Model 3000 - unable to load 2nd round into tube - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Model 3000 - unable to load 2nd round into tube

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    This is similar to a problem I had with my 1894...

Not sure how far you stripped your 3000. Did you take the magazine tube out of the receiver?
    If so, there is a recess in the forward part of the receiver where the magazine tube sits. It the mag tube is not down inside it, this can cause the problem you describe. The mag tube looks to be in the correct position, but it is not correctly sited and overlaps the feed channel of the receiver. On my 1894, it would allow one round to be loaded, and no others until I reseated the mag tube.

You will need to take off the fore end stock to check this. Upon reassembly, the mag tube may need to be flexed a bit closer to the barrel when putting the barrel band back on and feeding the screws.

Good luck.
    thelineman and bbuhlman like this.
    NRA Endowment Life Member, SASS, OGCA, NC Watermen United
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” -- George Orwell
    "Corruptissima in republica plurimae leges."--Tacitus
    The more numerous the laws, the more corrupt the government.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by thelineman View Post
    No. I am talking about the magazine tube spring and the magazine tube follower. Sometimes when you put it back together, the spring does not go into the follower correctly, causing the spring to be between the tube and the follower.
    Thelineman,
    I never removed the spring until tonight. I have the old metal follower and its late and I didn't remove the follower but I will probably tomorrow. You guys have helped and I think we are on the right track now with the tube and follower. If I have one in the tube and I push a dowel repeatedly up the tube it seems the round gets stuck somewhere in the tube sometimes but not all the time. A also noticed that sometimes if I push the first round so its nose it pointed down the second round will load fine. I can't do this consistently though. The only thing that works consistently is if open the action about 1/8', then I am able to push the second round in every time. I am using dummy rounds with 160grn RNFP to test with (no primer or powder) OAL 2.485. I didn't remove the follower to look at it because it didn't come out but did slide freely back and forth. Thanks everyone for your knowledge and patience!

-Bill
    Last edited by bbuhlman; 09-08-2018 at 02:57 PM.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    HIkayaker,
    thank you, I didn’t see your post till after I replied to thelineman. I’ll check this out! I did not remove the tube from the receiver but what what you say makes sense.
    thanks again!

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by HIKayaker View Post
    This is similar to a problem I had with my 1894...

Not sure how far you stripped your 3000. Did you take the magazine tube out of the receiver?
    If so, there is a recess in the forward part of the receiver where the magazine tube sits. It the mag tube is not down inside it, this can cause the problem you describe. The mag tube looks to be in the correct position, but it is not correctly sited and overlaps the feed channel of the receiver. On my 1894, it would allow one round to be loaded, and no others until I reseated the mag tube.

You will need to take off the fore end stock to check this. Upon reassembly, the mag tube may need to be flexed a bit closer to the barrel when putting the barrel band back on and feeding the screws.

Good luck.
    Good Afternoon Hikayaker,
    I pulled the fore end stock off and pulled the feed tube this morning. I cleaned and lubed the tube. I'm sure the tube was in correctly or the barrel band screw wouldn't fit. Anyway, everything is back together and the behavior is the same. There is one new detail that I did notice, the bottom screw that holds the trigger guard plate into the receiver isn't flush with the receiver end of the feed tube. At first I thought that this wouldn't matter but on second thought, after the first round is pushed in, conceivably the rim of the first round could get caught in this hole. The follower would be farther up the tube so it wouldn't be in the way. What do you guys think? I've added a picture to illustrate the point. I'm probably barking up the wrong tree here but its a steep learning curve here! Thanks again!

Attachment 727206

Super Moderator
    Member #
    If the rifle sat in the closet for 20+ years it is possible there is rust build up inside the mag tube... Shine a light down it and have a look see...
    bbuhlman likes this.
    Bart

Team Old Pharts, Team Marlin Express, Team 30-30, Team 45-70, Team 60, Team Henry, Team Semi-Auto, Marlin League, Team Glenfield, Team 1894

Symptoms of Marlinitis

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpiusb View Post
    If the rifle sat in the closet for 20+ years it is possible there is rust build up inside the mag tube... Shine a light down it and have a look see...
    Hi Bart,
    Thanks for your reply. I've had the tube out and the follower slides up and down really well. I think its clear...

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    I did determine if I push the first round up the tube about 1" with a piece of stiff wire and then push the second round in while the first is still farther up the tube the second round loads fine. Sounds like its an obstruction in the tube or its my dummy rounds. Thanks everyone for the assistance.

-Bill

Tenderfoot
    Member #

Thanks to all

Hi Everyone,
    I wanted to let you know how this turned out, there must have been something in the tube, rust or something because everything is fine now, I can push at least 5 up the tube without obstruction and they cycle through and eject. I didn't change a thing, I guess it was magic! I will get some range time this weekend...

Thanks to everyone who replied with your wisdom...

-Bill
    Scorpiusb likes this.

Tenderfoot
    Member #
    Update - I loaded up some 158gr SNS coated FP boolits with 17.5 gr. of H4895 and went to the range. With open sights I was hitting in the black at 100yds. Pretty cool plinking load. A bit sooty but it shot well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links