British humor - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: British humor

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Along same line, when I worked at a MC shop in Phoenix, a traveler from Alabama stopped in for some repairs. He was trying to explain the problem he had, but the service manager could'nt understand him. Manager came back to the shop & told me I needed to translate for him since I speak Southern as he put it. The traveler & me both got a good chuckle out of it.
    This is the strangest life I've ever known.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    British humour, much like American humour is mostly specific to our own people. From what I have seen, humour is restricted to the English speaking world, the rest dont really have it. Of course, it may be that I only speak English.

I told this to some Europeans, 'Someone stole my anti-depressants. I just hope they are happy'. They thought I was serious. Mind you, I have a lot of fun with the Germans. They get none of my jokes, which I find funny in itself.

I actually wrote jokes for a very short time. Thats true. Got a few quid for each one, but stopped. Like writing for magazines its not worth the effort for the money.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by tranteruk View Post
    British humour, much like American humour is mostly specific to our own people. From what I have seen, humour is restricted to the English speaking world, the rest dont really have it. Of course, it may be that I only speak English.

I told this to some Europeans, 'Someone stole my anti-depressants. I just hope they are happy'. They thought I was serious. Mind you, I have a lot of fun with the Germans. They get none of my jokes, which I find funny in itself.

I actually wrote jokes for a very short time. Thats true. Got a few quid for each one, but stopped. Like writing for magazines its not worth the effort for the money.
    lol - I spent my teen years in Germany. They have an odd sense of humor which in may ways is very juvenile - like delayed humor development or something
    I love my German friends and they do have a marvelous sense of humor - but like Brit humor, it's an acquired taste.
    I was shooting headshots for the University I worked at and one was a German scientist.
    He put on a serious mug and I asked him to crack a smile.
    He deadpanned even more and said (think Sgt Shultz here) "I am a scientist, Ve don't schmile".
    Still not sure he was cracking a joke...
    "The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
    George Orwell

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Contributing Member
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaJon View Post
    Cajun - I mean bayou dwelling Cajun - is some seriously thick stuff.
    they call them coon asses and yes the speak a whole different language. I lived and worked amongst them for years, good folks.

good story:

I was in the galley on a oil rig one day in the gulf of mexico eating breakfast at a table by myself. I was watching and listening to a few coon ass fellas showing pictures and having a somewhat serious discussion. I heard one comment on the photo about how nice a "rear end" this one had and on and on about the physical attributes of the photo. Well I had been out there for about a month so was missing seeing pretty young ladies so this conversation had my full attention. I went over to view the photos and they were discussing the physical attributes of a COW!
    Last edited by mrguvna; 03-19-2020 at 12:27 PM.
    roybean1894 likes this.
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mrguvna View Post
    they call them coon asses and yes the speak a whole different language. I lived and worked amongst them for years, good folks.

good story:

I was in the galley on a oil rig one day in the gulf of mexico eating breakfast at a table by myself. I was watching and listening to a few coon ass fellas showing pictures and having a somewhat serious discussion. I heard one comment on the photo about how nice a "rear end" this one had and on and on about the physical attributes of the photo. Well I had been out there for about a month so was missing seeing pretty young ladies so this conversation had my full attention. I went over to view the photos and they were discussing the physical attributes of a COW!
    Shoulda asked if she was stump trained
    "The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
    George Orwell

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I was shooting headshots for the University .
    I had to read that one twice, no prizes for guessing why.

Some of the best comedy comes from the US, no question. Ours is kinda off the wall. You have to think about it. The US comedy gives you the joke, and a punch line. British comedy sort of leaves the punchline out, you have to get there yourself and that makes it funnier, To us anyway.

Silly example:

My dog has no nose

How does he smell?

Terrible.

We dont need the last line for it to be funny. You figure it out yourself. Not a good example, but hey.
    Last edited by tranteruk; 03-19-2020 at 01:12 PM.
    'Diligentia Vis Celeritas'

Its not what difficulties life throws at us, but how we face them that defines us....

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by tranteruk View Post
    . . . From what I have seen, humour is restricted to the English speaking world, the rest dont really have it. Of course, it may be that I only speak English. . .
    That right there made me chuckle!

Gunfighter
    Member #
    Shoulda asked if she was stump trained
    How do you know about that
    It Ain't Over till It,s Over !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links