EDC knife suggestions - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: EDC knife suggestions

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisZ96 View Post
    23, still in school and will GLADLY leave when the time is right.
    My sister lived in Manhattan during the sixties and the seventies. I use to go visit her on weekends sometimes when the city wasn't so crowded. Back then we would travel with at least 2 other people so we had a 4 sum, it was safer. We never had an incident. New York use to be fun. So was California, at one time.

Get out of there as soon as you can.

Mike T.
    The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limitations. (Attributed to Albert Einstein)

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by maki00 View Post
    I believe OP lives in NYC (brooklyn) if I recall. NYC has different laws compared to NYS. certain knives are illegal in NYC: a blade can't be more than 4". You can't open carry a knife(fix blade in a sheath, etc) in NYC. Many retailers will not ship to NYC because of their laws.
    Too many ignorant liberals in NYC thinks laws/banning knives/ guns is going to save them. What "they fail to understand" is that criminals don't obey the law, that's why they're a criminal.
    Some NYPD are ignorant about knife carry & will harass you. I saw a guy get harassed by NYPD at a train station. Saying the guy's knife was a gravity knife (it wasn't) and confiscated it or he was going to be arrest for having it (apparently the cop spotted the pocket clip of the knife on the guys pocket.)

Going back to OP's question about the "CRKT Helical". I don't own one, but imo the handle looks too wide/fat (compared to others) for my taste, and I'm not a fan of the tanto blade.

Don't fool yourself. The restrictions are all over NY State. Sure NY City is worse today but it is coming your way just like it did the year before. You are just a step behind but will get the same laws. Do you have a concealed carry permit? Can you go to your tag agency and apply and get one as long as you don't have a felony conviction? Having to have a permit is bad enough but not being able to get one is even worse. I am betting it is not easy to get one anywhere in NY unless you are buddy's with the judge or have a lot of money and or political influence..
    msharley and miket156 like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Golphin View Post
    Don't fool yourself. The restrictions are all over NY State. Sure NY City is worse today but it is coming your way just like it did the year before. You are just a step behind but will get the same laws. Do you have a concealed carry permit? Can you go to your tag agency and apply and get one as long as you don't have a felony conviction? Having to have a permit is bad enough but not being able to get one is even worse. I am betting it is not easy to get one anywhere in NY unless you are buddy's with the judge or have a lot of money and or political influence..
    Rules/ laws have changed in many States no thanks to the liberals & politicians. Every time there's a shooting politicians talk about change.
    I've lived here a VERY long time and watched the change. Some guys (NY'ers) are grandfather-in with their CC license.
    Yes, there are many counties in NYS that still issue a CC license (no inside connection/influence.) Most of the members on "NY forum" have a CC license, and others talk about getting theirs.

A person can get a NYC CC license, but they must meet the requirements. (My dad had a NYC CC lic.)

Sorry for taking this off topic OP... "EDC Knife suggestion"
    If I was to carry a knife in NYC (and I have). I carry it deep in the pocket, even if it had a pocket clip. I like the ZT, Spyderco & Benchmade. your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by maki00; 06-06-2019 at 08:19 AM.
    Golphin likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I carry a three blade medium workman. It has a lot of utility. For defense, I carry a gun. If I couldn't carry a gun it would be a 3 1/2 inch sheath knife.
    Team 35 member #31
    Team 45/70 member #70
    Team 30/30 Member #117
    Team 375 member #39
    Team 22 Mag. Member #014

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Golphin View Post
    NYC is a totally different animal than the rest of the state. For instance, your New York State pistol permit is not valid in NYC. Seems like it should be since NYC is technically part of NYS right? You're correct though, NY politicians pander to NYC this is how Cuomo keeps getting elected. He won 6 counties last election, the election before he won even less. NYC laws will be state law if they have their way, I'm out of here as soon as my kids are out of school. I've watched this state go down the tubes for too long and there is nothing we can do to change it. NYS is doomed. On the bright side the state legislature has recognized the right of felines to keep and bear arms by passing a bill to ban declawing cats. Too bad they don't recognize the People's right to keep and bear arms.
    shawlerbrook and miket156 like this.
    Marlin League #124
    Team 35 #417
    Team Glenfield #55
    Team Mosin Nagant #22
    Team Mauser #5

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Another vote for the Buck Vantage. I prefer the Vantage force (845). Great value. Pocket clips on some knives wear into my hide under heavy use. The Buck's clip is reversible, low profile, rides deep and unnoticed in the pocket or when in use. Retention is great and doesn't catch on everything or scratch up upholstery. The blade shape is excellent for a number of tasks. It has a decent point, not as good as the 110 for digging out a sliver or detaching the anus on an ungulate you are field dressing but plenty capable for those and other piercing tasks. Excellent slicer and skinner for a folder. Easy one handed opening. Slim profile, yet thick enough to be comfortable under heavy and continuous use. The blade will take and hold a shaving sharp edge. I noticed they were on sale at a few places for $40. If I didn't already have backups I'd be tempted to buy more. Can be opened with a flip which may or may not be legal where you are.

Another knife that is about half the price is the Buck Bantam. Very comfortable to use. Rides a bit high in the pocket for my taste. Easy one handed open with the thumb stud. Lightweight. I use them when weight is a consideration or for tasks that could be described as abusive. I own the medium and large sizes. I think the Medium is the better choice though the large feels better in my hand.

Bantam on top. 845 Vantage below

One is none, two is one. Four means I really like the knife and don't want to be without one should it ever discontinued or I manage to break or lose one.

My EDC has the silver pocket clip that I swapped with my wife's regular Vantage as black more subdued.
    "Hunts differ in flavor, but the reasons are subtle. The sweetest hunts are stolen. To steel a hunt, either go far into the wilderness where no one has been, or else find some undiscovered place under everybody's nose." - Aldo Leopold

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Lightbulb

The other side of the Anti Gun story is issue that came up on one of the Townships in Centre County PA. It may have been College Township as it was close to state college. The Township had Posted a sign in a local "Community Park" stating it was either a "Gun Free Zone" OR "Firearms not Permitted". However the STATE of PA has a law on the books that local laws MUST conform to state laws or "or are invalid". (I read the article but I'm winging the terminology now) Anyway, the Legal Councilor in the Township told their board of supervisors "The Gun Free Zone sign had to be removed". The Lawyer for the Township told them what state law said. She also said that they are setting themselves up for LAWSUITS. Centre County has a ton of Lawyers, and you can bet that people with CC Licenses would SUE the township about ANY Gun Ban a Township would try to Post. Shortly thereafter, the Board of Supervisors had the signs taken down.

Apparently some local families with children complained to the Township because the Gun Ban signs had been taken down. They were told its "State Law". The signs were gone and that was the end of it. Families with children didn't like it, but at least the Township complied with state law.

Its the Fascists in New York State that are the problem. They don't want guns and they will ban them wherever they want to ban them. Its a different mentality than most places in PA. Philly has that city mentality, I don't live anywhere NEAR that place (and never will) so I don't know what goes on there. What I DO know is Philly votes for the Fascists come election time. Therein lies the problem. City versus Rural.

Mike T.
    The difference between Genius and Stupidity is that Genius has its limitations. (Attributed to Albert Einstein)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links