• 1 Post By swany
  • 1 Post By Ranch Dog
  • 3 Post By Ranch Dog
  • 11 Post By Ranch Dog

Thread: Feeding Issues- Round entering bore at steep angle and jamming

Esteemed Sharpshooter
    Member #

Feeding Issues- Round entering bore at steep angle and jamming

Many with new Marlins some even older have feeding issues. One of these is caused by a new or stiff extractor which has not been broken in. Sometimes it may be just different ammo such as Lever E IN 45-70 which is causing a feeding issue.

While trying to chamber a round on the bolts forward motion if the rim of the cartridge does not fully engage the extractor the round will try to enter the chamber at too steep of an angle causing the round to rub the top of the chamber even jam. Sometimes a double clutching of the lever will solve this or bumping the round with your finger.

Remember this fix is only for the feeding issue previously mentioned. Something to try which is quick and easy and I think is better than going at the extractor with a file...unless you have a burr then have at it, is this. It solved my problem and might help you. Take a screwdriver and place it under the lip of the extractor and give it a slight bend outwards. This will relieve the downward pressure on the rim of the case which is causing the problem. Just bend it a very small amount at a time untill the problem is solved. If you bend it too far you can always remove the extractor and bend it back. This has solved my problem and a few other peoples I have mentioned it to. Good luck!

Army Veteran 67-69 Korea Administrator
    Member #

Re: Feeding Issues- Round entering bore at steep angle and jamming

Good post, some others have taken their bolts apart and dremeled the claws bottom to deal with other feeding issues.

Site Sponsor/Site Contributor Gun Wizard
    Member #

Picked up my 338MX from my FFL this afternoon and UPS just showed up with the ammo. Not good, carrier is out of time and the cartridges will not chamber even when fed one at a time through the ejection port.

You can see how far this cartridge got into the chamber. I will call them tomorrow to start the return process.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Member #

Originally posted by FredT

Most of the Marlin feed problems that I could gleen info from deal with the extractor being too tight against the bolt and not allowing the rim to line up with the bolt face, it just jams right there. I figured this out on one of mine. When it jammed, I lifted the extractor off of the rim a bit with my finger and then the round fed. I ended up removing the bolt and bending the extractor out a little bit on the edge of an old wooden drawer. Total fix took 10 minutes. RD, when you said it would not feed a round dropped in the ejection port, does it hang up part way in on the ejector? Will it chamber if you just drop a round into the chamber? In this pic you can see where mine would jam. The extractor would not let the rim up any farther. Bending off some spring tension from the extractor fixed that.

Member #

FredT...

You were right on target! I figured I didn't have anything to loose so I applied the adjustment.

I just slid a flat blade driver under the tongue of the extractor. I did this three times, a little deeper each time, as I did not want to overdo it. Absolutely no issues now! My rifle feeds and cycles a tube of ammo as slick as possible. Problem cured, no need to contact Marlin or send the rifle in. It's amazing how such a little thing can bring everything to a stop!

I'm ready to go!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links