Every Thing Old is New Again - Carrying Lever Gun Ammo in the 21st Century
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Every Thing Old is New Again - Carrying Lever Gun Ammo in the 21st Century

Sidewinder
    Member #

Every Thing Old is New Again - Carrying Lever Gun Ammo in the 21st Century

If you own a 30-30, tradition says leather ammo holders are a must for your rifle and your belt. But as anybody knows after a while, leather turns your nice brass cartridges green, and it ain't from envy.

But low and behold some new fangled gear, much of which was made for the AR 15 or military snipers can come in pretty handy for your old West 30-30 at dirt cheap prices too boot.

First up is the ubiquitous AR 15 30 round Mag Pouch. Built to hold two 30 round 5.56MM mag, it also does nicely as a 20 Round 30-30 ammo pouch. And you may have one lying around, or they can be found at nearest Army surplus store. Also as camo goes in and out of fashion, bargains abound like this below can be had for a mere $5.88 plus shipping: And the Molle Mag pouch will also fit on any belt or pack by simply adjusting the straps on back to suit.

https://www.tacticalassaultgearstore...-combat-1.html

So now your saying how do I get 20 rounds of 30-30's in the danged thing?? Glad you asked. In this case you use a 20 round 308 cal ammo card originally developed for military sniper use, like this:

Red Tac Gear 20 Round Ammo Card - OC Tactical

Oddly enough the Red Tac 20 round ammo card is just a little smaller than two 30 Round AR Mag. Color doesn't matter, and one 20 round - 308 sized ammo card fits nicely into an AR15 Mag Pouch. And at $20.50 plus shipping it's a cheaper option than most quality leather ammo slides, and holds more ammo to boot. The piece of para cord on the end makes it easy to pull out.

If your a doomsday Prepper or into fighting zombies you can get double and triple AR 15 mag pouches to hold 60 rounds or more for just a few bucks more....

Finally we come to stock pouches that carry ammo. Leather here again is traditional, expensive, and keeps you looking a bit like Jeremiah Johnson. But lets face it, many of you have scopes and red dots on your old Marlin smoke pole and don't feel a bit shy about it, nor should you.

So it's time for a well made and useful stock pouch that's not leather and won't slip like elastic, from Hill People Gear. I have several in the 30 cal flavor, which I use for 30-30 Win, 357 mag lever actions, and on a 6.5 Grendel bolt action. And the window to put drop data on is quite handy.

Hill People Gear | Real use gear for backcountry travelers

As always IMHO and YMMV.......
    Last edited by BobinNC; 04-22-2020 at 07:09 PM. Reason: clarity
    Team Wheelguns Member #108
    Team Old Pharts
    Team 30-30 Member #1461

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    I get amused at some of the prepper types who would look down the barrel of a firearm before clearing it. They buy expensive camo and get assault vests and anything else that is tacti-cool. I was talking to one at the LGS and he ridiculed my lever guns for not being suitable for anything besides a trot line weight. I asked him how many times he tagged out in the last 3 years. Unsurprisingly the answer was none. I filled all my tags, deer and elk with my .45-70 or my bow. As he scoffed I told him I didn’t need crazy expensive camouflage, just a decent set and a knowledge of the game. Walked away as the rest of the folks laughed at him. Almost felt sorry...
    Last edited by Kevin.M; 04-22-2020 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Typo
    “Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act.” Dietrich Bonhoeffer

NRA Life Member, 45-70, .30-.30.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    I don't know what to say, but if a magazine tube full of ammo isn't enough to take down an animal, a bigger gun or a change in technique is in the future. Sure, take some extra ammo along, but put it in your day pack or pocket, along with your lunch and kit for field dressing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Tinhorn
    Member #
    I think I met the same guys looking at pistols. They were looking for a deal on a couple of imported, rusty something or others that the store had on sale for $198.

I ask them what they planned to do with such Treasures,their reply was"Concealed Handgun Permit" I told them for a few hundred more they could buy a quality firearm that would serve them well when their life depended on it.

Their reply was " why would I need to spend money on a gun like a Glock or Springfield that will fire under water", I don't plan on going swimming with it. Problem solved, now I know how the Darwin Award winners are selected every year.

I know that opinions very greatly when it comes to Firearms, but trusting my life to a discounted paperweight is not my idea of a good time...
    CobraBG, 1Forecon, vt4ster and 1 others like this.

Wrangler
    Member #
    Interesting links Bob. Thanks.
    Kevin.M likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rifrench View Post
    I don't know what to say, but if a magazine tube full of ammo isn't enough to take down an animal, a bigger gun or a change in technique is in the future. Sure, take some extra ammo along, but put it in your day pack or pocket, along with your lunch and kit for field dressing.
    If you don't know what to say, sometimes your better off saying nothing at all. I bet you think having a lightweight rifle rest on your pack is stupid as well. Guess what everything is not just about hunting and taking down bambi. I made no mention of hunting above, just ways of carrying extra ammo, inexpensively. And because an ammo card can hold 20 rounds it doesn't mean you have to fill it full. Most day hunts only 10 rounds will do. Put 5 or 6 in the gun, and go hunt

And even when hunting, sometimes your hunt is for days, and no going back to the truck or house for more ammo. And yes, If you look at the pack below it has Molle straps where the ammo pouch listed above can strap too. The rifle rest is Molle as well and it comes right off, and can be replaced by something else.

DSCF0614 (2).JPG
    Adirondak.35 likes this.
    Team Old Pharts
    Team 30-30 Member #1461

Wrangler
    Member #
    Nice rifle. I like the rest. I didn't know they existed.
    vt4ster likes this.

Sidewinder
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Adirondak.35 View Post
    Nice rifle. I like the rest. I didn't know they existed.
    They were made by Tag Gear. Here a better view of one, stock footage not mine, but the rifle rest is the same.

Molle pack.jpg

As for the rifle it's a custom Remington 700 7mm-08 I used for Long Range Competition back when I was healthier. I've shot it out to 1250 yds. Here's a better view sporting some different glass and an Atlas Bi-pod.

DSCF0706.JPG
    vt4ster and Padraig like this.
    Team Old Pharts
    Team 30-30 Member #1461

Wrangler
    Member #
    BobinNC,
    I am all about the carrying of extra ammo and accessories. Looks to me like you have a modern day "possibles pack."
    I purchased a tactical rifle case. it has 4 magazine pouches on the side plus a large zippered pocket.
    My Marlin lever fits nicely in the case and ammo and other possibles go in the pockets.
    I like the grab and go feature when heading to camp.
    BobinNC likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #

Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links