Favorite fixed blade knives? - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree443Likes

Thread: Favorite fixed blade knives?

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Just received this one in the mail today. I think it's going to be my new favorite!

"You gonna do something or just stand there and bleed?" - Wyatt Earp in "Tombstone"

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    These two are my all time favorites.
    b1.jpg
    A Blacksmith made Bowie, Age unknown.
    The name Foster is Faintly visible on the Ricasso.
    This is a Rather Large Knife,
    16 Inches long with a full 10 inches of Blade.
    Blade is 3/8ths of an inch thick and 4 inches wide at the rearmost part of the cutting edge just forward of the Guard.
    I have used it as a Camp knife, and it holds an edge very well, even when used to chop wood.

The other is a Bit more Handy at 13 inches, with 8 inches of Blade.
    I am Not Sure what the proper term would be as far as design.
    This Knife has Razor edges on Both the Primary cutting edge, and on the top edge of the spear point as well.
    I have used this as a Hunting knife and it has held its edges very well also.
    I was told it was made from and Old Wagon Spring, and that seems likely to me, given its appearance.
    It bears no markings of any sort.
    The Handle is Stag, obviously, at least to me, from some sort of Carving knife.
    b2.jpg
    The sheath is crude but very strongly made, and
    has a rather unusual design that requires you to tilt the knife away from your hip in order to withdraw it.
    It cannot fall out even when inverted.
    My Avatar is in Honor of my Great-Great Grandfather, Brig/Gen Dudley M. DuBose.
    Flag is the Sole surviving Battle Flag of the 15th Ga Infantry Regt..
    Commandant (Col.) 1861-63

Gunfighter
    Member #
    My favorite--wish I could take pictures; there's nothing I could easily compare it to--is an 8-1/2" bowie/hunter made by a gov't blacksmith who shows up on the Indian reservation census in 1890 and 1900. Don't know if he made it on gov't time or his own; his name was stamped "WM SHAWK on the butt and the guard. He may have been related to the Shawk family that went from blacksmithing to revolver-making for the rebs during the war between the states. For most of my carry chores I use that or one of the Russell Green Rivers from my collection, but I like to have a Collins Legitimus machete when I head into the brush, so as to deal with the forty feet of blackberry that grows up between me'n the truck while I'm gone. I dealt with a lotta brush as a land surveyor here on the wet side of the Cascades over the half-century I was surveying; there's never been anything that matched the Collins for carving lines through the vine maple, devil's club and berry bushes, other'n a D-8 cat.
    windy
    sonny, whar i growed up "magnum" wuz another word fer "lousy hunter"!

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by windy View Post
    My favorite--wish I could take pictures; there's nothing I could easily compare it to--is an 8-1/2" bowie/hunter made by a gov't blacksmith who shows up on the Indian reservation census in 1890 and 1900. Don't know if he made it on gov't time or his own; his name was stamped "WM SHAWK on the butt and the guard. He may have been related to the Shawk family that went from blacksmithing to revolver-making for the rebs during the war between the states. For most of my carry chores I use that or one of the Russell Green Rivers from my collection, but I like to have a Collins Legitimus machete when I head into the brush, so as to deal with the forty feet of blackberry that grows up between me'n the truck while I'm gone. I dealt with a lotta brush as a land surveyor here on the wet side of the Cascades over the half-century I was surveying; there's never been anything that matched the Collins for carving lines through the vine maple, devil's club and berry bushes, other'n a D-8 cat.
    windy
    Would love to see some pics, windy. Thanks.
    Ojaileveraction and kah64 like this.
    Dave
    -Very Concerned NRA Life Member (Get it together NRA!)
    -S&W Revolver Nerd
    -Smith & Wesson Historical Foundation
    -Smith & Wesson Collectors Association

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #
    I don't know if I have a favorite fixed blade unless its the smallest size rapala fillet. You'd be surprised how often I use it in the house and in the woods even. I have a big Ace-Herder bowie I don't know much about it. I like the Bucks with black handles but don't have one, always wanted the skinner model. I have a little knife by Ontario I think called a Rat 3. It is often with me. You guys have some beautiful knives.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    image.jpeg
    70's Randall Made model #11, Alaskan Skinner. Very good all around knife if you like a drop point blade.
    R. Highhawk

Ride, Shoot Straight, and Speak the Truth.

TEAMS 45-70, 30-30, 1894, Browning

Member #
    Just remembered I have several of the Mora knives made in Sweden I think and several of the Western brand. I think I have showed the one on here before that is the Fred bear bowhunters kit. Has the Western knife and a file and stone in a leather sheathe built for all 3.
    Shark Bait, kah64 and Pshooter like this.

Member #
    Here are two that I have found to work well for me:

CIMG3111.JPG

Last edited by twodot; 09-02-2019 at 06:43 PM.
    Shark Bait, Stu925, Bumpus and 3 others like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    My favorite fillet knife getting some use today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Team 39 #474, Team 60 #445, Team Bolt Action Rimfire #163, Team 22 Magnum #172
    Team Glenfield #85, Team 30-30 #1370, Team 32 Special #162, Team 35 #749,
    Team 444 ​#761, Team 45/70 #1831, ​Team Marlin Express

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I like kukri knives and own a few. With some of the smaller ones in my picture, I have used in field dressing a deer so they can be used for hunting purposes. I also like KaBar knives especially the Becker 15 and 5.
    Shark Bait likes this.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links