Ameristep Dog House Blind Pre-Use Review.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Ameristep Dog House Blind Pre-Use Review.

Distinguished Master
    Member #

Ameristep Dog House Blind Pre-Use Review.

I never thought this would happen to me....

For all my hunting, I have always chose to "still hunt" (walk slowly, stop, study the surroundings, and then do it over and over again). I have always felt that I see more game by hunting this way than any other.

I guess I have finally reached that point in my life (age) where the walks have become shorter, and the pain afterward has become greater. My buddy has been hunting a small pop up blind for a couple of years now and likes doing so. He uses his blind in the mornings, still hunts midday, then returns to his blind for the late afternoon hunt. He encouraged me to give it a go. Doing this requires a bit of time pre-season scouting for a good spot to set up the blind, but also allows for a bit of still hunting during the midday.

I studied the smaller blinds that were on the market...there are many....and ended up choosing the Ameristep Dog House. A little shopping on line found one in Real Tree camo pattern, on sale, for 50.00.

I wanted to air the blind out before use, and set it up in the backyard. This gave me a good chance to choose a suitable folding chair for the purpose and get a feel for the blind, its set up and take down procedure, and to check for any flaws that could impact its use.

The Ameristep Dog House blind (which is promoted as a "two man blind") when set up has a 60" X 60" by 66" tall interior space....lots of room for me, any gear I choose to bring along, and enough room to wield a rifle comfortably to shoot out of any of the zippered openings. So far, so good. For one man use it seems to be superb.

The Dog House has a huge entrance area that when partially zippered up becomes a full side width shooting window, the other three sides also have the large zippered shooting windows and within those windows there are smaller shooting windows that have the "shoot through" mesh installed. The mesh is Velcro'd and can be easy folded down out of the way, or removed if desired. The large and small shooting access windows can be fully or partially unzipped. There are a lot of options for a full 360 degree view of the hunting area. There are also exterior "ties" on all four corners, top and bottom, for brushing out the blind for greater concealment.

The Dog House comes with metal hold down stakes (7) and "wind tie downs" as well....carrying bags for the crossbows for the top of the tent, and the hold down stakes, and a carrying case for the tent with over the shoulder straps. Weight of the packed blind is about 10 to 11 pounds, so, it is easily transportable to the hunting site.

I thoroughly checked out the blind for flaws and found one that many purchasers of this (and other blinds) have noted. In a few areas along the seams daylight can be seen (pin holes), and there are a few areas of the outer shell that have been missed by the rubberized undercoating. Most users seal the exterior with a waterproofing treatment with UV protectant (to reduce long term use fading of the shell), and touch up the pin holes and bare spots of the interior of the shell with a rubberized spray, and according to them this makes the blind as close to 100% weather proof as possible.

So, all in all I got what I expected from the online reviews, and a little touch up here and there is in order, but for the price and the benefits the Ameristep Dog House blind looks to be a pretty decent alternative to sitting exposed to weather, while adding a good deal of concealment.

This blind will be set up for the long term...it will be interesting to see how it "weathers" over time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Overkill.............is WAY underrated."
    https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/new-sg35-sg444-home/

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    I have had one for a while and while I don’t use it every year it definitely is worth the money. Great for one person, but would be tight for two. A little tricky folding it until you do it once or twice. I would recommend. I left mine set up for weeks at a time and unless damaged by wind or falling branches, it holds up well.
    Team 1894 member #67 1977 44 mag.
    Team 35 member #256 1964 Sears M45
    Team 444 member #355 1981 444S
    Team 30 30 member #830
    1980 Marlin 3080 Trail Rider & Win 94 Custom Trapper

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I left mine set-up one time and came back and was ripped to shreds. best I can figger is a bear got in it and only way out was to rip it to shreds!. wish I had put a camera on the blind!. now back to still hunting and sitting in the woods on a stump.
    Ret_Eng, cajun56, Flat Top and 3 others like this.
    WHEN THE PEOPLE FEAR THE GOVERNMENT THERE IS TYRANNY, WHEN THE GOVERNMENT FEARS THE PEOPLE , THERE IS LIBERTY......... Thomas Jefferson

life member NRA

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Sidewinder
    Member #
    bring a stapler and burlap. ,blends in well with leaves on ground
    Flat Top and moofy07 like this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    I have an earlier version of that blind and it has worked well for me but I don't leave it up year around. My blind was advertised as a two man blind--but not in reality. My grandson and I fit just fine but two adults would have problems.
    Flat Top and mrguvna like this.
    Rotary Mag Savage 99 lover
    Model 336A/336XLR 24 inch barrel hoarder
    Too many Marlins to list--especially the ones in 35 Rem
    Lovin' life in a Red State and hope it stays that way
    U.S. Army Retired (1984-2004) Yeah--spent time doin' the OEF/OIF thing

Super Moderator
    Member #
    I have been considering something similar and appreciate your review. Where did you buy it?
    cajun56, Flat Top and GrumpyBear like this.

Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    A friend uses one, she can't climb anymore. She has had deer almost stick their head through the window. One thing to remember during firearms, in my state you have to put orange on the outside somewhere. I have an orange hat I put on the roof, also put a vest on a nearby tree. REALLY don't want to get shot. My friend loves hers. Hope you do too.

I have a hub style blind. I really like it, but it weighs around 30 lbs.
    V
    mrguvna and Flat Top like this.

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I've had one for several years. I think these types of blinds are the best thing to come along in a long time.

Fairly easy to carry, easy to set up, fairly easy to stow with some practice. They get you out of the wind (and rain and snow) but still let you see and hear everything around, and without the need to sit perfectly still for hours at a time. You can stand up (sort of) to stretch arthritic knees, read a book, take a nap. I've had mine up for up to 2 weeks at a time without issues.

Within 15 minutes of setting up the woods are back to normal, and critters don't seem to mind the blind at all. I've had curious squirrels and birds try to come inside. I've used mine year-round to get some decent nature photos.

I'm sold on them, and would be hard pressed to sit in the woods without one.
    Team .45-70 #913
    Team Wheelguns #14
    Team Semi-Auto #7
    Team Remington 700 #65

Distinguished Master
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by kingstrider View Post
    I have been considering something similar and appreciate your review. Where did you buy it?
    Truthfully I dont remember...but I "think" it may have been Amazon? I checked everywhere on line, and ordered the the least expensive...I believe the price was 47.00 and change.... "on sale". Although these blinds are made and sold under the Ameristep brand name, some websites sell them under "other" brand names as well, but they are manufactured by Ameristep....there are also "similar" types of hunting blinds that are not the Ameristep product. If you are in doubt you can call Ameristep (I did) to verify that it is their product. Ameristep offers a warranty and replace parts and that is why I thought it best to get the Ameristep product.
    GrumpyBear likes this.
    "Overkill.............is WAY underrated."
    https://www.marlinowners.com/forum/new-sg35-sg444-home/

Gun Wizard
    Member #
    I also have the Ameristep Doghouse blind and like it also.... works great.
    Flat Top and GrumpyBear like this.
    "Nothing says justice like a Rope"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links