pocket and makes quick work of dove, quail, and the occasional grouse.

DSC02358.JPG
    Team 44-40 #59
    Team Enfield #50

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by elkhunter1951 View Post
    Redbearcat7 has suggested the Great Eastern. He is correct that the blades are 1095 carbon. They are as close to a USA made custom folder that you will find under $500. Outstanding materials and fit/ finish will surprise you. Handle a Case Stockman then pick up the Great Eastern U*N*X*L*D. You can feel the difference. Their heat treat is outstanding. I used my Stockman last year to gut and skin 2 deer before I thought about sharpening. You owe yourself to take a look. You'll be glad you did.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    case knives are pretty and are certainly a functional blade but they are not in the same ballpark as a GEC. GEC knives have a much better feel and snap to them.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links