Making my 1st knife....kind of

Wrangler
    Member #

Making my 1st knife....kind of

I just ordered my blade blank and handle material. I am going to try and make a drop point skinner in SS to match my MXLR. I have never done anything like this before, but you have to start somewhere. I will most likely lean on some of you guys here for advice once I start and post pics as I go along. The material I am using for the handle is a syn type they state is good for guns & knives and looks like the grey laminate on my MXLR.
    338 MXLR
    30-30 Zane Grey
    357 Mag 1894C
    22 Model 60
    Team Marlin Express
    Team 30-30 #168
    Team 1894 #144
    Team 60 #112

Motto: It Begins with Me, I Believe, I'll Never Quit....

Deadeye
    Member #

Re: Making my 1st knife....kind of

Best tip I can give ya is to do as much work on the front of the handle's as possible before epoxying to the blade. It's hard to get to afterwards, and almost impossible to avoid scratching the blade if ya do.

Other than that, take your time, and have fun.
    You'll be fine.
    Field sports are not about targets and scores. Score-keeping is necessary in competitions between humans, unattractive in competitions with weaker adversaries. Constant scores of many to zero do not smell of struggle and chance. They smell of greed.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Mike this sounds like a great project. What kind of stainless did you get, is it 440C or something more exotic? The handle material almost sounds like corian or something like that. Keep us posted on your progress please, this sounds very interesting.

MM
    Account Closed

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #

Practice drawing (and even making) the blade on/from a scrap of wood. Say 1/4" plywood or so. Then make a mock up handle for it.

I see a lot of new guys who don't take much time to draw a good knife. They just start grinding. Take time in the drawing stage. Make fair, pretty curves and lines with no weird humps or dips.

Grind slow. You can't easily put material back on.

Grind high. The shallower the taper on the grind, the longer it takes, BUT the thinner knife will be easier to sharpen for a long time. Cheap, poorly made knives have a very short grind leaving a thick blade where the small thin area sharpens away quickly.

Grind even. Otherwise it will warp when you temper it.

Polish it well now. It's harder to polish after tempering, though it can be done.

Temper it till a magnet won't stick to it. Glowing red isn't hot enough. The magnet will tell you. Then (and only then) quench it preferably into warm oil. Cooking oil, rendered wild panther grease, gear oil from your BIL's truck, whatever, but warmer (150*) is better than room temp.

Anneal it in a toaster oven. I'd use 450* for an hour for a start. A file will tell you if it's still too hard.

Last, add the handles, sharpen, and make a good sheath. Leather working is easier than making the knife, I promise. A good, sharp knife can cut it's way through a poor fitting sheath in short order.

Just my opinions and thoughts. There are folks on here who know more about it than me.
    Gun Control is a Liberal Hate Crimes against Good Ole Boys.
    Introduce a kid or neighbor to hunting or shooting.

Wrangler
    Member #

Just got in the blade blank & wood blocks & I have 1 question. Do I trace the blank onto the wood and cut it out with a jig saw first? I want to try some diffenert designs to the front part of the handle with some plywood before I work on the wood I ordered.
    Any help? By the way, the SS is 440 & cryogenically treated & the handle material is a black/grey laminate. Once done I am going to find someone to make my sheath with some reference to the MXLR. Thanks again & God Bless.
    338 MXLR
    30-30 Zane Grey
    357 Mag 1894C
    22 Model 60
    Team Marlin Express
    Team 30-30 #168
    Team 1894 #144
    Team 60 #112

Deadeye
    Member #

Jig saw's kinda hard to handle with such small pieces.
    Scroll saw's better if ya have one. I clamp em in a vice and cut em out with a coping saw.
    They're cheap if ya don't have one.
    Cut the scales a tad bigger than the blade handle and sand em down to the metal.
    Final sanding and polishing will remove any scratches in the metal from the initial sanding.
    That's the way I do it anyway.

I started out by making a few kitchen knives. They're easy, cheap, and make nice gifts.

Here's one I made last year. Looks pretty good as long as ya don't get to close. LOL

I'm far from an expert, but it's a good way to kill some time in the winter and hand made gifts are always better than some WalMart crap.
    One of these days I'm gonna keep one for my self.
    Good Luck
    Charlie
    Field sports are not about targets and scores. Score-keeping is necessary in competitions between humans, unattractive in competitions with weaker adversaries. Constant scores of many to zero do not smell of struggle and chance. They smell of greed.

Wrangler
    Member #

Mydogshunt,

The skinner you have there looks just like the blade blank I ordered. I hope my knife comes out half as nice as that one & I will be happy. My plan is to do several of these type of projects and give them away as gifts thru out the yr and later order a Dasmascus blank I want made and do the same for myself. Thanks for the help and God Bless.
    338 MXLR
    30-30 Zane Grey
    357 Mag 1894C
    22 Model 60
    Team Marlin Express
    Team 30-30 #168
    Team 1894 #144
    Team 60 #112

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

I am sorry I didn't see this sooner, I have been busy. Please call me if you still have questions, I can help.
    Thanks, Dan
    478-288-2354
    www.massonknives.com

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links