ED'S RED BORE CLEANER
Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By BABore
  • 2 Post By Mojo^

Thread: ED'S RED BORE CLEANER

Wrangler
    Member #

ED'S RED BORE CLEANER

Thought I'd post the recipe for "Ed's Red" bore cleaner. It's been brought up in a few post and some may not know what it is. Ed Harris, an oldtime bullet caster, writer, and shooter, developed his own bore cleaner from common over-the-counter ingredients. A commercial versions of "Ed' Red" is now available from Brownells for 4-5 bucks for a small bottle. It cost me $12 to make a gallon. It works very well for powder fouling and lead fouling, but does nothing for copper fouling. I use it for general cleaning on all guns and save the more expensive copper removing solvents til the end if needed. You can also plug your bore for an overnite soak with it.

Ed's Red

1 part Quaker State ATF+3 transmission fluid
    1 part Mineral Spirits
    1 part Kerosene
    1 part Acetone

Just mix all the stuff together in a couple of gallon glass jugs or new plastic fuel container and shake well to mix. I got most all of the ingredients at Menards. Try to get the deodorized kerosene and mineral spirits if available for your nose's sake. If you want to turn Ed's Red into a good rust control agent, add some anhydrous lanolin. Heat a couple of teaspoons of lanolin until just liquid, don't heat til it smokes as you'll ruin it. Add it with the mineral oil and shake well, then add the rest of the stuff.

As a side note, Anhydrous Lanolin is probably one of the best case lubricants I have found. It's even better than Reddings Imperial Sizing Wax. Apply it lightly with your fingers, size, and it wipes right off. I found the jar I have at http://www.thesage.com/catalog/FixedOil.html . I originally bought it for making cast bullet lube.

Wrangler
    Member #

ED'S RED BORE CLEANER

Up to 1 lb. of lanolin can be added to a full gallon of Ed's Red. Believe me, it makes a difference and is worth the extra effort. I melt mine in a double boiler on the stove.
    unclesarge58 and Kevin.M like this.
    quot;The Constitution does not say Government shall decree the right to bear arms, the Constitution says the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed". - Ronald Reagan

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links