Failure to feed issues in 1894's SOLVED - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Failure to feed issues in 1894's SOLVED

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Re: Failure to feed issues in 1894's SOLVED

I have tried fast and slow, canted to the left and right, tilted up and down. Sometimes it will feed as slick as glass, other times the nose of the bullet gets hung above the chamber. I have polished/radiused the mouth of the chamber a little. It just looks like the back of the cartridge (near the rim) need to be kicked up a little higher a little sooner.

I did look at that bump on the extractor... When it's all working like it should, the rim is under the extractor all nice and neat and the bullet nose lines up perfectly. The OAL is OK it just seems like something is out of time. When I am feeding it bullets that it likes, it's a beautiful thing It will shoot 1 1/2 groups at 100yds with the Skinner sights. If it didn't shoot so well, I would have already traded it off!

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #

When it hangs up the rim of the case is not fully engaged in the extractor correct? The heavy wide flat bullets have less room for error when it comes to feeding. Smaller round nose or jacketed have a fast taper to the nose and can be off center to the chamber a bit and still feed. Not so with the wide flat nose bullets. All of your room for error is lost by that big wide nose You say the extractor spring looks like my second pic. Did you pinch the spring where it attaches to the extractor that was the clincher for me. The bigger bullets need the brass to engage the rim quicker than the round or tapered bullets. While the rim is trying to engage it is pushing on the extractor and compressing the spring and opening the extractor to accept the rim. The weaker the spring the easier the rim will engage. If that fails polish the extractor between the claw and the nub below. You might have to make that gap just a bit larger. Do not loose the 90% angle of the claw while polishing. When I say polishing you may have to remove a tiny bit of material then polish smooth. Load up some dummies and work them through the action. I asume you have a good crimp on your bullets also. Remember when the 44 mag was developed it was based on a 250gr bullet I believe of the Kieth design for a pistol. Thats probably what a Marlin was meant to feed not what you or I are trying to stuff down them. Be patient you will get it. Good luck.

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #

Quote by Kelbro
    I did look at that bump on the (extractor)... When it's all working like it should, the rim is under the extractor all nice and neat and the bullet nose lines up perfectly. The OAL is OK it just seems

I said the ejector on this part. While your rim is trying to engage the (extractor) on one side the case rim is bumping the nub on the (ejector) on the other side. I gave my (ejector nub) a good stoning also!

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #

I was having trouble with my 94 feeding Wally World Winchester 240 gr JSP rounds (Q4240) and noticed that they weren't crimped. I started running them through my Lee Factory Crimp die and now they feed flawlessly. I have boxes marked, "Rifle" for the 94. I have others that I haven't crimped that I shoot in my SRH and 629. By the way, the 4240s are about the most consistently accurate stuff that I shoot, dirty but accurate.

Site Contributor Contributing Member
    Member #

Thanks guys. I will take a look at that ejector nub. I may just have to stick with the 265 grainers but I'm not giving up on it yet.

Wrangler
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner Mick
    I was having trouble with my 94 feeding Wally World Winchester 240 gr JSP rounds (Q4240) and noticed that they weren't crimped. I started running them through my Lee Factory Crimp die and now they feed flawlessly. I have boxes marked, "Rifle" for the 94. I have others that I haven't crimped that I shoot in my SRH and 629. By the way, the 4240s are about the most consistently accurate stuff that I shoot, dirty but accurate.
    Same thing here with mine. Crimped rounds feed excellent, uncrimped not so good. So now I have ammo marked rifle or pistol. What a PIA, really makes my M seem more appealing.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just shoot you.
    1894C
    1894P
    981T
    70PSS

Sidewinder
    Member #

I tried it and it worked!!!

B.Judd
    B Judd

Wrangler
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Judd

B.Judd
    Ttied crimped ammo or the ejector mod?
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just shoot you.
    1894C
    1894P
    981T
    70PSS

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #

Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Judd

B.Judd
    Dude I just checked out your website! AWESOME!!!!

Tenderfoot
    Member #

As an "average" gun owner, who just got a 1894C, and who doesn't have any tools beyond a basic screwdriver set, how would I go about removing the extractor?
    It looks like a pin is holding it in, but I don't have any punches to drift it out with, and I don't know if it has to be moved a certain way or either way.
    I'm having the issue with large-nosed semi-jacketed rounds.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links