• 4 Post By RHP
  • 4 Post By gunscrewguy
  • 3 Post By Bobshouse
  • 2 Post By Vooch

Thread: Poor Boy Cerakote operation

Wrangler
    Member #

Poor Boy Cerakote operation

So, before you say anything, yes I realize there are better, sweeter neater and generally much classier operations....

But Poor folk got Poor ways.

So for my needs (at this time) a small oven to bake off the washed and prepped parts and then to cure the sprayed parts. After many visits to YouTube (What a WONDERFUL place for any body who want to know how to do anything!) I narrowed my field to about 20 different possibilities for (mostly) home built ovens. I went to Craigslist Houston and the very first thing that showed when I typed in Lockers in the general for sale area was this gun cabinet (photo attached). $40.00 American - I drove across town and bought it. The guy was having a garage sale and I ended up with an additional 10 bucks worth of tools I may actually use someday....
    20190530_174010-X2.jpg
    20190530_174030-X2.jpg

Today I visited the local Goodwill store and found a toaster oven $10.00 plus tax. Removed the door and trays and I "hope" to just place the little oven inside the locker and fasten it to the rear wall with a screw to hold it steady.
    The oven has a convection feature which means it will have some circulation inside the locker. Hopefully enough to prevent hotspot areas and to get an even cure of the product.
    I sure use Hope and Hopefully a lot......
    20190530_174052-X3.jpg
    20190530_174102-X3.jpg
    Will the oven controls hold up being inside the locker when heated to 300 F? Hopefully.

Tomorrow WW Grainger for the (dreaded and dreadful) foil backed rockwool for an outside wrap and some foil tape.

Then, If the little oven can't cut the mustard I will add a stand alone heating element with thermostatic control from WalMart. Another 50.00 bucks.

I can see a trip or two to Harbor Freight in the near future for a compressor, sand blast box and a cheesy spray gun.
    I like it. I love it. Can't get enough of it.

Lever Action Silhouette Rifle - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....

RHP
    Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Merlin View Post
    I can see a trip or two to Harbor Freight in the near future for a compressor, sand blast box and a cheesy spray gun.
    If you have a Tractor Supply near you, they sell a better blast cabinet for about the same price, name brand Jobsmart.

I've only been doing pistol frames, but use a cheap air brush set-up from the hobby store.
    Vooch, cajun56, 1Merlin and 1 others like this.

Contributing Member
    Member #
    I find Tractor Supply and Northern tool to be a couple of notches above Harbor Freight.

AC

4. Remove Advertisements
    MarlinOwners.com
    Advertisements

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by RHP View Post
    If you have a Tractor Supply near you, they sell a better blast cabinet for about the same price, name brand Jobsmart.

I've only been doing pistol frames, but use a cheap air brush set-up from the hobby store.
    Ahhhh... Yes Sir. Good info indeed. YouTube had a Bunch of "how to fix a Harbor Freight blast cabinet" vids. There are a few Tractor Supplys not far from my domicile and I will definitely have a look see. Thanks!

I will be doing some pistol frames and slides also but right now I am HOT for my Marlins!!!

Lever Action Silhouette Rifle - You get more clang for your bang with lever action silhouette.....

Wrangler
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by gunscrewguy View Post
    I find Tractor Supply and Northern tool to be a couple of notches above Harbor Freight.

AC
    And a Northern Tool 14.9 miles. More toy shopping!

Marlin Marksman
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by gunscrewguy View Post

AC
    Why? Are they made in a better part of China?
    cajun56, 1Merlin and Travlin like this.
    6'x8' two man rooms with toilets. 23 Years in a Federal Penitentiary

Certified Gunnut
    Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Merlin View Post
    After many visits to YouTube (What a WONDERFUL place for any body who want to know how to do anything!)
    Agreed, and I'm looking forward to following your progress on this project.

Vooch

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    1Merlin and Travlin like this.

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New | Subscribed Threads

Sponsored Links