Marlin Firearms Forum banner

Marshall Tucker Band

3K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  Waffletop 
#1 ·
One of my favorite bands and Toy Caldwell will always be my favorite guitar player.

#13 ·
:dito: :congrats: :dito:

Reactions: miket156
#16 ·
I told this story on here the other day. in the 80s or early 90s, I think 85 or so when I use to drink. me and a buddy stopped in a little dive bar in Charleston SC there was a band with about four fellers on a little stage area. we sat at a table right up front, there were few people in this small place. when they started to sing my mouth fell open! I couldn't believe it, it was the marshal tucker band! when the took a break they came over, shook our hands and talked a few minutes. the funny thing was my friend was sort of a collage type that led a sheltered life, he ask me who is marshal tucker? they were down to earth and very nice,,,,,,,,,,

#18 ·
Indeed, they were good people and it shone through. I only got to see them in concert twice, I had tickets for a third show but it was canceled when Tommy died.
I met Toy Caldwell once in person..he was my hero, we heard him doing an interview on the radio in St Louis so we rushed to the radio station and waited outside till the interview was over, he came out and I damn near tackled him I was so excited, we shook hands and talked a bit and he signed my cowboy hat. I will never forget it and how nice he was.

#19 ·
WaffleT, The folks from Missouri ain't bad either. I have been married to one for almost 40 years! She was from the Independence area and as a child went to Church with the Harry and Bess and Margaret Truman. One of my favorite stories of her childhood is why she wondered how the "Old Guy got to dedicate the new fellowship hall".

Reactions: Waffletop
#20 · (Edited)
Some friends of mine and me saw the Marshall Tucker band at Bucknell University back in the seventies. Charlie Daniels Band opened for Marshall Tucker Band. WOW what a great show. You might think that my home state of PA consists of Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Wilkes-Barre-Scranton and is filled with Urban Marxists and other forms of Communists.

However, the biggest industry in my home state is still FARMING, even though a lot of small farms were sold off to housing developers.

If you review the voting record of the state, you will see that the Cities vote for the Marxists, and rural people are Conservatives. So goes our musical taste.

The Show is one of the great memories I have from those early days. The people loved Charlie Daniels fiddle playing so much, they brought Charlie back on stage to play along with his band for their set. As a musician and keyboard player most of my life, I played songs by groups that I liked (whether the local audience did or not) and The Marshall Tucker band is on my List."Heard it in a Love Song" and "Fire on the mountain" were some of my favorites. I still have some of their Vinyl LP's in my bedroom. Great Group that sounded "just like their records" LIVE. I had no idea that so many of those guys died young. :s:

Mike T.

Reactions: Waffletop
#35 ·
Some friends of mine and me saw the Marshall Tucker band at Bucknell University back in the seventies. Charlie Daniels Band opened for Marshall Tucker Band. WOW what a great show. You might think that my home state of PA consists of Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Wilkes-Barre-Scranton and is filled with Urban Marxists and other forms of Communists.

However, the biggest industry in my home state is still FARMING, even though a lot of small farms were sold off to housing developers.

If you review the voting record of the state, you will see that the Cities vote for the Marxists, and rural people are Conservatives. So goes our musical taste.

The Show is one of the great memories I have from those early days. The people loved Charlie Daniels fiddle playing so much, they brought Charlie back on stage to play along with his band for their set. As a musician and keyboard player most of my life, I played songs by groups that I liked (whether the local audience did or not) and The Marshall Tucker band is on my List."Heard it in a Love Song" and "Fire on the mountain" were some of my favorites. I still have some of their Vinyl LP's in my bedroom. Great Group that sounded "just like their records" LIVE. I had no idea that so many of those guys died young. :s:

Mike T.
Somewhere back about '79-'80 The Charlie Daniels Band sold out Pittsburgh's Civic Arena (apx 17,000 seats for a concert) TWICE in less than a year.

#21 ·
You boys remember the story how Marshall Tucker Band got their name? They first got together, the band had no name, but thought their sound was good. They needed a place to practice so they rented some warehouse space in Spartanburg. When the real estate agent handed them the keys, one of the little plastic tags had 'Marshall Tucker' on it, the name of the last person to rent that space. It sounded good, so the band adopted that name.

It turned out that Marshall Tucker was a piano tuner, fairly well known in the local area because he was blind.

#24 ·
A group like Marshall Tucker Band is a reminder of what "was" good about America back in the day. Certainly NOT the Communists that have taken over Washington DC and the urban waste lands that are cities. Southern state leaders warned us what would happen if the Yankees controlled Washington, their warnings were not heeded and just look where we have arrived as a country now. :frown:

It will not end well. :musicus:

Mike T.

Reactions: lever30
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.