It's a Winchester '94 Jam. But does it still qualify?
Results 1 to 9 of 9
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By Davetm
  • 2 Post By Davetm
  • 1 Post By 94win30wcf
  • 2 Post By Davetm
  • 1 Post By cynergyou

Thread: It's a Winchester '94 Jam. But does it still qualify?



  1. #1
    Marlin Marksman
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,156
    Member #
    13183
    Thanked
    1650 times

    It's a Winchester '94 Jam. But does it still qualify?

    I posted it here 'cause the title says "All kinds of jams", but if it's just Marlin jams.....well....(sniff, sniff) I guess the mod's can move it.

    I've been at the range shooting my new-to-me Winchester -94's. (Yes, more than one) So, the 38-55 has been functioning very well and I have no complaints.....other than I need to get a lower front sight as it came with a factory front sight that had a very nice brass bead....but it's .500 high and when I put a peep on the receiver the peep looks like it's adjusted for a giraffe-neck type person to shoot!! So, that has to go.

    But...to the "jam" issue with this M '94 32-40. I've put about 50 rounds thru this rifle. Now, this rifle was built in the early 80's and essentially sat in a box since then. So, I've been very careful in my reloading to make the brass length to current spec's and I have formed the brass from 38-55 brass. But in my shooting about half of the brass has not properly fed. I've not been able to determine why at the range because it's just been to cold there to do the slow load 'n look 'n think thing. But this morning, while in the house all by myself, and being very cautious to not shoot the house (my wife gets really mad should I do that....let's just say I once "appeared to" shoot the outside window sill with a 22 while lined up on a groundhog. 'nuff said. ) So, what I've determined is it appears the spring\follower is not "forcing" the rounds into or onto the pickup link. Before I took these rifles out I did a through cleaning including pulling out the follower's and cleaning the tube's etc. So, I pulled out the follower again, checked the spring and re-examined the follower. This time I took some 800 grit sandpaper and just did a quick skim around the outside edge of the follower to remove any burr's that may have been there (even though my eyes and fingers could not detect any) and I took my dial caliper's and measured the follower for consistent roundness. All was good.

    So, I slapped it all back together.....and found that about every second or third round would refuse to "spit" out of the tube and onto the "little flicky thing" or better know as the pickup link. So...you know....it couldn't be something easy like....I need to cut my brass by ten-thousand's more or something. But....it appears that I need a new spring. (You know...a big spring in the Mag tube kind) I'm guessing that the existing spring just got weak after 30 years of "hanging out" doing nothing. So....while I'm going to order one, I figure I should order more....'cause you know what's gonna happen to the spring on the 38-55. It will get jealous 'cause the 32-40 spring retired.

    Anyway....I think that's the issue. I'll let you know when the new spring gets here. (Unless the Mod's determine that since this is a Win.....this post will go into "execution mode"

    Dave
    cynergyou likes this.
    I shoot all my rabbits with Hornady's dangerous game bullets.
    Team Winchester #101
    Team 32 Special #149
    Team 38-55 #3
    I got lot's more in the back.....

  2. #2
    Marlin Marksman
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,156
    Member #
    13183
    Thanked
    1650 times
    Well......just when I think I have it all figured out.......an airplane flies over and somebody flushes.

    So, I have a '94 that is currently in repair mode (another one) that has a longer mag tube. So, I just cut the spring on that one....plus I leave it a few inches longer for that X-tra push (I'll like get into trouble later for that) load up the mag tube, and Wha-La.....I get the same results. I put 5 rounds in the tube and two feed great....3 don't make it to the pick up link. Ghee...I'm glad I cut that spring.

    So, now I look further. I take the forearm off and examine the tube again, examine the follower again and all of that appears good. So, now I mic the tube inside diameter and compare that to the receiver's dimension where the cartridge "exchange" takes place. Well, there's quite a difference in that the receiver is much smaller. I don't recall that dimension off the top of my head...but it's a good 50-thousands anyway. Or at least 25-thousands all the way around the tube\receiver "connection." So...ok...this is not Winchesters first rodeo on this. So, now I pick up the 94 that I have in repair mode and it's really obvious!! The chamfer of the receiver from the mag tube to the receiver on the 94 in repair mode is much more generous than the 32-40 that is hanging up!! In fact, the 32-40 is more "shelf-like" than the angle of the other one.

    Now, this would be an easy fix if the barrel were out of the receiver. Yeah.....if.......but it's not. So, I did at first grab a fluted chamfer (I think it has 6 flutes) and just manually began to work it in the receiver hole. It actually fit perfectly......but I was putting chatter marks as I could put any real pressure on it. So, out came the jewelers files and with a half-round file and just slowly worked my way around the hole giving it a nice (or as nice as I could) relatively steep chamfer. So, I got it thru a "first run" and just put the tube back on. I then ran ten rounds thru it......AND.....got only 1 jam!! Not to shabby for the first run!! So, some more time and this time with the magnifying spec's and I will bet I can run twenty thru with no jams. I'm betting that Winchester was counting on nobody ever firing this one. Maybe....maybe not. But at least it is fixable.

    FWIW
    94win30wcf and cynergyou like this.
    I shoot all my rabbits with Hornady's dangerous game bullets.
    Team Winchester #101
    Team 32 Special #149
    Team 38-55 #3
    I got lot's more in the back.....

  3. #3
    Marlin Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    ny state
    Posts
    19,450
    Member #
    62682
    Thanked
    48403 times
    go slow. like your doing. ive seen your problem its rare . im a 94 win freak. she will work out , and when you got it use very very fine sand paper to polish it, presto! good shooting!
    Davetm likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Marlin Marksman
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,156
    Member #
    13183
    Thanked
    1650 times
    Well 94win30wcf, I did manage this am to get back at "it" and put a (what I thought) was a good chamfer all the way around the receiver where the Mag tube matches up to the receiver. I loaded and cycled 20 rounds all of which worked just fine. Of course, 20 rounds is not like loading and shooting say, 50 to 100 rounds, but that's much better than cycling 5 rounds and only having 2 work!!

    So I will need to get out and "field test" the rifle again. Such a chore....such a chore. Oh well.....someone has to do the dirty work I guess.
    94win30wcf and cynergyou like this.
    I shoot all my rabbits with Hornady's dangerous game bullets.
    Team Winchester #101
    Team 32 Special #149
    Team 38-55 #3
    I got lot's more in the back.....

  6. #5
    Marlin Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    ny state
    Posts
    19,450
    Member #
    62682
    Thanked
    48403 times
    range time! yep the proof is in the pudding. good luck.

  7. #6
    Sidewinder
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    209
    Member #
    57178
    Thanked
    394 times
    Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz View Post
    Well......just when I think I have it all figured out.......an airplane flies over and somebody flushes.

    So, I have a '94 that is currently in repair mode (another one) that has a longer mag tube. So, I just cut the spring on that one....plus I leave it a few inches longer for that X-tra push (I'll like get into trouble later for that) load up the mag tube, and Wha-La.....I get the same results. I put 5 rounds in the tube and two feed great....3 don't make it to the pick up link. Ghee...I'm glad I cut that spring.

    So, now I look further. I take the forearm off and examine the tube again, examine the follower again and all of that appears good. So, now I mic the tube inside diameter and compare that to the receiver's dimension where the cartridge "exchange" takes place. Well, there's quite a difference in that the receiver is much smaller. I don't recall that dimension off the top of my head...but it's a good 50-thousands anyway. Or at least 25-thousands all the way around the tube\receiver "connection." So...ok...this is not Winchesters first rodeo on this. So, now I pick up the 94 that I have in repair mode and it's really obvious!! The chamfer of the receiver from the mag tube to the receiver on the 94 in repair mode is much more generous than the 32-40 that is hanging up!! In fact, the 32-40 is more "shelf-like" than the angle of the other one.

    Now, this would be an easy fix if the barrel were out of the receiver. Yeah.....if.......but it's not. So, I did at first grab a fluted chamfer (I think it has 6 flutes) and just manually began to work it in the receiver hole. It actually fit perfectly......but I was putting chatter marks as I could put any real pressure on it. So, out came the jewelers files and with a half-round file and just slowly worked my way around the hole giving it a nice (or as nice as I could) relatively steep chamfer. So, I got it thru a "first run" and just put the tube back on. I then ran ten rounds thru it......AND.....got only 1 jam!! Not to shabby for the first run!! So, some more time and this time with the magnifying spec's and I will bet I can run twenty thru with no jams. I'm betting that Winchester was counting on nobody ever firing this one. Maybe....maybe not. But at least it is fixable.

    FWIW
    Hi davemuzz - You are a genius. I bought a used Win 94 in 30 30 last month. It looked brand new - it was from a 500 gun collection that someone was liquidating through a local shop.

    Gun is accurate, light and handy (16" barrel) but I have the same jam problem as you. I bought a 20" mag tube spring and a new follower from Numeric, I thought the long spring would help. I inspected the mag tube as well and it looks straight and smooth on the inside.

    I think I might have the same problem as you. I haven't checked the receiver but when I get a chance later this week I will. thanks for posting in detail about this issue that you resolved!
    Davetm likes this.

  8. #7
    Marlin Marksman
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,156
    Member #
    13183
    Thanked
    1650 times
    Quote Originally Posted by cynergyou View Post
    Hi davemuzz - You are a genius. I bought a used Win 94 in 30 30 last month. It looked brand new - it was from a 500 gun collection that someone was liquidating through a local shop.

    Gun is accurate, light and handy (16" barrel) but I have the same jam problem as you. I bought a 20" mag tube spring and a new follower from Numeric, I thought the long spring would help. I inspected the mag tube as well and it looks straight and smooth on the inside.

    I think I might have the same problem as you. I haven't checked the receiver but when I get a chance later this week I will. thanks for posting in detail about this issue that you resolved!
    Just to give you the "update"....since I put the "more better" chamfer on the 32-40 I haven't had one round hang up on me. And I've now put about 100 rounds thru this rifle...maybe more. I'm working up loads for this rifle and another 38-55 at the same time and I have no rounds hanging up in either. (Well...except for using the Hornady 165gr. FTX...but that's an OAL issue). So, take your time and it will work out for you!!

    Good luck!!
    I shoot all my rabbits with Hornady's dangerous game bullets.
    Team Winchester #101
    Team 32 Special #149
    Team 38-55 #3
    I got lot's more in the back.....

  9. #8
    Sidewinder
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    209
    Member #
    57178
    Thanked
    394 times
    Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz View Post
    Just to give you the "update"....since I put the "more better" chamfer on the 32-40 I haven't had one round hang up on me. And I've now put about 100 rounds thru this rifle...maybe more. I'm working up loads for this rifle and another 38-55 at the same time and I have no rounds hanging up in either. (Well...except for using the Hornady 165gr. FTX...but that's an OAL issue). So, take your time and it will work out for you!!

    Good luck!!
    davemuzz,

    thanks for the tips. i compared the receiver on my jammin' 30-30 to the receiver on my non-jammin .44 mag win 94. The 44 mag win 94 had the chamfer/bevel like you described.

    I stopped by Harbor Freight this evening after work and bought a countersink tool and a driver extension. I used the tool to bevel the edge, then I used a thin wooden dowel and several strips of emory paper (220, 320, 400, 600, and 1500) to smooth out the bevel.

    I reassembled the gun and test fed it and it worked! thanks again for the tips!

    This is tool that I bought from harbor freight... the 5/8" diameter countersink tool worked well:

    3-In-1 Hex Bit Countersink Tool
    Last edited by cynergyou; 03-11-2016 at 11:17 PM.

  10. #9
    Marlin Marksman
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,007
    Member #
    54991
    Thanked
    1886 times
    I fix a lot of marlins with the old compare a part to one that works trick. Good job figuring it out!


Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. I need assistance to qualify for NRA's special Lifetime Membership offer
    By SwampDude in forum General Gun Related Off Topic Stuff
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-26-2012, 08:54 AM
  2. Winchester 170 gr. Power Points tested by Winchester
    By 30wcf in forum Ammunition Test Results
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-02-2009, 11:24 AM
  3. Winchester Model 94 BB .375 Winchester caliber.
    By 1903A3 in forum General Gun Related Off Topic Stuff
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-30-2005, 11:44 PM